MaidSafe Dev Update - May 31, 2018

A year or two is much more realistic then 3 or 4 months, especially for the final product. It was stated that Alpha 3 is right around the corner, so, I would give that a month in development time. We haven’t heard much about how far along into Alpha 4 development they are, at least versus what they have left to do. So, give that 6 months after Alpha 3. You are now at the end of 2018.

Beta is mostly just combining the Alphas with a true test Safecoin implementation on top, but also need to give Alpha 4 a little time to soak to let bugs pop up. So, maybe another 2 months after Alpha 4 to get Beta. Then you have a pretty extensive testing period, bug fixing, etc. This needs to be rock solid before going fully live, or bad actors will exploit it and ruin 10+ years of work seemingly overnight. So, expect at least 6 months of Beta to really put it through it’s paces. That brings us to Q3 2019. I think that’s a realistic time table as also fits some vague statements made by the team about how much funding they have left, and that they expect to start making money off network apps within about 18 months from now.

7 Likes

Totally agreed, I think exactly the same though alpha 4 might be a little earlier. However 1-1.5 year is realistic expectation given all information by the team.

1 Like

I think a3 and a4 will probably overlap. There may be multiple test nets as part of those phases though, and then significant testing of beta to release candidate BUT we won’t know until after the event that test coins have become Safecoin. So real coins may exist while we think we are still farming test coins.

7 Likes

The end of 2019 is so close, I can almost smell it like the ocean

1 Like

But one positive consequence (of test coins that may become real coins) is that it will give an incentive for farmers to provide vaults to test networks.

6 Likes

Nor should it be. Not everything a private company does needs to be made public, not even to stakeholders when it involves security of the network.

Maidsafe will only premine the coins in reserve for exchange with fundraising tokens (Maidsafe coins) and after that the network will be public. They can do this at the beginning of every test network with test safecoins and so everything remains transparent and in accordance with the ICO terms.

2 Likes

You still have to run a business. A business cannot operate effectively when all the details of their strategies for implementation are plastered over all the forums on the internet. You do not get this from Ethereum, IOTA, Zcash or anyone else. Oh, you get general goals and plans, but not strategies. When strategies are made public they cease to be strategies and become blueprints for those wishing to disrupt the network. Did Zooko tell everyone the details of his Secure Ceremony? If he had it would have not been secure.

The most admirable thing about how David Irvine and the MaidSafe team have operated is that development is done in the open. That’s the ultimate thing that will make the SAFE Network so evolutionary, I think. It is being designed in a way that there doesn’t have to be a secret about how it operates, its coding, etc.

It will keep YOUR secrets because it has none of its own.

Now, MaidSafe doesn’t tell everything about everything all the time to everybody. But mostly that’s because things are in flux, being discovered and evolved. When key decisions need to be made there is a great deal of open discussion in the community and deference given to general ascent, as long as the core principles are being followed.

MaidSafe is a “business” in a sense that you don’t run into often.

I trust David and MaidSafe because they don’t demand trust. They earn it constantly by their openness and nurturing of their relationships to the community, and their goodwill toward people in general.

30 Likes

Many people in the know have said the same thing about Zooko. Didn’t keep his ceremony from being a “secret”.

I have no argument with Zooko. He did a good and interesting thing.

What is it about the structure and development of the SAFE Network that you would have be secret?

It has been said that during the (last) beta network that its testsafecoin and its data will just become the live network in all likely hood. EDIT: This solves the chicken & egg problem too.

But of course upto (before) that last beta which will be a release candidate one, the chance of a network reset is always possible and in view of the bad nodes issues being discussed is possible. A network reset means that we need to wipe everything because the data is likely corrupted and polluted due to bad nodes. We need a network large enough to overcome that issue and the last beta will be (obviously)

Yes very much so and aid in resisting/defeating the bad nodes issue due to the additional numbers

I’d say the last beta (release candidate) will be running for quite a while before being declared live and the MAID–>SAFEcoin transfer starts up

How can it be, since no details as of yet have been worked out. Nothing official to tell really since there is nothing yet to tell.

We are working off musings by the dev team/David and using logic.

2 Likes

I am not proposing anything “secret”, far beit from me to interject myself into the workings of MaidSafe HQ, I am merely stating that sometimes it behooves a company to play their cards close to the vest and that should not surprise stakeholders. Indeed, it is a prospect that should be welcomed by a company’s supporters. The Board of Directors should not be tasked with explaining or divulging every strategy that they are contemplating. Now, after-the-fact is a different matter. I believe every company, including MaidSafe, has a responsibility to explain their actions to stakeholders at some point, just not during critical phases of the development.

