MaidSafe Dev Update - December 7, 2017

Fair enough. I am not technical enough to challenge you on that, but I will bring in a friend who might do a good job on this one. Hopefully he will take time to contribute.

17 Likes

Excellent work developers, and I appreciate all the work that goes into providing these detailed updates too.

Before I make a suggestion, just to let you know where Iā€™m coming from, I was lead developer for a team of 4 front-end devs on a SaaS project that we worked on for about 18 months. We used React and Redux. Since finishing that project, our team has switched to building apps with the Vue framework. In my opinion, Vue enables higher developer productivity due to easier central state management and better integration of central state with components. Vue also has component-scoped css and good form management.

Another win is that Vue has a CLI, similar to create-react-app, except that it works with multiple scaffolding templates. There is a template for scaffolding electron apps. Build systems always evolve to include new and better software. Using Vue would enable you to offload the work of maintaining the build system to the Vue community.

Please, donā€™t even consider this a suggestion. Itā€™s just information, something to be aware of. I realize you canā€™t have people suggesting rewrites to the latest frameworks, but I wouldnā€™t say anything if it werenā€™t early days for the Peruse browser and I didnā€™t think there would be substantial long-term productivity gains.

21 Likes

32-bit users:

Iā€™m curious to know which platforms you are using in order to focus our testing efforts.

So far SAFE Browser, Mail Tutorial, and Web Hosting Manager, run beautifully on 32-bit Ubuntu 16.04.

Iā€™m thinking that 32-bit Windows 7 is an important test, based on Wiki usage statistics.

I see that Windows 10 was also released in 32-bit. Anyone using that?
Anyone on XP? I was still using it about 3 years ago.

5 Likes

Will the nodes age/rank be (easily) known by the owner?

1 Like

I would think so - by inspection of datachain blocks, the messages being exchanged, or the areas of code being executed. Hard to hide, so easy to write a detector.

I hope that is not needed and Maidsafe make it easily available information.
I for one would be far less likely to turn my machine off if there was a visual indicator showing a loss of rank when it is turned back on.

9 Likes

I know weā€™re getting off topic here, but BTC really concerns me.

It could definitely go up a lot more, but since its development community has shifted from the goal of making it a complete currency to simply being ā€œdigital goldā€ to be hoarded, I think its value now rests solely on the future greed being greater than it is now. If a significant amount of people start questioning whether btc really is digital gold, then btc has nothing.

Yes it is part of the PeerId which is the peers name (public key) and age. As a peer gets a new age it must create a new public key (relocate on the network). So letting the user see that will be easy in code and your request is a sensible one. The age will mean more than the name to end users and it makes sense to show that with a little bit of text to say what it means to them.

Maybe we could have age bands where folk go from infant, adult, elder, hero, super hero etc.

Bottom line we will make age very clear to farmers :+1:

20 Likes

Exactly what I was hoping for!! :grinning:

10 Likes

Would be great if the bands were farming related.
Seed, Seedling, Sapling etc. Or something along those lines.
Perhaps not!

3 Likes

I see the logic. Whole the way to a sequoia.
You can come op with a lot of such systems, like wedding anniversaries: 5 year wood, 10 year tin, 25 silver, 50 gold, 80 oak.

3 Likes

More than age will be considered in the ranking (upstream bandwidth, processing speed, etc.) so maybe identifiers that reflect overall strength of node.

2 Likes

Maybe take Davidā€™s age bands and attach a numerical value, 1 to 9, to indicate non-age measurement of node (current available bandwidth, current processing speed). So adult-1, adult-2 all the way up to adult-9; same with infant, elder, hero, super hero. Adult-9 would be ranked ahead of adult-8.

I believe this view is a misunderstanding. For Bitcoin to reach mass adoption, which is necessary if it is to be a viable form of currency, then at this stage the digital gold mantra and effect is what draws people in. I can assure you I plan on spending my Bitcoin at some time, but meanwhile it has a world market to entice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Peasants, Gentlefolk, Squires, Knights, Barons, Lords? Hmm, perhaps not.

6 Likes

Right, but that means Bitcoin is essentially an ICO. People invest in Bitcoin not because itā€™s useful now, but because it might be useful in the future.

In that respect, thereā€™s nothing special about Bitcoin. It makes more sense for me to invest in an ICO whose technology I really believe in.

1 Like

Well, I can tell you I really believe in Bitcoinā€™s technology, it has the potential to change the world. Bitcoin is not an ICO. Itā€™s useful already and I regularly do transactions to buy things out of rising profits.

Bitcoin is special because it introduced the world to the concept of distributed networks without trusted third parties. It solved the problem of double spending via the invention of the blockchain - so Bitcoin is historically very special in my opinion.

In the same way, and for a different reason, the SafeNetwork is equally special - but not ready for prime time just yet.

7 Likes

Now thats hard to achieve :wink: :persevere:

I rather like the infant, child, adult, elder

So infant == infant
child replaces adult
adult replace elder
elder is now one age above the old elder

and as elders age then give them appropriate sub names. Like ā€œelder agedā€ for elders over age 8.

6 Likes

Ha-ha!! The hierarchies of proper decentralization!

There is a certain wisdom in the old English system. Itā€™s a gradient vesting of power, yes, but also responsibility. On SAFE ignoble nobles will reach a prompter demise, though.

5 Likes

It would be very funny to use those labels for something so clearly not in the same spirit. A good joke.
I wonder if in 2076, when the whisper game as perverted the old tales of Knight David to some unrecognizable GoT plot, if it could go totally out of hand thoughā€¦ :smile:

4 Likes