MaidSafe Dev Update - March 9, 2017

Yeah. And I do thing that data chains is planned prior to testsafecoin, at least per the list in the OP.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely definitely are.

Missing how important it is to start tackling the development of SafeCoin, which will have many parts to overcome

I think prioritising SafeCoin is sensible. If you look at the testnets we have a lot of churn because there is no real incentive to offer a stable vault. If vault operators start getting rewarded with ‘testSafeCoin’ then the vaults are going to start becoming more stable and ‘real-world’ in their operation.

2 Likes

The point of testnets is to stress them, and get something that works even with high levels of churn. Testing Safecoin with something that is significantly different from Safecoin is useful, but doesn’t tell us what we need to know, and just delays getting to the point where we can test with the actual implementation of Safecoin.

The most value would be in testing other things, but must of that can be done in other ways, as @bochaco did with his thankscoin.

I think MaidSafe know what they’re doing in terms of delivering the network. If developers have specific requirements that they feel would be addressed by a dummy or earlier Safecoin implementation, MaidSafe have said they are available to help out.

So I suggest that’s an issue for each Dev to consider - what might MaidSafe help you with from here on.

16 Likes

What @happybeing and @bochaco said above.

Listen to these guys, bth are experienced developers and MORE IMPORTANTLY, implementors.
There is more to a working system than working code.

@happybeing and @bochaco - and others - especially in Troon and in the worldwide MaidSafe team know this and know it well.

Your enthusiasm is welcome - and essential - but sometimes we just have to slow down a little and do it right.

6 Likes

To have the same functionality as the wallet app has now, I’ll just need to migrate the underlying data to the MutableData model, this shouldn’t be hard or complex at all. There is a missing piece which is making use of the sign keys (for transferring ownership and verifying it) since at the moment the app moves ‘coins’ without performing an actual transfer of ownership, if you remember I was using some metadata to mimic this.

4 Likes

It would be nice if the upload limit for alpha 2 were increased a few megabytes. It’s difficult to squeeze a decent video into a 25mb envelope. I would love to showcase this network to my friends and family but feel they will walk away underwhelmed.

Like most they wont care to fully understand the underlying mechanics of this beautiful network. Showing them some visually appealing web sites adorned with music and video will help SAFE appeal to them at first glance. Coupling that with the knowledge that content on this network will not decay could help draw them in. It also wouldn’t hurt when promoting the network. Too often have I been told that the content is scarce and plain. Scarcity is understandable but some sleek sites would be welcomed. :smiley:

4 Likes

Does somebody need to invent a video player that can stitch together multiple files, or does such a thing already exist?

We need the video to load front to back, so that you can begin watching it, before it’s completely downloaded. How can this be accomplished? My thought is to break the video into 100 smaller files, and have some javascript that loads these files one at a time, starting with the one for the beginning of the video. The video player would get these small files stuffed into it’s queue and stitch them together for continuous playback that does not need to wait for so long for the movie to completely download.

Does anybody know if this is something that already exists?

EDIT: Looks like this is usually handled with “Byte Serving”. Byte serving - Wikipedia The HTML5 video player will send byte range requests, and so can stream videos from well configured servers. html - HTML5 - How to stream large .mp4 files? - Stack Overflow

This is what we need to emulate.

8 Likes

That is a great idea. I’ve always wondered how streaming video would work without proper sequencing.

You can look at vlc player by videolan.

1 Like

Have you tried integrating into a web page. For chunk prioritization it’ll have to be adapted.

#Question!

will Alpha2 have SD / AD and safe-js etc?

I also wonder if there might be a period between Alpha1 being taken down and Alpha2 being released, where I can’t develop anything… :stuck_out_tongue: :frowning:

1 Like

That’s the whole reason we need to start implementing tests for real SafeCoin. Anything else is a waste of time. Delaying real SafeCoin tests delays everything else (which relies on SafeCoin) in my mind.

I’ve read everything, but nobody has said anything that convinces me otherwise.

But whatever I’ll stop repeating myself (even though I said it before) and grudgingly accept a long wait in that area :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll try to be mature lol, which is sometimes a challenge for me I admit!!

2 Likes

Maybe this has already been answered, but will there be test versions of Safecoin and then later the real Safecoin in for example the Beta release? The real Safecoin will make more people start farming.

1 Like

The point is that it won’t be real test Safecoin until the features that support it have been finalised.

If you test with test Safecoin too early, and then change the network underneath it, those tests are invalidated. Time wasted, launch delayed.

2 Likes

Yes there will be test safecoin before the real safecoin is finalised. Agree that having safecoin in place will significantly increase the level of interest.

7 Likes

Yes Alpha-2 is going to be with SD/AD.

There likely would be. Alpha-1 isnt functional anymore due to issues such as the crust one identified and few others as well. It at best works partially. Alpha-1 and TEST-11 should have already been taken down at the end of last week actually as the dev update indicated. They should be taken down very soon though.

That is going to be unfortunate to not be able to test against a live network however testing against the faulty network isnt going to be ideal as well and certainly the newer APIs arent available via Alpha-1 even for AD for example.

However for development purposes though, the mock-routing feature should provide an ideal sandbox for any of the client APIs and not have any of the bugs that might impact testing hopefully until the live networks are back up.

7 Likes

Right,

It’s always much more exciting when I can make apps that people can try out and use, and that seems to only be possible with a network available.

But thank you for your answers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With MD knocking at the door… bump :grin:
Vote - decentralised exchange

3 Likes