1 Like

What about a Reddit AMA? I think there are a lot of people who are peripherally interested in the project but who don’t take the time to seek out this forum (b/c it’s off the beaten path of Reddit / Discord / Telegram etc). It would be an opportunity to explain PARSEC and give an update on where the project’s at and what the future looks like.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say what is being considered here is a pre-mine, because the software will be publicly available, and anyone who wants to will be able to participate in the Safe network betas.

Also, the distribution won’t necessarily follow the curve of those blockchain projects, where early miners could grab a huge portion of the max supply of coins, so early farmers may not have a comparable advantage (though can’t say for sure as it’s not set in stone). But even if it were, because it will be open to anyone, it’s not unfair in the same way.

Perhaps it would help if there is a shift from;

• Beta networks - where test Safecoin will certainly not become live, to;
  • Launch candidate (or something) networks, where if no serious issue is found, will become the launch network, and its test Safecoin become real

This means that:

• nobody will be gutted that they experimented wildly with thousands of ‘test Safecoin’ that later became worth thousands of dollars
  • the network won’t be declared live until its at a good level of maturity
  • people will be incentivised to tentatively farm on a good scale, but not be shocked if the network is reset

So the launch candidate network would effectively be a full launch, with the threat of restart up to a given time in the future if a serious enough problem is found.

Looking forward to seeing how the team decides to launch :slight_smile:

5 Likes

afaik it’s just a thought @dirvine expressed at some point - and i have my doubts it is ‘the official plan’ as of now …

this will probably be something that will be discussed when everything related to “path to launch” will be on the table …

1 Like

Yeah, right…
It is a good news that you finally selected the Consensus for SafeCoin… a project that has taken more than 10 years… and each year… the people who believes in you are stepping away from your incapacity of releasing something!

Now you have competition like Tronx or EOS… your project will value “null”, unless you came up with something public.

I must say it is impossible to believe that in 10 years of development you came up with nothing!.. I think you have already the project up and running but you don’t give access for people to use it even though the project is in the openSource zone.this is my opinion…
How come… suddenly you came up with the word consensus…you should of have it figured out by now… this is just a Marketing for your unwilling mode of the ReleaseVersion for people.
the consensus is the primary issue for launching something and you didn’t thought about it in 10 years… wow…you were concerned about Browser and developing the Notepad Editor.

But don’t worry … you will be excluded soon by the market since other will take the nominee for the First Decentralized Network … you already missing the train

My concerns about this project is that you lie to the people constantly … each of this 10 years you come up with something that makes people think you work a lot and the project is good… oooh… the project is awesome but you don’t lunch it because you are not ready. each year is the same… coming up with something promising and not launching anything…nothing working… and now I hear Pierre specking with his French accent for the first time in 10years about consensus of the miraculous project. in 10 years… you didn’t got the chance to choose a consensus… and now… suddenly is picket Parsec and you show a video with 2 blonds that are Gossiping… COME ON…!

the other coins did in 1 year what you’ve done in 10…

My advice for the people is to stay away from your controlled project! It will be ready when it will have no value because will not be for the people… it will be for governments and banks to protect their webServices… in fact I think is functioning right now in this way and the open source version is just a lie to the people

I doubt there is any real disagreement here. It’s just that, while anyone would grant MaidSafe some latitude and discretion in keeping operational details close to the chest for tactical reasons, one of the biggest appeals of the team is their practice of throwing as much as practicable open for community influence. The stated idea is that SAFE will be a network for eveyone, and so broad input is a key ethos.

We all know that MaidSafe doesn’t (can’t) share everything all the time and still do the job. It’s just the community and the company are all sensitive to keeping the open ethos at the fore.

3 Likes

Another aspect I’ve seen @dirvine state a number of times is that MaidSafe’s large number of early seeding nodes, which are there to ensure a strong network, will not be used to scoop up a large amount of safecoin, either by not farming them in the first place or destroying them, so as not to have an effective “pre-mine”.

5 Likes

What’s more implausible then something of quality taking time to develop is the fact that a high quality product can be created in a little over a year. Tronx launch has been laughable, 100k to people who can find bugs? Easy to pay that when you literally have 100 billion useless coins to pay with. First to market can mean something for sure but history has shown that just because you are first doesn’t mean you have a monopoly and won. You can go back to your netscape searches now. Perhaps someone would like to create a product or an app on the maid platform (when ready) to edit out shitty advice like the advice you have given above. Now that would make the world a better place.

3 Likes