MaidSafe interoperability with other blockchains?

Hello MaidSafe!

Has there been thought or consideration of allowing interoperability between MaidSafe and other projects? I understand that MaidSafe is rebuilding the internet from the ground up with autonomy, better secured protocols and having a Safe Browser to navigate through the new network.

But I wonder, how much of “if you build it, they will come…” is applicable? If products/services need to be rebuilt for the Safe network, it would be a huge undertaking; and with so many crypto-related projects emerging, where some also aim to build a better/safer internet (e.g. Nexus); how much of an impact can MaidSafe have if there may lost likely be several options to choose from?

I’m a believer in the technology, and will try/test the alpha 2 safe network for myself; I just couldn’t help think of possible integrations with other projects.

1 Like

There’s some logic in trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel and to build by combining existing systems, but for the most part SAFE offers such an improvement over those projects, the effort of implementing that part (probably a small part) needed to gain the full benefits of SAFE is likely to be worth it. Not in all cases, but most IMO.

3 Likes

You combine several different points and will try to address them separately…

• Monetary Value: Market ultimately decides, regardless if there’s a working product or not (e.g. BitShares vs. other projects).
  • Bitcoin has shown to be a tried and true technology, and since majority of exchanges use it as it’s primary trading pair, I don’t think we’ll see BTC go anywhere; but perhaps if more trading pairs are made available with ETH, there could be a flippening.

Sometimes it’s good to acknowledge the “randomness and chaos”, it’s better to try to break it down and understand the factors contributing to the success/adoption of a project.

Understood that the effort related to integrating traditional systems may not be worth the time. I guess I’m wondering how the team plans to drive adoption with there being so many alternatives in the space.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I feel that the Safe network is primarily for consumers and not so much for businesses/enterprises (although they may see it/try it out). My main concern (as it is with all new technologies/blockchain projects), what will drive adoption?

There are several discussions about adoption on the forum and many more opinions and suggestions :slight_smile:

I don’t think it is primarily for consumers. The business case is going to be compelling, and would probably be an easier sell. First step is to developers, early adopters / journalists, and niches who are going to be most receptive (so the crypto-style business for example). At any point I think there are many opportunities for MaidSafe (government and business) but I think their wish is to build something that democratises both the internet and the platform - so this may be their priority even if the business/government type opportunities are bigger. That may be giving a false picture of the potential markets?

I have no worries about adoption. The question is about displacement (eg of mainstream monopoly platforms), but that is long term and will happen not because SAFE is better but because it has become ubiquitous. But that isn’t something that can be made to happen other than by being the best way to do stuff for the maximum number of people. So that means primary focus on the product/platform until that is solid and can be marketed to many groups.

2 Likes