MaidSafe Dev Update - December 7, 2017

You are all incredibly helpful :+1:t2:

David what you wrote gives a lot of insight into how far you and your team have come! Thanks :blush:

3 Likes

Awwwwww. Time to shop for quality champagne.

3 Likes

Hi folks, this is Dug here - thanks for all the welcomes! What can I say other than that Iā€™m stoked to be joining the team! I met @dirvine at the very first Bitcoin Meetup that I organised four years ago, enjoyed the excitement of the 2014 fundraising with many of you, and was delighted that @nicklambert agreed to speak at the Scottish Bitcoin Conference (followed up by having both speak at a later meetup that was solely focused on MaidSafe). Iā€™m a huge supporter of what the Safe Network represents, how important the work is and appreciative of the hard slog over the last few years that so many have put in. I cannot wait to get stuck in next week. Looking forward to chatting with you all more closely going forwards :smile:

50 Likes

As Einsteins mc^2, as in nature, things that seems simple and elegant also tend to be very powerfull. To create something that looks simple but yet is powerfull means to me that something excellent is achived.

David, you nearly got me believing in Santa again. :wink: I feel almost like some kind of gift will appear, maybe x-mas or early 2018. Exciting times. Going to buy some sparkling next week, so it can be cooled down for whenever the time is right.

4 Likes

Is that computer programmer ā€œdaysā€ OR
Is that engineerā€™s (Elect not Civil) ā€œdaysā€ Or
Is that days that everyone else understands?

:rofl: :astonished: :joy:

10 Likes

Hi Dug, i am happy you joined the team and canā€™t wait to see you and Sarah get to work :+1:t2: Good luck with all!

11 Likes

This is just soooooooo exciting.

3 Likes

Well done all. And what a time right before Christmas and the new year and no better time to buy up more MAID :smiley: Welcome Dug.

10 Likes

Got to try out Peruse (another +1 on the name) and it works well. I really like the new authorize drop down notification, very cool :sunglasses: but am curious if the user will have the option to see what permissions are given before allowing or denying like with current SAFE browser. I think Peruse is really going to one up the current browser on the user and dev sides, so Iā€™m excited to see it progress! Great news on Data Chains, still excited for utp in Crust, also still patiently waiting for iOS authenticator :sweat_smile: (dang you apple), and of course welcome @dugcampbell!

7 Likes

I hope MaidSafe has sold all/most of its BTC. When the inevitable crash happens, SAFE should be well-positioned to rise from the ashes of old cryptocurrency, and show the world what a truly scalable, private and decentralized cryptocurrency (and of course itā€™s much more than just a cryptocurrency) looks like.

1 Like

Incredible that datachain is coming so soon, thanks for all the great work Maidsafe devs.

Welcome @dugcampbell

Yeah before 2027 the SAFE Networkā€™s SAFEvault will be in every hardware imaginable, desktops, laptops, cars etc. But I guess also in every software imaginable, think browsers, think websites (like coinhive), think botnets :robot:

:stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

You joined the forum just to tell us this?

Im holder since 2014. But im still a big believer in this prfect project! Keep going!

7 Likes

Iā€™d swing the other way. This bull run is just getting started. There will be some healthy corrections when we go parabolic for a bit, but Iā€™d guess at $50k BTC well before the end of 2018 personally. People always exit gains way too early because itā€™s emotionally uncomfortable sitting there with a massive win and the chance of seeing it drop by significant %s. Hodlā€™ing dispassionately works better though IME.

I hope they are hedged across a few positions, Crypto has a long way to go.

16 Likes

Looking good. Welcome DugšŸ˜Š

5 Likes

The look and feel of the beaker browser looks very old and basic. I think we should go with Chromium browsers like Brave or Chrome.

Meh (20 characterssss)

4 Likes

So far, reading the development update, it doesnā€™t inspire me much confidence about this project being completed before 2024. Can anyone explain to me in laymanā€™s term why this project will be completed at all, and if so when it will be completed. Also I understand from previous posts, that I read long time ago, that Maidsafe hasnā€™t yet found a solution to the ā€œsybil attackā€ problem. Is this still the case? What is the main hurdle besides the sybil attack?
If there are signs of real progress in the field of security and timeline, I might become interested in this project. I also welcome any links you can provide about updates regarding hurdles to overcome.

1 Like

Try looking it up for yourself.

https://forum.autonomi.community/search?q=sybil%20attac

Also please respect the forum guidelines and refrain from price trading and speculation talk. We have one and only one topic for that and it has restrictions too. Just look at the opening post of the MAID price&trading topic.

6 Likes

This is the most obvious thing we do take care of, it is quite easy actually. Can you explain such an attack on this network? If you can it will be helpful for us to analyse. Defeating these attacks are something we had to have before the project started in earnest. So that was a while ago, like the CAP theorem (pick one, nonsense), zookoā€™s triangle etc it all sounds good, but I would love to see an attack on SAFE so we can fix it before beta.
I am maybe being flippant, but to me I feel we need to change the narrative here from ā€œI know an attack nameā€, to ā€œI as an Engineer cannot fix this, I do not have the mental capacity to see how you get around this attackā€. That should make people think and challenge us. If you tell me you imagine our design has a serious flaw and can show it, I would relish showing how it can be resolved if I can. It is what drives me really, so if you can detail an attack you cannot fix I would happily spend a few hours on it. If you just want to say words then it would bore me too much to listen :wink:

33 Likes