MaidSafe Presentation PDF

I’ve maid a small presentation of the maidsafe system (mostly cut&paste from the SystemDocs) but more compact to send out as publicity.

Presentation PDF

I start this topic so different ideas can be placed here.
If some core member can validate it’s allowed to send this out, this would be nice.

Maybe better wait with publicity till testnet3 is out ?

Better designs are welcome, please place them in this topic.

8 Likes

Where can we see this

Forgot the link, it’s updated
Greetz

1 Like

Looks very nice. Who are you imagining sending this to?

My first thought is - that’s a lot of technical detail for a flyer - so it needs to be preceded by an easy to understand description of features and benefits, or else to be targetted at people who know that already (but I can’t think of who they are - as its a flyer).

I’ve done a little work - just notes really - some of that kind of intro / high level stuff in preparation for when I give talks. So if useful I can post it for you to look at, but maybe you have something else in mind for this?

1 Like

Certainly nice work, choosing most vital topics.

I imagine MaidSafe Team will assemble one of these pamphlets when the network is completed; this way a @dirvine and an @nicklambert will have some space on the task list for these types of things - community facing content much like the recently assembled

http://maidsafe.net/roadmap

1 Like

Yes I think the way we present the network; the terminology and the visuals we use, will continually change over time. Of course, the material you distribute depends on who the targeted audience is and how familiar they are with the SAFE Network. I personally still think the 5 minute intro video works really well for newbies.

6 Likes

Thanks,

I think there should be different presentations, each for best purposes…

Technical papers (Insecure, Hackin9, HITB, …)
Investors (wallstreet journal, bloomberg, …) muhaha yeah thinking great somethimes :wink:
Newbies (everywhere)

2 Likes

That’s the video @nicklambert is refering to…

Also there is this thing, I wrote some months ago O_O

Intended to be colloquial sentences for explaining the network to an audience such as engineers, project managers, moderately sophisticated technology enthusiasts, and those who could intend to explore the inner workings of the MaidSafe Core.

Also, @ioptio has given many presentations over the past couple of months with an all encompassing overview of the network, for at least 30 minutes up to an hour.

3 Likes

Sure, who is this one for?

Here are the points that I’ve refined my 30-50 minute intro presentation to cover:

The Internet is broken

• Highly centralized and dependent on servers
  • Everything on the internet is dependent on servers (websites, email, even Bittorrent trackers)
  • The “cloud” (AKA a bunch of servers) is nothing more than computers owned and controlled by other people
  • a lot of the time these servers are owned by large corporations who often also own and operate many services (email, storage, web hosting, shopping, search, content distribution)
  • the fact that servers are costly to maintain and secure creates incentive for monopolizing services

Evolving the Internet

• Independence from central servers
  • no need to trust individuals security and benevolence (trustless)
  • evolving the “cloud” into a decentralized network of computers where storage and computing is distributed
  • think SETI@home where individuals give spare computing to help detect frequencies in space but for the entire Internet

Before discussing tech, ant colony analogy

• ant colonies are a prime example of complexity from simplicity
  • division of labor (worker, forager, etc)
  • adaptability between roles gives the colony resiliency
  • Examples of why ants might need to change roles (big pile of food to bring back to nest, nest being attacked, etc)
  • these sorts of features is how super colonies form
  • example of Argentine global colony
  • recap: ant colonies find strength in specialization, adaptability, communication and numbers

MAID

• massive array of internet disks
  • abundant computational resources
  • connecting all devices at most fundamental level
  • a global Internet for connection p2p (to replace servers as hubs of connections)
  • hardware, CPU combined into one global cyber brain
  • reference how neurons are constantly firing, listening, working to make a single complex system, the brain
  • not like skynet, though (remind of specialization of roles in ants + simplicity of individual ants)
  • vaults intro
  • any person with an internet connection and a devices can create a vault
  • how much to allocate to network is decided by device owner
  • hard drive space, processing/CPU and bandwidth are all factors to decide on
  • vaults have specific roles to fill as a part of the network which makes the it autonomous / self managing
  • storing distributed data (come back to that)
  • processing data interactions for other vaults (reference data managers)
  • verifying and validating other vaults
  • **reminder that the specialized roles makes the level of trust for each vault minimal - many vaults are responsible for the various management and verification roles for each individual vault/piece of data, not one vault will have absolute knowledge… ever
  • **note: these roles are chosen in essentially a random manner, no way to predetermine which role your vault will play at any given time
  • ***note: there is also a ranking mechanism that weeds out (de-ranks) nodes not acting properly
  • distributing data
  • data is split into chunks and stored redundantly (at least 4 copies per chunk)
  • chunks are encrypted and mapped through a process called self encryption
  • chunks are distributed independently across the entire network
  • this ensures data isn’t tampered with, seen by others, deleted unintentionally or lost
  • communcation
    • uses existing infrastructure (4g, wifi, etc… and one day, meshnets!)
  • hardware is now advanced enough for supporting vaults constant communication (would have been much harder to launch this 5 yrs ago)
  • vaults create direct connections to others (again, serverless)
  • this mesh of connections make up the MAID
  • vaults are constantly calling + listening for communication from others about the network or data on it
  • the underlying infrastructure (MAID) is what enables SAFE

