MaidSafe Dev Update - June 22, 2017

@maidsafe, any chance of commenting on this apparent problem with the idea of the client IP limit

why don’t use only ipv6, already globally implemented, and get rid of ipv4 and all their problems?

1 Like

We did discuss this at some length in house, but could not resolve how much of an issue this would be. It’s only for testing and perhaps alpha tests. We are not sure yet. There is issues with double NAT etc. but cannot find any great information. I think North Korean and one other country use a single IP as source addr,. What we decided to do was try this in a testnet and get feedback for now. In longer term it’s not clear this will be an issue that requires any such limiting like this. If it adversely affects testnets though we will have to do something else, in the longer term we must do anyway.

5 Likes

Any progress on data chains? Is option B panning out? Status update?

6 Likes

IMO updates should now be more heavily focused on the next frontier. Data chains. R&D for routing, and data types is mostly finished with regards to a foundation for a beta network. While still interesting and very exciting, mutable data, authenticator, and routing are old news ( feels awesome to say that!!! :laughing: ). It’s DATA CHAINS that has me biting my nails at the edge of my seat! :sweat_smile: Without it or something equally robust we won’t have our SAFENETORK :cold_sweat:. We need every morsel on the matter to reinforce confidence that we are indeed close to a realised network. More details means more of us might be able to help even if just conceptually. Like the good old days when this forum was a beehive of activity. Remember @polpolrene , @Blindsite2k , @maidsafe :smiley:?

2 Likes

Awesome work as usual from the team! Excited to have more of a deep dive into the steady progress that’s being made :slight_smile: I’m about to finish up my current work role and move back to my own venture mid July so will have the time to play and design, build, measure and learn. #theantsarecoming

4 Likes

Some of the effects I can see in the immediate future, if used beyond the testnets/alphas (now that you confirmed it is as it sounds)

• Households can only have one client running at any one time. That destroys secure access for Everyone and it becomes a fight between family members as to who gets to use the SAFE network tonight
  • Many/most institutions in Australia
    • universities
    • schools
    • colleges
    • Businesses
    • lodgings (hotels, all inclusive apartments, holiday locations)
    • maccas hot spots
    • Telstra hotspots (Telstra == >50% telco in Australia)
    • The NBN WiFi network to cover some significant region of Australia. This is parts of rural Australia and I think about 10+% of the population. (Land areas easily larger than the UK)
  • In future it will affect mobile clients since like other regions in the world our mobile data is NATted to hell and everyone in Australia appears to come from a few hundred IP addresses. And to make matters worse the IP addresses can change every minute to few minutes, the NATing is like million devices to 1000 IP addresses and not a fixed assignment. Crazy I know but its what a lot of people here are on. Mind you some mobile is not NATed like that, but most of the plans are.
  • Mobile dongles which are increasing becoming the internet connection of choice for the younger who don’t want a fixed line into their house and want to use their laptop on the go. They are also affected by the mobile network NAT system
  • Telstra CABLE is behind a NAT and the user’s public facing IP address can change at any time as its not fixed. At this time I think Telstra CABLE is like OPTUS cable (the 2 CABLE providers in AU) and provide a unique (but changes) public IP address for each cable modem/router. But the routers NAT the household.

tl;dr
Basically the whole of Australia is behind some sort of NAT and except for mobile the NAT provides one public IP address for the network behind the NAT router,

In the test phases this might be a good step, but once you get into the release candidates you are going to lock out so many users. With only one client behind each NAT you limit Australia to something like an absolute max of 5 to 9 million clients. Maybe a few more with one client per business.

Oh this is another issue to watch out for. In Australia there is some 100 to 300 thousand Australian households that use some form of bypass of geo lockouts to view the likes of netflix, BBC etc and there is a company that provides the configurations for routers to help with Netflix’s aggressive attempts to stop it. These are then double NAT households. How many I am not sure and in the tests its unlikely to be a problem, but I thought that you should be aware that it exists and does so with tech minded and non-tech people.

7 Likes

I 100% agree @neo Reading this I realise I have not given all the info here. This restriction is per proxy, not network wide. I don’t think it will go beyond testnets/alpha, but not sure just yet. I don’t feel it will be the final solution to unregistered spam attacks. IMHO as the network grows that attack becomes mute anyway. I am sure we will see as we progress though.

Again thanks for superb feedback, as usual.

12 Likes

@dirvine I think you should consider hiring @neo :wink:

9 Likes

no i have dibs on him :smiley:

1 Like

(Chants) neo, neo, neo!

2 Likes

wow, the update attracts a 4m dollar( 1321 BTC ) buy order at 0.00019 at Polo, big news coming? the biggest order I’ve ever seen for maid, big whale hungry for the MD

3 Likes

An individual? Or an exchange? Is it a common practice for an exchange to have a pool of currency before they let people trade? Could we see maidsafe now traded on Kraken etc…

1 Like

Who can teach me , how to build the MaidSafe Dev in my office . or Embeded Box (for example Nvidia X1 box) .

1 Like

I love how the talented guys are making their way to core… @mav next :grin:

8 Likes

There are others too but for now I vote Mav and Neo

6 Likes

That will make it 3 Aussies? Recipe for disaster :wink:

4 Likes

yes hi, do you mean the offline development version of the browser?

or the core libraries, like the client libs?

are you trying to test the core network stuff, or just make apps / websites for it?