MaidSafe Dev Update - May 24, 2018 - Introducing PARSEC

Didnt hear anything from the team how far are we from alfa 3 . it was some time earlier that you said we are a feet and a half away . so how close are we now? :smile:

1 Like

We’ll let you know as soon as we can, considering a few options. As @neo mentioned a few different options. The exchanges are on our homepage although watch out for HitBTC’s high withdrawal fees.

5 Likes

We heard literally everything bar a date :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But hey keep trying if you like, it may work one time :wink:

8 Likes

Less than one third of the voting members in a section are faulty or dishonest. Subsequently, we use “faulty” to mean: either faulty or dishonest. We call t the number of faulty nodes, which always satisfies t < N/3

So t >= N/3 this consensus fails ?

1 Like

Yes …(20)

4 Likes

From the OP:

So implement PARSEC, and incorporate these features, many of which have been coded already.

18 Likes

Thanks! That helps, but still no idea if next week or so is a valid hope for the alfa 3 :wink:

2 Likes

Haha that would be to great, but I think that would take some time, although a lot of code which is needed for alpha 3 is already in alpha 2 included. So maybe it would not take that long. Let me guess 2 months is for sure a valid timescale :smiley:

3 Likes

Hahahahaha :laughing:
No! :wink:

6 Likes

Bravo! What an accomplishment! While I wish I could pretend to understand all the intricacies of this technology, I can appreciate all the work that went into it. I’m very proud of all the MaidSafe team and honored to call myself part of this community. Keep it up!

8 Likes

Does this mean “data chains” is no longer needed?

1 Like

This is still used in the background, basically the list of state (signed blocks). However they record consensus, PARSEC enables it, if that makes sense.

19 Likes

Congratulations to the team.

A couple of question, have you done any real test or calculated the improvement compared to the old consensus?

The new consensus will allow larger, and safer, sections. Some clues about the future size of those sections?

1 Like

This might be a silly question, but what is the likelihood of 1/3 bad nodes?

If (when) SAFE sees mass adoption, this will definitely be a concern. A large entity with a lot of resources could deploy a huge amount of nodes and let them age for a long time.

Hopefully the incentives are balanced so that good participants will always outweigh the bad.

It’s actually quite amazing that humanity manages with such fragile systems like DNS, so I think I’m optimistic.

2 Likes

This is a great update. Congrats @maidsafe!

Among all those who are keen to “sale their mother” to get some people to buy their tokens you guys are one of a few exceptions in the space right now. With this update there is no doubt that you’re among the main tech drivers of the decentralised world to come. The market will value this, I’am sure about that.

The thing is idea, vision and passion comes first. I’am sure facebook has also all of those. But the underlying values behind them are fundamentally different in your case. Keep those up in the years to come! We desperately need this to re-distribute the power of information more equally.

Btw. For those who say MaidSafe isn’t good at marketing. This is the kind of marketing we need. There is no better marketing then bare results. To the point! Anything else is just a distraction and huge waste of human potential for personal gains of a few.

18 Likes

One of the earliest MaidSafe quotes I remember explains how all the people’s computers in the world vaaaaastly outnumber the likes of any google etc out there

3 Likes

Seems like the mods from hacker news are maidsafe fans too! :smiley:

We are on the HN frontpage now!! (keep upvoting, commenting the HN post)

Just got this message from them:

We thought you might like to know that we put Protocol for Asynchronous, Reliable, Secure and Efficient Consensus [pdf] | Hacker News
in the second-chance pool, so it will get a random placement on the front page
sometime in the next 24 hours.

This is part of an experiment in giving good HN submissions multiple
chances at the front page.

Thanks for posting good stories to Hacker News,

Daniel (moderator)

25 Likes

Great update! Pretty excited to see the progress and looking forward to the path forward.

I actually prefer to not have alpha-3 done until we have maid trading on one of the big exchanges. As it stands today people have to go through couple of hoops before they can buy maid…

1 Like

this is huge !

let’s try to get momentum by commenting.
can’t waste this opportunity

I found an old hacker news account. NathanC.
just trying to figure out something smart to say.
ready to comment. any inspiration guys ?

update:
my comment:

All my respect to David Irvine and his team, who have been working hard for 10y on this, busy coding instead of pumping.
Despite all the skeptics and critics, he comes out with a groundbreaking solution, makes it open source, and even goes so far as to reaching out the competition to give them a heads-up.

just wow.

I mean it David :wink: congrats.

29 Likes