MaidSafe Dev Update - June 28, 2018

I was trying to get a break, but on line pretty much every day. All OK, Nick and his family have a holiday which I hope they do stay offline :slight_smile:

24 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s up today?

I don’t always post, but lurk quite a lot. Taking a bit of time out with the family as David mentioned.

23 Likes

does this mean that you are back in the office today already? :slight_smile:

Stalking is a bit creepy. Just sayin’

4 Likes

agree. My question was process related. Just to know if the captain is onboard again

He is never, not on board :wink: I am still working all hours because I feel the world needs SAFE It would allow folks to just get stuff done and not require monitoring :smiley: :smiley:

22 Likes

from 21st june : All being well, the kinks should be worked out over the next few days, and we can move on to Milestone 2. As I can see there is still work beeing done on the 1st milestone, is there some issue you cannot pass or what is this delay caused by?

1 Like

None so far that we’re aware of. It’s mainly just getting the code sorted for milestone-1 without implementation bugs and ensuring tests are passing fine with corresponding examples and also soak tested. It is a new crate written from scratch so lot more effort into making sure the fundamentals are solid and are structured in a way to facilitate the next milestones getting added easily. Milestone-2 spec itself had progressed as mentioned in the routing section, so once we’re sorted with the code for milestone-1, we should be implementing the next one soon after.

17 Likes

as we know maidsafe will attend decentralized web summit in san fran in the end of july.I know you dont give timelines but maybe there is some expectation from your side to have this done until summit . Is there any goal/plan made internaly, to have alpha 3 running on that date to be able to present it during the summit?

Is there an article on maidsafe in the Economist???

No, it’s about decentralised networking more generally.

Here’s the Special Report page with links to other articles

2 Likes

Alpha 3 will require all 3 milestones of parsec. I think they may have it specced out, but as much as I’d love to see it, I have serious doubts it will be ready by then.

Yeah. Finally got to read it. Thanks

Months away I reckon

Maybe completing the website (which was decided to be done in-house, thus intensive?) will free up hands to make other areas move a little faster. 1+ more full day for work to be done until Thursday’s update… I feel like every update has been generally good; and so this Thursday it feels like that at least one of the many possible “extra good” things about the network being built will shown as complete (or just about complete, thus an announcement of a non-Thursday date to look forward to, within the announcement).

Honestly the website being done is the only major present/current thing people should be super excited about; PARSEC milestones aren’t going anywhere for a bit. (And I’m going in circles now but, hands will be freed from the website completion soon perhaps?) Heck, I’m probably missing more – possibly a few important achievements, besides the website/besides PARSEC. (Circles again: obviously that’s not fully completing until a handful more updates, though I don’t think it will necessarily be months. …Could be wrong. Even if so, they’ve often said PARSEC [full?] implementation would drastically speed up network tests/completion.)

4 Likes

The way I see it is they run out of funding in like 10-11 months(unless they hunt for funding elsewhere) so my faith is that the devs/team will buckle up and crank out code + documentation + websites or else we just see a half baked project if funding ran out as most devs won’t just do charity work lol. I can wait that long :slight_smile: . I like to think positive that this team will do what it takes to make it to the finish line (all nighters sleep in office fueled on pizza and energy drinks if that is what it takes :laughing: , I know what its like to be in that spot when I am coding on something I understand and am passionate about).

EDIT - OPP meant to say 24 months(I forgot a year hah). So like 22 months to go :stuck_out_tongue: .

From Nick in April

“However, based on current run rates and assets/prices we require no additional funding for at least 24 months by which time I would anticipate we will be revenue earning and sustainable/approach sustainability”.

I genuinely don’t think there’s any need to be overly concerned. Once vaults are shown to be a go-er and Test Safecoin starts appearing on the radar I can’t see too many issues with seeking out and obtaining additional Angel Investment if needed (say in the event of a market crash). Likely a very different scenario from the previous BTTF round.

But hey if we reach that stage this will likely be one of only a small handful of projects left standing and funnily enough would likely make the network an even more obvious and lower risk investment.

I think we kind of underestimate both the sacrifices made by the Team financially and personally in getting to the point where we are now. Despite all the temptations, roadblocks and at times pressure from the Community every goal keeps being kicked.

There isn’t any reason to not be confident and supportive of these guys/girls because well they’ve earned it by their actions and in many ways restraint over the last few years.

Some folk hate the idea of the unknown but as we move through alpha 4 next year a lot of the worry about funding and timescales will dissipate as the penny starts to drop that the network is an actual reality.

So generally worrying about timescales and/or hassling Maidsafe about them is understandable but completely unnecessary when you step away and fully appreciate what is actually trying to be achieved. This isn’t crypto, it’s not money and it’s not even ideological it’s just NECESSARY. With that in mind only supporting and being patient makes any sense now.

I guess in a nutshell it would be wise to not expect anything, appreciate everything and enjoy the journey. Whether it’s a year or five years from now SAFE will turn the digital world on its head and every single one of us will be the ones who benefit from it.

11 Likes

I am enjoying the journey and expect to for a few years yet. Sometimes it’s a bit like travelling in a country that doesn’t speak English, so you earn afew basic words and terms to get by.
I have decided to check in once a month from now on. I have to do something to break my addiction to these forums:crazy_face:

2 Likes