MaidSafe Dev Update - April 5, 2018

Great update! Welcome to all the new people.

Way to go @riddim !!

21 Likes

Oops I just fixed the link. Thanks for letting us know :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Amazing! Bright future for Safe

9 Likes

Thank you for the great news !

I really love how “customer support management” sounds in this context. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m absolutely thrilled about the new hires, welcome!
but I’m also losing track… Are we going to have a section about the
MaidSafe team on the new homepage? Names, pictures and all?

5 Likes

Thanks Maidsafe devs,

Welcome David & Connor

:clap: @riddim

@maidsafe is there not a way to get the twitter followers to signup to this forum?

Fun fact: I visited this https://tykn.tech/ blockchain startup yesterday and not surprisingly they knew about Maidsafe. :stuck_out_tongue: (in the future they’ll probably use the SAFE Network for their decentralized id system, as far as I could say).

10 Likes

We’re up to 33 now Nigel.

23 Likes

Blimey, as I sometimes say. :wink: This is impressive and a great achievement, as well as great news for the project.

And @riddim gets well deserved acknowledgement IMO. Its great to see so many here mucking in in different ways, making Gifs and memes, @SalvorinFex with his wallpapers, @neo feeding into tech discussions, and so many others by being here, making this community and supporting Maidsafe in this marathon.

This is great :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Yes it has grown Mark. Hiring the team has consumed considerable resource, particularly as we have been quite selective, and has been a huge part of @victoria’s job these past 6 months and required a lot of input from team leads and management. This will now start to pay off once every has bedded into their roles.

26 Likes

@Traktion currently there’s no comparison between stable Crust and latest development version, but once it’s stabilized, we’ll have an entry in a changelog :wink:
Anyway, here’s a rough list of changes:

• more robust NAT traversal. Crust now uses separate library (also developed by us) specifically designed for NAT traversal: GitHub - ustulation/p2p: NAT Traversal techniques for p2p communication. It really aids in making our home computers accessible over the internet. Meaning usually you should not be required to do any manual setup like port forwarding in your router, etc.
  • uTP support. Crust now supports multiple communication protocols: uTP and TCP whereas until now only TCP was supported. uTP is a data transport layer protocol used by BitTorrent protocol. uTP has congestion control - it dynamically adopts to your network congestion. Which is really nice for applications like SAFE Network Vaults, because uTP gives higher priority to other applications running on your computer: browser, spotify, skype, etc.
  • end to end encryption. Currently Crust encrypts all sent messages, that means deep packet inspection should be impossible - more privacy and security.
  • Crust is now based on Futures and Tokio and exposes appropriate API. Personally, I’d say that Tokio is becoming the de facto standard framework for network programming in Rust. Hence, being Tokio compatible improves Crust reusability.
  • And we also introduced bootstrap cache: once Crust connects to some peer, it caches its connection information: public address, port and public key. This information later can be reused to reconnect to known peers easily.
37 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed breakdown! It sounds like a big step forward! :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Would something like this be usefull for every Dev Update?

29 Likes

I think I might need squared stickers :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve created an A4-sheet for printing on sticker paper. I’ll do this for every update and upload it to the dropbox folder :smiley:

16 Likes

why so many errors and untreated Java Exceptions…
the testnet and Alpfa2 should of been up and running by now.
Also not to mention the replacement of Maid with Safecoin.
I don’t find anywhere written of how the consensum of the SafeCoin will be done. Is POS ? who will validate your transaction?

What are you meaning. Alpha 2 has been running for a while now.

6 Likes

in your roadMap you didn’t pass Alpha2.
And another thing…what is with this browser development…
Previously I could connect to Maid test network with Firefox on a given proxy…and now I have to use a special browser

Which means we are at alpha 2 now. If we were past it then alpha 2 would be finished and we would be near alpha 3 wouldn’t we.

Correct.

Firefox does not provide the security. SAFE is about the user being able to be in control of their data and not leaking their data to others. All the current browsers due to accessing the current web leak your data everywhere, from DNS access (what sites you visit) to tracking info to giving facebook, google, twitter info on the sites you visit because the sites have those share images on them.

4 Likes

ok…but still this is not a good approach since SafeNet should be used with every browser and not with only 1 browser.
Second…since you admitted you didn’t pass Alpha 2…you didn’t answer to my question…when is it going to be finished and what kind of a consensum Safe coin has

When its finished and not before.

In other words it will run till it is shut down because alpha3 is ready to be run up.

If you read the updates then you will know as much as I do.

Did you mean consensus?

Safecoin is handled by the network itself when its implemented during the beta releases. Test coin first.

Network consensus is the basis of safecoin consensus since the coin are individual data objects stored on the network, and so the consensus that occurs within sections also protects safecoin.

It might help to read the primer on the SAFE network. The SAFE Network Primer: An Introduction to the SAFE Network

PS. Safenet is owned by another company not associated with crypto. We are now calling the network either SAFE or SAFE network

Please note that I didn’t answer

because the question you asked was

So I answered why alpha 2 was not up and running since you obviously thought it had not started yet

8 Likes