SAFE

• secure access for everyone
  • built with several thoroughly tested and innovative crypto and obfuscation schemes
  • people connect to network with total privacy, security and freedom
  • based on public key cryptography, people log in with a process called self authentication
  • when logging in, a user decrypts a packet of info sent by data managers and then sends it back re-encrypted for vaults to verify
  • private key is never known to network (first of it’s kind!!!)
  • with access to network, people can save data
  • shared privately, publicly or kept 100% private
  • data can be accessed from anywhere in the globe (devices can break, restore same account on any device without issue)
  • data can be stored in any format enabling a wide range of use cases
  • developers can build applications which interact with this data
  • expect to see web browsing, remote file storage, messaging, social networking, VoIP or anything that exists on the Internet today… and more!
  • applications will be secure and distributed by default

SAFE ecosystem

• safecoin is the cryptocurrency of the network
  • non-blockchain based… token transactions happen via similar cryptographic functionality as how data is distributed and managed (transaction manager persona)
  • proof of resource
  • initial distribution to participants in the network for providing resources (70% of all safecoin)
  • farmers are the individual who are providing PoR
  • safecoin is necessary to access the network which creates incentive to give resources as a farmer
  • safecoin is recyclable (when user uploads new data to network, tokens used go back into farming pool)
  • builders are also essential to the network’s infrastructure (two types)
  • app developers (10% of all safecoin) have embedded safecoin address to earn based on usefulness determined by network
    • earn income without VC strings or advertising distractions
    • individual developers and small companies have opportunity to thrive
  • core devs (5% of all safecoin, held by foundation) will probably work via bounties
    • decentralizes development of network
    • team working hard to disseminate knowledge (safe pods)
  • content creators (artists, researchers, journalists, etc)
  • embedded safecoin wallet to earn from consumers on voluntary basis
  • automate ability to earn micropayments at suggestion of network at click of mouse (why “like” something when you can tip!?)
  • more popular content (lower suggested amount) vs niche content (higher suggested amount)
  • direct from creator to consumer
  • middlemen need to start providing actual value when creators no longer need them (thinking iTunes store)
  • an ecosystem system for the Internet

Important, final points

• founded in 2006 by David Irvine (aka has been worked on for 8+ years!)
  • open source, open development (GPL enforces a perpetually free and open network)
  • communicate with community on constant basis
  • openness enables inspired, self-driven community
  • core beliefs
  • company structure (input based on validity of analysis rather than job title, of course obvious specializations but also adaptability between roles, almost like the network itself… but we’re not robots)
  • sustainable funding (allude to crowdsale, lack of VC strings)
  • team continues to work to earn, once crowdsale runs out, we’re earning the same way other companies and individuals do building on top of and maintaining the network
15 Likes

Really nice structure Paige, plenty of detail.

I didn’t thought about it yet… I was even hesitating about the content I have put into it…
I’m not planning to send mine out till the community or core devs decide which one of the proposals is best and give support to send them out.

I think there is still much time to wait for real good advertisement strategies that are thrown into this thread.
Maybe the team already has a planned advertisement strategy so it would be rude to decide without them.

1 Like

Looking at it like this typed out is actually really beneficial to see instead of a stack of papers! I’ll probably move the self-encryption bit to go under the SAFE section for future versions of this presentation.

Also, I should note that the slides I have been using are super minimal. Mostly just keywords forming word clouds.

1 Like

This is really really good and concise. I think something like this would make a really good handout in a slightly different form perhaps. The info is all there though and if folk want more info it leads nicely to the system docs which we will keep updating as more people read them and suggest improvements or more info where it is not clear.

Huge thanks @ioptio great work and tremendous insight.

3 Likes

Handouts are tricky, especially ones with a lot of info on them. I just think with so much to say, it’s easier to leave that up to the website and put something catchy and exciting on a handout that leads them there.

That said, maybe we could look into publishing nice looking booklets for a small price that go in-depth. Could put those in the Etsy store and bring them to demo tables w/ tshirts.

Edit: Especially if we do pay what you want.

1 Like

And my pleasure!! I love explaining Project SAFE to people it’s super fun to watch them “get it”. :wink:

2 Likes

This is incorrect, isn’t it? Access is free, storage is based on a fee.

2 Likes

This is my understanding, though storing public data is also free (edit: or more likely incurs a tiny fee acc. to @dirvine), uploading private data incurs a one-off fee.

1 Like

You’re right. I was thinking “access to storage capabilities” but wasn’t specific enough in that point. Thanks for clarifying!