MaidSafe rebuilding secure decentralised internet with BnkToTheFuture equity fundraising

Will there be the institution of a special currency on the maid safe network that can represent shares, so we can transfer ownership from BNKTOTHEFUTURE shares into a dividend paying system on the network itself?

Iā€™d like to also point out to naysayers that this effectively pegs the stock to not be less than the equivalent of safe coins, which will save the price from crashing come BNKTOTHEFUTURE opening their market. As buyers will recognize that itā€™s worth an equivalent exchange of safe coins.

3 Likes

Can someone other than me give a brief summary of what owning shares in the SPV entails?

I thought I had a handle on what exactly it meant to own the shares, but itā€™s been a considerable amount of time, and either I canā€™t find the information my brain has based itā€™s belief upon or I have gotten it wrong all this time.

I need to know soon, because I think I might have given bad information to someone who was buying shares from me and I want to solve it now if I can.

AFAIK it is all pretty standard. The SPV is the entity that owns the shares. You own a portion of that SPV. Voting rights etc are pointless and not even worth thinking about unless you invest millions. Your share of an SPV should not be considered liquid. You are essentially stuck waiting for an IPO or a buy-out. As it happens they might end up more liquid as MaidSafe and BttF both have plans to make them so - MaidSafe will offer SafeCoins for shares and BttF might open a secondary market. BttF also facilitates OTC trading, so there is some liquidity if people can find their own buyers.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s much more thatā€™s really important to get your head around with SPV shares. These companies have not gone public, so they are not open to the public to buy ā€˜sharesā€™ and you are signing up to a long term play when you buy in. Thatā€™s why only qualifying/sophisticated (lol) investors can participate through an ā€˜SPVā€™. The whole thing is apparently just a nod to regulations that are designed to keep joe public away, so he doesnā€™t spunk his saving and go moaning to them about it. I think the SPV itself and the self-certification are just ways around the red tape so joe public can get a taste of the VC pie. ICOs have made it all a bit laughable though now really. Without a secondary market BttFā€™s business model isnā€™t looking nearly as good as it once was.

6 Likes

Well done Jabba. Although this is actually part I actually have nailed down, itā€™s the value of the shares that Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve wrapped my head around correctly because going over the material available compared to what I remembered holding the shares entitled me are almost universes different than what I remember?

HALP?

1 Like

Think they were based on a circa Ā£30M valuation at the time. Roughly Ā£25 per share. I donā€™t know what MaidSafe the company is worth now, but obvs the coins have gone 10x in $value since then. I should imagine the shares should be worth at least 4-5x, maybe more.

On top of that youā€™ll get half the Ā£ value of the stake in SafeCoin for free as a bonus, so if the coins are worth Ā£2 at launch (very conservative imo) youā€™ll get your entire stake back for free. Then you have the buy-back option for 105 SafeCoins per share post-launch (could be thousands per share if weā€™re lucky), or the long plod for a multi-billion dollar buy-out or IPO. Or perhaps weā€™ll get a a liquid BttF market that sees share values rocket in the near future in the same way the coins have, in which case those shares could be liquid and have a much higher value even in the short term (early 2018).

The ā€˜valueā€™ is hard to pin down. At the end of the day I guess the value is really just what the next person is willing to pay for them. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So my confusion is centered around the fact that because of the shares I have shared ownership in the MAID safe company.

The way I understood this (and now reviewing the information I may have this entirely fabricated in my own mind) is that the company will be earning value from the network, in turn having shared ownership means Iā€™m guarenteed a share of this profit?

Equity works in several ways. You can hold then sell at a profit (hopefully) and this is the most common. However, some companies also pay dividends, these are paid from holdings, or net profits at a rate set by a board. Many tech companies do not pay dividends. MaidSafe may or may not, it will all depend on circumstances at the time. The foundation gets better funds if it did though and its a large shareholder.

So no guaranteed profit share at all, but possibility of profits meaning higher value of shares (normally) and possibly dividend payments along the way.

