MaidSafe Dev Update - March 15, 2018

Community engage program

7 Likes

I just added a link to this post to give more context about the second CEP video :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Oo safe utilizing decentralized close group consensus, Torrent-like DHT-tech, data chains for restarts and security, node aging + possibly DAG-technology where it looks promising :open_mouth:

now this is beginning to become a picture with more facets than i ever expected but could become the perfect composition of decentralization tech :thinking:

20 Likes

Great update!!

Am using the Memes to draw peoples attention on social media to the thursday night update.

13 Likes

3 new hires? welcome welcome :slight_smile:
i don’t know any other project in this space that is hiring so aggressively at the moment.
what you need all these ppl for? re-invent the internet? :wink:

16 Likes

Welcome to all the new folks! Great update as always. For those interested… That gossip protocol is explained here in 5:30 min.

There’s also a full topic on this. Will look at this video tipped by @Viv as well. Lot of interesting stuff. And you never know when you’re writing an update to the SAFE Primer with @JPL about this stuff isn’t it :smile:.

17 Likes

Welcome Pierre, Lionel and Kayley!! :smiley:

18 Likes

Excellent update!
Welcome @pierrechevalier83, @lionel.faber and @kayley!

So segfaults are still possible with the Rust Language, it seems:

9 Likes

Just found this link that I think it can be interesting to read.

14 Likes

Pierre and Lionel welcome. Your backgrounds are very impressive (to a non technical like me). Kayley, you and me will get on fine. I will even understand what you say. An ex hairdresser and Media make up person. How cool is that

10 Likes

Could the Proof of Resource script or perhaps just an outline of touching points be posted? I think Proof of Resource would make a good video and it would fit best after a Safecoin explainer video as well. Describing incentives to join the network is a great start. Then moving on to consensus and then data chains would seem like a natural progression.

To me I feel like a really big picture view of the network, showing nodes joining and leaving, sections splitting and merging, nodes gaining rank (indicated by color), popular data propegating the network and opportunistic caching. Basically a visualization of all facets of the network in action would be the ultimate video. I’m not sure how you could visualize data chains but that would be cool too.

9 Likes

is this on facebook?

Thanks for the update Maidsafe devs

Welcome @kayley, @lionel.faber and @pierrechevalier83

POR CEP :exploding_head:

9 Likes

New Rust Dev, Android Dev and Accounts Admin is excellent news.

All those meetings are paying off :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Who is this “off” that the meetings are paying. blame the coffee for the bad joke

10 Likes

Winning bigly, yuge, Vitalik

7 Likes

It is and much of it seems valid, but not all. In our case we don’t wish to scale a dag as its contained in a section and sections don’t scale for us, the numbers of sections does but not individual sections. This is where we get a win, almost like we started with solid sharding and now use something dag like for ordering (shared state agreement). Seems like we are in a good place with that part.

23 Likes

Is this the goal now, or is the goal still to deliver a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)? I never hear MVP mentioned anymore and, while a significant quantity of work is being accomplished each week as documented in these weekly updates, it is not clear how much of it is contributing directly to an MVP version of the network. It sometimes seems to me that work is proceeding mightily along a fractal line segment of infinite length and that we will never be able to close the distance between point A and point B.

1 Like

As you read that article you start to realize all of the critiques are actually benefits of the SAFE Network! Great thinking adding DAG. The very last bit sums it up. “The network will begin to struggle under its own weight without some form of centralized authority, or a revolutionary (and as yet completely unknown) new sharding technique which doesn’t compromise security, decentralization or performance.”
Brilliant. I’m interested to know more, so each section has its own DAG? How does that fit into something the whole network can fall back to in the event of a global outage, ie do these DAG’s link together on a larger DAG? Sounds like DAG’s are faster and can form at a more flexible rate which would be the benifit in contrast to so much eventual consistency code as it stands, correct? Will it still be called Data Chains and will it still have all the same bells and whistles? Very cool stuff.

9 Likes

hmhnmm - i naively assumed the DAG-part is only an idea to speed-up the voting mechanism of the current group state that might be factored into the data chains then.

grouping aspects of the current state of the network in linked messages could automatically bring some kind of structure into the random aspects of the current state all group members see at one point in time. So you could use the linked messages to bundle them together and say ‘this is already known truth - from now on we only discuss the rest’ (and as messages are linked you see that there is a broken link in your ‘chain’ if you missed one and can react on this) … so … maybe a very simple functionality made available through DAGs but certainly one that could work very well withouth the danger of it getting very complex and maidsafe suddenly sitting there and fixing problems DAGs do have if you try to use them on large scale… (please correct me if i’m wrong)

ps: but i don’t claim to have understood DAGs deeply and didn’t find the time to read the article yet … so …

6 Likes