MaidSafe Dev Update - July 20, 2017

Spirits and force for the whole team, I wait to see soon like it starts the Safenetwork.

4 Likes

Iā€™m with @whiteoutmashups on this. Whatever testing group is most convenient for MaidSafe is my preference.

I actually feel a bit guilty I havenā€™t been aiding in the testing efforts, but it seems like there are more than enough other participants.

Iā€™m not going to be extremely excited about testing until we get home vaults again, anyways.

5 Likes

Testing and user groupsā€¦ Do you remember when Gmail first rolled out? You could only get access if you were invited through a friend. Why not do something similar. Iā€™m a developer, have trusted friends and colleagues who are itching to try this network. You could keep tabs on how deep someone is in the introduction networkā€¦ cull a branch if it gets to an untrusted source?

Benefitsā€¦

1). You grow the network base fast.
2). You grow it through trusted users.
3). The network will get to a trusted size fast before final release.
4). You could in this way reserve site names for people like Wikipedia.

Youā€™d have to think about how to track this, but also how to just then release the network to general use.

The ā€œwhy canā€™t I have accessā€ aspect of such a roll out will self market. People will kill to join.

13 Likes

I agree with Mark again. I want to point my friends and other people to maidsafe.net and say they should really try this out. I guess it canā€™t be done without an invite as attackers might abuse the fact that Safecoin isnā€™t implemented yet so here are my 2 cents on how this could be done in a user friendly way:

• Point all people to maidsafe.net when Alpha 2 is released.
  • Let them download the SAFE Browser and allow them to surf the network and its safesites.
  • If they want an account, point them to a clearnet_link (which opens in their common browser) so MaidSafe can allow only 2 invites per IP.

What could go wrong?? An attacker could try to ddos the system in itā€™s current state (the proxies) but thereā€™s spam prevention in place for that.

Another possible attack could be the use of VPNs and/or proxies on the clearnet to try to grab a load of invites. But MaidSafe is able at the moment to detect the tokens which are abused isnā€™t it??

So overall it should be very simple to use. Wanna browse some sites? Grab the SAFE browser and youā€™re good. Want to upload a website?? Create an account and make use of the invitation link.

Thatā€™s probably quite some work, but itā€™s way better and easier to use than Alpha 1 and it shows a lot more capabilities. Forcing people to become member of our forum will keep away quite a few of them I guess.

10 Likes

Very thankful to the hardwork and commitment that the team have put into as usual. Take care all!

6 Likes

Stay strong. We need you! :muscle:

8 Likes

I tend to agree with you. Non techos like me need a lot of time and simple instructions on how to use the new world. Change is a big thing you know. And the earlier they can see whatā€™s coming the better

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Trust Level 2 requirements

Thereā€™s an old saying: ā€œFortune favors the boldā€. I agree with Polpolrene. Systems like Status.im take off in a huge way (although clumsily like their launch) because they went balls-to-the-wall and then fixed some kinks along the way.

2 Likes

Did I miss this? Were the new binaries made available?

No, not yet. But there are quite some updates to the codebase. Every tab in the browser used to fill a spot on the proxy_node. Even after being closed, thatā€™s fixed. Thereā€™s also an update that proxy_nodes no longer have a limit when it comes to connected clients. Looks like they just share bandwidth over all connected users. So looks like some updates binaries are coming. I have no idea if they need to be tested or will be open etc.

3 Likes

Their has been alot put into this platform so we donā€™t want to release until its ready. The Healthcare field needs it thatā€™s for sure have a great week.

2 Likes

Keep up the good work I just landed a huge account for private communication!

Jeeeezle Pete, donā€™t reply to old dev updates at update time :laughing: you had me confuzzled!

13 Likes