In terms of owning a share of the company, absolutely you do and your in good company. However the share may be small in terms of %. Usually 10% gives minority protection, 25% right of veto, >75% is full control, pass special resolutions etc. Companies can alter these numbers via shareholder agreement.

Hth

4 Likes

I hope not! Iā€™m sure you guys will have a lot of opportunities to allocate capital and get a much higher return than I could get if you paid a dividend. If it comes to that, Iā€™d probably use any dividend payment to buy more SafeCoin.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that I didnā€™t want to misrepresent the product, but couldnā€™t find where I had pulled my information from.

Someone check my math in this hypothetical example:
Should MAIDsafe the company reach the valuation of a 1 billion, then the 2.31% equity offering (only 2.31% sold of the allocated 6.25%) would look like $23,100,000 for the 2.31% that hold shares. That means that someone thatā€™s holding ownership for (48 shares) .0034% of the 2.31% equity would have roughly the equivalent of $78,540

Best to stick with the value of a single share and multiply that up to the amount you have. so right now people will buy shares at $X, if stuff happens the X changes, but the changes can be profits, promise of profits, promise of Z (whatever Z is). The value of a share then will be whatever it is. Using % will only confuse and bewilder as dilutions happen with every new investment in equity etc. splits can happen etc. So sticking to the value of a single share is much much easier.

3 Likes

Well as an official fatcat shareholder, I demand daily 5 hour meetings with the entire development team, to discuss urgent topics ranging from my favorite color to my feelings about recent crushes, etc.

(haha JK, lightening the mood. I know thatā€™s your guysā€™ biggest annoyance, meetings).

6 Likes

any chance you still have some MAID stock you would sell?

1 Like

Yes sir. I still have 1 last batch.

i would like to learn more about this and how you might consider divvying it up, I honestly donā€™t have much cash right now at the moment but it would be interesting to hear regardless. Maybe I could afford 1 share :smile: .

I have several batch of shares and I have to rebalance my finances on occasion. Iā€™m involved in several startups and all have their own respective drains on my capital. So regardless of much I have profited, and believe in the MAID safe project.

Family comes first and financial insolvency is not an option :frowning:

So the last couple batches I had were priced out at around 1 BTC when BTC was equivalent to around $12-15,000. Of course, weā€™ve made serious progress since then, and the price of MAID safe has doubled.

One way to look at it is that 1 share is directly equivalent to 105 coins. So one share can be brought back for 105 maid safe coins on network launch.

One of the main price points is that Bnktothefuture (the brokerage) is creating a market where the shares can be bought and sold. This is coming in June, which means the shares COULD hit a price multiplier exceeding that of the coins themselves. Since holding shares in the company means co-ownership.

These are the value propositions in a nutshell.

1 Like

Interesting, so there was an offering in the company where 1 share is equivalent to roughly x100 coins but has the ability to increase in value as well based on market pressure(that is currently non existent but will be come June if I understand correctly)? I would probably buy 500 bucks give or take a little worth @ 5 shares if you are interested, until tax return I donā€™t have much liquidity, the more people you sell to the more opportunity we have to get many involved in the maid project with a stake rather than just pure crypto traders or high rollers. Maybe buying a share in MAID years from now will be like owning an original share in Microsoft or Apple huh :smile:

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™ve done the maths wrong here, but I had a quick look on Companies house, and Maidsafe appear to have issued roughly 3.5 million shares. This would mean that if the company was worth 1 billion dollars then each share would be worth $285. Maybe Iā€™m missing something, but if thatā€™s the case then $100 a share seems a lot at this stage.

2 Likes

Not as simple (never is), initial shares were at a value of 2pounds per share, then a load at a value of 10per share and then some at 20-25 per share. The company valuation went from 2 million to just over 25million with the 105 safecoins per share the valuation right now would be very much higher, but it is all subjective. Its what people will pay, for us though we went for a huge number of small investors and kept away from institutions. This is to spread the uptake/profit all going well. So far all investors should be in good profit, but I dontā€™t think we have even started yet and all these so called small people, I hope will have plenty of funds to support other crazy projects that can change the world just that little bit.

12 Likes

Thanks for clarifying :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes