MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 31st August 2015

Interesting, something new to learn for me. I’m currently try your Ubuntu Minimal and see. I’ll give you feed back.

1 Like

It’s working for me but I use the network installer for 14.04 LTS though and using Xubuntu for desktop.

The ODROID image is a little tweaked to make it run on an ODROID.

1 Like

It’s look like good for a basic safe_vault server at low cost (with external drive off course). If only it doesn’t use so much CPU, I only run the example to upload a web site and with 3 vaults my 8 core run at full speed for some seconds. And I have a AMD FX8530. I wonder what’s the problem. Some unnecessary loop. I hope so so it can be corrected.

Even on my 2x2.XXGHz dual core server, I’m maxed out for a few seconds too.

1 Like

Hi @betterthantrav
Your first error / warning about resolve host is a local linux issue a quick search will help you sort that I think it will be related to your /etc/hostname set-up.
Devices using ARM architecture such as the odroid are on our todo list to support, however right this minute we are not providing compatible binaries, etc
@happybeing provided this great tutorial - if you are looking for a wee weekend project and want to build from scratch.

[@happybeing edit: only now I think you should be able to ignore everything to do with libsodium in the instructions because this is now included from the Rust crate and everything is statically linked. I haven’t revisited this myself, and there were some things that still wouldn’t compile and were planned to be factored out - crypto stuff I think - see David’s comments on the tutorial thread.

@Ross do you know if that has happened yet? If not I don’t think he’ll get very far with this.

@betterthantrav if you have a go I’ll be very interested in how you get on :smile: ]

3 Likes

Sorry @happybeing I haven’t tried this myself for a week or so either :frowning:
I had taken the lazy man path of using compiled Rust and Cargo binaries on the odroid itself, with multirust and building libsodium on the odroid as well.

Some links:
GitHub - japaric-archived/ruststrap: [SUPERSEDED] by https://github.com/warricksothr/RustBuild - has went quiet
GitHub - warricksothr/RustBuild: Scripts and patches to auto build Rustc and Cargo on ARM
Dropbox - Error -multirust instructions
GitHub - brson/multirust: [DEPRECATED] A tool for managing multiple Rust installations - multirust
http://doc.libsodium.org/installation/index.html - libsodium

Sorry this reply is a bit sketchy Saturday morning is busy with the family at dancing and gymnastics …don’t worry I don’t squeeze into a leotard :wink:

2 Likes

I installed rust to get my system vaults working.

1 Like

Just trying this on an older laptop and getting error:

./safe_vault_linux: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

is the binary 64bit only?.. Are there build instructions for Linux that can be used instead for 32bit?

(Useful guide to this on Ubuntu at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgyZB1NVEI )

Yes. According to this post you should be able to build safe_vault 32-bit but probably still not safe_client (though worth trying in case the issue mentioned has been dealt with).

The OP here should give you the information you need to do this (assuming you can clone a git repo). If not, just ask.

2 Likes

WWW isn’t needed in the safe network.

If we’re gonna use service.domain, then it would make sense to use domain as an app itself, and service is the stuff inside of domain.

So in this sense…

App homepage - Safe:Home.Somecompany
App Contact - Safe:Customerservice.Somecompany
App Buy - Safe:Buystuff.Somecompany

1 Like

www is the default service. This way by navigating to safe:domain you open safe:www.domain/index.html which normal browsers support.

Why www?

I can access to any websites without using www. Seems pointless.

1 Like

It is redundant because its the default. But you still need to allow it because there will be other services with initials allocated by their creators (see the Structured Data RFC for details).

3 Likes

I tried to do the code didnt work error::smile: is it 32 bit? the download doesnt specify, or because I have rust nightly installed?

user@2ndFloorPublicPC4:~/Public/toms_rustCode/decentral$ RUST_LOG=info ./safe_vault_linux

bash: ./safe_vault_linux: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

The “file” (linux) command should tell you what format it is, but I’m pretty sure it will be x64. Rust nightly is the required compiler, so no problem there. If you can’t figure it out, create a new topic (using Reply as linked topic) and give details of your system, the exact commands followed and we’ll do our best to help.

This post had people very excited myself included. How far have things come since?

2 Likes

A few errors that need correcting then blast off!! We’re very close to a public beta testnet. Check for an update later this month.:relaxed:

2 Likes

Is this an offcial weekly DEV update leak Tonda?

Thanks
Al

1 Like

[quote=“Josh_Clsn, post:104, topic:5017”]
How far have things come since?
[/quote]All I can say is contained in the following weekly dev updates.

Look under the development category and the update sub-category

1 Like