MaidSafe Dev Update - January 19, 2017

enhorabuena @bochaco ché ! me alegro mucho (:

2 Likes

Thanks all folks!
I am very excited about this opportunity to join the Maidsafe team and I’m already feeling proud of it!
I have been enjoying being part of this community a lot so far and being able to help the Maidsafe team is a great honor for me. Let’s SAFE the world! :relaxed:

31 Likes

Looks like @bochaco needs the @MaidSafe tag under his name @frabrunelle ?

4 Likes

With the authenticator now being part of the browser how will other applications authenticate?

1 Like

Applications will have to integrate with the safe_app library depending on the platform the app is being built. The apps can use the API provided by the library for the purpose of authentication. Technically, the apps and authenticator will register a unique schema with the operating system and exchange data. The RFC explains in detail about the auth flow. Chunk of the work should be abstracted by the library and the app devs can simply call one API and leave the rest. You can refer to the test cases in the safe_app_nodejs too. These are just under development, but will help to understand how things will work.

14 Likes

Great update! So exciting to read about all the different parts being worked on and finally ready to be deployed. Can’t wait to see all these parts functioning together in the masterpiece that is maidsafe. Take your time guys and better do it right than stressing to get things out the door to prove to the community that you can deliver. We already know you can. Welcome @bochaco !!

9 Likes

We are close to have it working with the mock routing.

safe_browser needs two plugins, authenticator and one more for handling the safe:// protocol. ATM, we are integrating the authenticator plugin. Then we will work on the plugin to handle the safe:// protocol. The first browser version should allow viewing static content and the next version should be providing web apis just like safe-js used to do.

8 Likes

I’m a bit confused, didn’t @joshuef finish that for you as part of the CEP already?

Or does it need to be redone for some reason (new core changes, etc)

That plugin was based around the olde method of using the launcher api server (routing to localhost:8100), now with the new FFI setup I’d assume things have changed.

Very excited to see what’s coming. Keep up the good work and congrats @bochaco!!

9 Likes

Reading this again makes it sound like it may be a long while (2 alphas from now) until the authenticator paradigm is ready for use by any devs. Would you say that interpretation is correct?

Might there be early, pre-release dev builds of the browser before that so the community devs can get their hands dirty along the way? Hope that would be possible / easy for you guys to do :slight_smile:

But then a few lines later it says this ^ which makes it sound like the authenticator is right on the horizon. Not really sure what to expect :stuck_out_tongue:

I think they have all the mentioned components in place now but want to integrate them separately in order to verify if they work as expected. After the upcoming (successful) disjoint sections/ resource proof test(s) they integrate the other parts. So if everything works as expected with the current tests it should not take too long for the new API & Authenticator as they will be part of the upcoming test nets (released after alpha 2). In other words, only one alpha and one test net after the alpha away - hopefully. :smiley:

4 Likes

Great update! I’m so proud of you all.

1 Like

Now there is talk about SAFE going on phones (really actual developer talk but also action) and now we are clearly truly on the edge of home vaults. SAFE is really about to become a concrete entity that exists in the wild. This is very exciting. As an outsider and a non developer even I can tell that this isn’t speculative anymore. Its about to become very real. So real that it could get away and take on a life of its own. I think we were here once before when the team made the decision to transition to RUST. We’re here again but this time with new people in the mix. I think before just prior to the decision to move to RUST it was proof of concept but not anything possibly anyone but the SAFE team could then take to the edge of product. It was kind of like the light bulb being around for some time before Edison came along to build it out. Better analogy might be Mozilla in 1994, I saw it in a library at Chapel Hill NC and knew immediately that it would transform the world. My hair was standing on end. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I think that was kind of an alpha of sorts or maybe a beta but it was that kind of thing that gets people super fired up, and the people who can run with it and improve it more than anyone else. And if the world is lucky its 1994 again with SAFE, successor to the Web.

12 Likes