MaidSafe Dev Update - June 14, 2018

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Introducing… JAMS! [Demo] Alpha 2

Another thing to consider when making presentations is to speak “slooowly”, especially since there are many people watching these videos that don’t have English as their native language.

8 Likes

I like this, development is moving fast.

3 Likes

good news we wait for next updates good job

1 Like

Just on the topic of sharding, I know ETH has been working on that for awhile and I thought the timeline on the technique of sharding alone takes a good 6+ months to a year to develop. Is this not the case for SAFE implementation? Or does MaidSafe already have a lot of the codebase around it, such that only a fractional % of the code is left to do because some baseline sharding code already exists?

3 Likes

Australians who speak English find both the Scottish and Irish accents difficult to follow as well. Sort of on a time delay. But this one is kinda sexy

1 Like

I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Nick Lambert said 20 months to go (19.5 now) and I would think everyone would be drawing lines weekly off their calendars, just like I do.

1 Like

This is exactly what I mean, every intonation, every speculation etc. taken as golden proof of an immutable timescale promise :wink: Can you imagine working like that and how much pressure it is, constantly scrutinised while trying very hard to push as far as possible every single day. We balance that with a massive desire to keep people as informed as possible.

If it were not this way then myself and the rest of the team would happily speculate in the open, but that will never happen while this amount of inferred speculation from observers takes place. I know Nick or anyone in the team has not given a timescale, I wish we all could, but it cannot happen as too many people have too much riding on this one. So exciting and at the same time disappointing to feel that we can be open, but not to open, then be challenged on being more open, to be then hung up to dry for being wrong in an assumption/speculation on progress.

Not easy, but it is the territory and when you can alter peoples fortunes it is understandable, we all feel it. I just hope we as a team hold back where we must and be as open as possible where we can without affecting peoples, but we are all different and that line is hazy, to say the least.

39 Likes

I think most of us agree with you about this.

9 Likes

any chance that the second paper will be released this week? :wink:

2 Likes

i m agree with you :grinning:

Scottish accent much easier tu understand than Scottish language :slight_smile:

please give relevance to your response. Who were you talking to? Quote the part you are responding to helps everyone understand what you are saying.

Senseless posts are a distraction and clutter up the forum and people want to know what you are talking about, but you give no relevance.

8 Likes

ok understood i m new in maid Community i m try to learn

8 Likes

The best option is to highlight the passage you want to quote. A box will pop up that says “Quote.” Click that box and a response box will pop up. Type your response below the quote, and you’ll be good to go.

2 Likes

As the team gets to the pointy end of the project, the pressure is on everyone. Pressure could be released by changing the Dev Updates to Monthly instead of Weekly. The incremental change on a weekly basis will truly be appreciated if a Monthly update occurred.

However I’m not sure how the Maidsafe/Safenet addicts would cope.

6 Likes

Not well, sir. Not well.

:slight_smile:

I of course support whatever works best for the team. But I think keeping up the momentum of interest and engagement (which seems to be growing recently) is important, and I worry that one-month breaks might hinder that. The news-per-update would be more significant if only occurring monthly, but I personally like the weekly anticipation of what news/developments will be announced, and probably most importantly, who wins the honor of the first post. So my 2c: I would prefer the cadence of the current updates.

9 Likes

Watched the ‘getting started’ video. Here’s some observations:

• +1 for better audio production
  • a significant part deals with the invitation token. Can’t this step be simplified so it doesn’t need instructions? For example, doing everything within peruse rather than requiring hopping between browsers. One screen with basic explanation (Forum Level 1 required), forum login form, submit, and it’s done. I know this step is only temporary, but for how long? making it simple helps.
  • the video rightly reminds that you need to keep your credentials safe, since there is no central record (i.e. no way to recover/reset credentials) . this must be made very clear in peruse.

I cannot stress the last point strongly enough. Most users expect that credentials can be recovered, or passwords reset. They do not take the necessary precautions to safeguard these details. This is not a problem unique to this project, but would be great to see the SAFEnetwork taking the lead in this particular regard. Make it crystal clear in peruse that if you loose your password, you loose all your data without recourse (stating that the password never leaves your computer is not enough).

4 Likes

The reason for hopping between browsers is a technical one. They work on separate networks and so one browser cannot be used for the other. The validation of the forum account can only occur on the web.

Yes its a bit complex. But as you know this is temporary and maybe alpha 3 will not even be using it. Also to change it will require maidsafe developer time to do any modifications with the associated testing. A bit of a trade off here.

2 Likes

Yeah, fair enough. If it is to be removed soon then no point wasting time with it.

3 Likes