MaidSafe Dev Update - May 24, 2018 - Introducing PARSEC

I think he thinks anything is :smiley:

The gossip about gossip is clever as a marketing term but also how to build a DAG. It is a method of using gossip to sample network-wide aggregates which is a well known (i.e. not novel) thing. It is not covered in the patent at all, probably as it is not patentable. In any case, these are very different algorithms regardless how many gossips they have :smiley:

11 Likes

well xD when i look at some swirlds paper i get an idea why he might get slighly annoyed when seeing the explanation of parsec

why did you choose the same names for your example? xD

1 Like

Alice Bob Carol are pretty common names in crypto. Dave is sometimes called Dave and sometimes David. Ed, we actually call Eric :slight_smile: Anyway, naming conventions are really unrelated to patents :smiley:

12 Likes

okay - granted xD :smiley:

And lightening use Erin Lightning Network - Coin Center :smiley: There was a proposal to change some of these names a while back in some crypto paper. I cannot find it right now – ah here is a reference 'Replace crypto-couple Alice and Bob with Sita and Rama' • The Register

3 Likes

:smiley: i’m glad you didn’t change anything! would have been a shame if i never learned that this is how things are meant to be :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, keep Bob! It always reminds me of:

8 Likes

Bean the show was the best. Rowan Adkinson is a fav.

4 Likes

You know you have something good when the “opposition” target you with all sorts of negativity. If they ignored you then they don’t think you have anything significant.

12 Likes

Wonderful job! Really looking forward to onboard the network.

1 Like

The algorithm described in [2] has some shortcomings, though, the most
significant of which is the need for a common coin, a primitive which may require
synchronicity and/or a trusted third party for efficient creation or setup

synchronicity is something completely different from the intended word synchrony :wink:

Damn Besserwisser. Finnish, right? :slight_smile:

Well yes, but how did you know? It is crucial to keep the whitepaper professional.

e: ah, you are also. And props for chikens.

1 Like

Of course you’re right. You know I was only kidding, and because of your nickname I felt like asking if you were Finnish. I think it is very important to have all aspects of the whitepaper professional, including the spelling.

Today we are delighted to announce that the code for PARSEC is now available on GitHub https://github.com/maidsafe/parsec
@dugcampbell has also created this overview video to help walk you through this exciting release: PARSEC: The Release of the Code - YouTube

22 Likes

To clarify the misconception of “gossip about gossip” related to its use in the PARSEC algorithm, people should know, that this idea is very old! In fact it is already used in the 1982 paper “The Byzantine Generals Problem” By L. Lamport, R. Shostak and M. Pease in their algorithm #2 called “Sm(.)” in that paper.

Quote from that paper: “[…] In our algorithm, the commander sends a signed order to each of his lieutenants. Each lieutenant then adds his signature to that order and sends it to the other lieutenants, who add their signatures and send it to others, and so on. This means that a lieutenant must effectively receive one signed message, make several copies of it, and sign and send those copies […]”

If this is done in a randomized gossip fashion, hashgraph branded it as
“gossip-over-gossip”. It is a key stone in many byzantine fault tollerant systems, as it is an efficient way to handel malicious nodes.

The new idea of hashgraph is virtual voting, but there is no such thing in PARSEC as it uses a different consensus mechanis and a global concrete coin.

13 Likes

StarWars inc …in 3…2…1…