Maidsafe is on kickstarter

I know @russell isn’t saying don’t mention privacy, but I think we should not be afraid of pointing out that this is an important feature - why?

1. Because it has moved up people’s agenda: while there are still many using facebook etc, since Snowden the understanding of this has broadened a great deal. I have noticed hardly anyone now says “I don’t mind” or “if you’ve nothing to hide you’ve nothing to fear”. Those points seem to have been largely won, and I think a lot of people are still using those services but uncomfortable with them.
  2. Its a key differentiator. We are not going to be better functionally than facebook or similar complex services for some time, but we do have a privacy, security and anonymity as key differentiators - though we can still highlight benefits (of not being the product, not being exploited, not being subject to intrusive data gathering, not being discriminated against, not being charged more, on the basis of our private data or surveillance of our acivity and interests and so on), rather than the feature (privacy). Facebook just announced that it will be using browsing history and sharing it with advertisers (which they collect, sorry spy on us while we browse - other websites - if we are logged into facebook).

We can develop messages for different audiences. We will need a short generalised pitch, but we’ll also need more nuanced, tailored messages that get the benefits of SAFE over to different kinds of user and app builder.

1 Like

Agreed. Security/encryption should be icing. If security was a prioritizing draw for the majority of people, there’d already be a bigger push. So focus on things like storage backup, faster network speeds, no servers, no downtime, using your computer and hard drives to monetize (the first thing people ask about Bitcoin is “Oh you can mine and make money, right?”). And it’s all more secure than the current web.

2 Likes

@russell well volunteered :wink:

These individual selling points might be best split into multiple videos. Then you could allow people to quickly connect to the information that interests them the most.

It does seem as if we could group people’s interests into two categories…security & game changing features.

2 Likes

Of course. All of that would be included.

There will always be one central message because people are drawn to the main thing. Be it an introductory video, overview, or a 30 second commercial, etc. So what should happen is there should be a collected and clear overview.

I’m concerned that it’s too big a task to sum up maidsafe in 30 seconds. I know personally there has been a fine line between not explaining enough, and leaving the person feeling like I upchucked maidsafe all over them…lol

Anyone else feel that way?

I’d say it’d be more like 60 for a web spot, but really, you should be able to sum it up in like 10 seconds. It’s definitely doable. And if Maidsafe doesn’t do it, someone else will.

My understanding of it is that Maidsafe is creating a new web protocol through distributed storage that is also available for monetizing.

OpenBazaar just posted a video/commercial. This is kind of what I’m talking about.

“No censorship, the middlemen, no fees.”

They clearly prioritize an anti-government sentiment that gives (me) an immediate air of distrust. Like I’m doing something wrong by using the service. But I shouldn’t feel that way, because I’m not doing anything wrong. So to present it in that way creates un unnecessary uphill battle. IMO it creates a psychological barrier of entry. I think we can find a way to be honest about this project without being confrontation and negatively aggressive.

And I think we can amp the production value up beyond that video, too.

5 Likes