MaidSafe Dev Update - May 24, 2018 - Introducing PARSEC

We do have a couple, poloniex.com and https://cryptopia.co.nz The later has low volume, but is only because people don’t use it and apparantly they do not ask for ID on w/d below 5K NZD

Actually it does help. :slight_smile: A lot of the hangup was new vocab and figuring out all the parts.

On Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/8lup0w/parsec_a_paradigm_shift_for_asynchronous_and/dzjkzgp](someone mentioned) that this is a big deal if it’s a solution to the trilemma of:

Decentralisation, security, scalability - pick any two.

In some context it may be worth framing this as ‘decentralisation, security, scalability… now you can have them all’ or something along these lines.

Thought I’d mention this, as I’ve heard people mention this trilemma before & it may strike a chord with some.

someone post over Ethereum and @ Vitalik and Vlad (two masterminds behind Casper), your upvote is appreciated

Didnt hear anything from the team how far are we from alfa 3 . it was some time earlier that you said we are a feet and a half away . so how close are we now? :smile:

We’ll let you know as soon as we can, considering a few options. As @neo mentioned a few different options. The exchanges are on our homepage although watch out for HitBTC’s high withdrawal fees.

We heard literally everything bar a date :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But hey keep trying if you like, it may work one time :wink:

Less than one third of the voting members in a section are faulty or dishonest. Subsequently, we use “faulty” to mean: either faulty or dishonest. We call t the number of faulty nodes, which always satisfies t < N/3

So t >= N/3 this consensus fails ?

Yes …(20)

From the OP:

So implement PARSEC, and incorporate these features, many of which have been coded already.

Thanks! That helps, but still no idea if next week or so is a valid hope for the alfa 3 :wink:

Haha that would be to great, but I think that would take some time, although a lot of code which is needed for alpha 3 is already in alpha 2 included. So maybe it would not take that long. Let me guess 2 months is for sure a valid timescale :smiley:

Hahahahaha :laughing:
No! :wink:

Bravo! What an accomplishment! While I wish I could pretend to understand all the intricacies of this technology, I can appreciate all the work that went into it. I’m very proud of all the MaidSafe team and honored to call myself part of this community. Keep it up!

Does this mean “data chains” is no longer needed?

This is still used in the background, basically the list of state (signed blocks). However they record consensus, PARSEC enables it, if that makes sense.

Congratulations to the team.

A couple of question, have you done any real test or calculated the improvement compared to the old consensus?

The new consensus will allow larger, and safer, sections. Some clues about the future size of those sections?

This might be a silly question, but what is the likelihood of 1/3 bad nodes?

If (when) SAFE sees mass adoption, this will definitely be a concern. A large entity with a lot of resources could deploy a huge amount of nodes and let them age for a long time.

Hopefully the incentives are balanced so that good participants will always outweigh the bad.

It’s actually quite amazing that humanity manages with such fragile systems like DNS, so I think I’m optimistic.

This is a great update. Congrats @maidsafe!

Among all those who are keen to “sale their mother” to get some people to buy their tokens you guys are one of a few exceptions in the space right now. With this update there is no doubt that you’re among the main tech drivers of the decentralised world to come. The market will value this, I’am sure about that.

The thing is idea, vision and passion comes first. I’am sure facebook has also all of those. But the underlying values behind them are fundamentally different in your case. Keep those up in the years to come! We desperately need this to re-distribute the power of information more equally.

Btw. For those who say MaidSafe isn’t good at marketing. This is the kind of marketing we need. There is no better marketing then bare results. To the point! Anything else is just a distraction and huge waste of human potential for personal gains of a few.