MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 8th June 2015

Cheers @polpolrene ! Good idea !

1 Like

I was hoping to see some SAFE discussion over at users.rust-lang.org, but barely a peep.

With 1,064 contributors at GitHub - rust-lang/rust: Empowering everyone to build reliable and efficient software., I hope you guys can build some kind of a presence over thereā€¦would seem a good time to create awareness, especially with a rewards scheme in the works.

5 Likes

Thanks guys for your work and smart ideas!

3 Likes

I hope we can change that, there is not many companies discussed there so far, but @ioptio will certainly be highlighting SAFE at more meetups. You will see her on twitter getting on with that. The bounty program we will introduce next sprint may also be a really cool thing for us and Rust. Lets hope so anyway. I cannot see folk saying as a community we donā€™t take a shot at everything :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Oh my. This is all very exciting.

Question: Will all the tasks opening up to the community be RUST or will we see other languages there too?

(Aka: should I start learning RUST, or will my webdev knowledge be useful at this juncture?)

1 Like

Good question!

One thought. How about a reward pot into which MaidSafe and others contribute, that is divided amongst the top twenty (or whatever) working apps as voted for by the forum, at a set date after launch? Not a massive reward, but something worthwhile.

This would enable anyone with none rust dev skills to take part, and also encourage others to join in who donā€™t know about or arenā€™t considering building for SAFE yet.

2 Likes

Initially rust but beyond feature complete then all apps and languages.

I would like to join, so I started learning Rust.

5 Likes

Next Month MaidSafe presents at Mozilla Rust meetup :sunny:

8 Likes

Just started reading on rust hopefully i can join the next sprint. So far so good like what i have seen on safe net

8 Likes

@chrisfostertv fwiw I think rust folks will respond very well to seeing more maidsafe activity in the community. Personally, Iā€™m super intrigued with what you are doing here and am eager to hear more.

Project status updates are well-appreciated on users.rlo and/or /r/rust, and I include all that I can find in TWiR (Iā€™ll try to remember to include the recent maidsafe update in the next edition).

With so much going on in Rust itā€™s hard to find time to experiment with the products people are making, but I would love to attend a focused workshop or something about writing apps with MaidSafe. I should really read the MaidSafe docsā€¦

5 Likes

I would point you to the pivotal blog post that describes how the inventor discovered The language of the network ā€¦cracked this project right open.

Another resource is the whiteboard explanations of the core libraries:

A lot of us have been here for about a year now and itā€™s only quite recently that RUST has come into the picture. Itā€™s a testament to RUST that the Devs seemed to have ramped up efficiency whilst still learning the languageā€¦it seems RUST has allowed a variety of software disciplines to participate in Core development that would not have been possible with C++

The RUST community should be very excited and proud of the exposure and opportunity that Project SAFE presentsā€¦the wild west is back and were all chasing SAFEcoin :).

RUST guys get to be miners, builders and core developers.

6 Likes