MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 31st August 2015 - Part II

This is an epoch moment

The ANTS are coming

8 Likes

I read that in Pippin’s voice:

The Ants are coming!

5 Likes

Thanks for the video. I am not very tech sawy and I am trying to wrap my head around this so i have a few questions.

Will safe websites actually be accessible through our usual browser?

What is the file you uploaded? I didn’t see you upload a file from your laptop, maybe i missed something?

Do you have another drive pop up next to your other drives when you run these vaults?

If you can explain in simple terms, i know some of these questions may sound a bit silly.

thank u

3 Likes

Don’t worry about it. We have a great community to help answer your questions at any level. :smile:

Yes, you just need the “addon” so your browser understands what safe: means in your address bar. Right now, we only have addons for Firefox (Linux and OSX) and Waterfox (Windows).

The webpage I upload was a template already provided by this Application (safe_dns_example-win32-x64). But the idea is you can just as easily create your own webpage (HTML file) and upload it. Though I have not tried it yet, still working on how to do that part.

Those command terminals in the video are the vaults. So no, there was no “drive” created. I think you’re looking for the SAFE Client feature, which will create a virtual “drive” to upload to a live Network. The video only shows how a vault works on a local network (your own PC).

I hope this gets easier to understand. But feel free to follow up with questions for more explanation.

7 Likes

Thanks for your answers, as you can imagine the light bulb moment does not happen quickly with people like me:) so i have follow up questions

When someone access say for example safebook with his browser (safe: safebook.com) how can he access his account on this page without entering any credentials? I read somewhere that on the safe network we will have one password for every thing so i;m a bit confused how this all work?

David said in answer to the update that next will be messaging and then safecoins but no mention of safe client, will this be integrated in the sprint too?

Could you describe how will the safe network look like when completed?

so we will have 1 browser + 1 client + 1 self authent + 1 app launcher? isn’t this a bit too technical for the average user or maybe david and nick have plans to have this all in one downloadable file?

I’ll probably cause more confusion than answers. But I’ll try to help with what little I know…

You’re referring to a dynamic website which is more complicated than a static website. Right now, I don’t know how dynamic websites work.

Regarding credentials, you have a unique ID when you create an account (self-encrypted profile) on the Network. This means all your PUTS are mapped to that account, which includes creating other accounts (keys).

I hope I’m explaining this correctly. I may be wrong.

In other words, your login + password + pin = your master account/ID

Then any other accounts you create on other websites like safebook are all linked to your master account. So it’s like a big key ring, with the ability to add individual keys to your ring. The safebook website only uses your safebook key, while another website will use a different key. So yes, you only login once, then use whatever individual key you have created: safebook, safegames, safepress… etc.

From what I understood, the SAFE Client is the SAFE App Launcher. That is where people create their SAFE Network Accounts. The 2nd component is the vaults, which seems to setup and run independently right now. And the 3rd is the Browser Addon which can browse uploaded webpages. So I think it’s like this…

• SAFE App Launcher = Used to create/login to your accounts, full access (GET/PUT) on the SAFE Network

• SAFE Vault = Needed to start farming Safecoin, provides resources to the SAFE Network.

• Browser Addon = Enables SAFE website browsing (GET only). Anyone on the regular Internet should be able to browse a SAFE webpage without an account. However if they wanted to PUT (comment, send msg, upload) they will need to create an account. In which case, they may need to use the SAFE App Launcher.

I have no idea, because things could change very quickly.

Ideally, everyone would only need to download 1 bundle. They would select their operating system and it takes them to the correct bundle similar to the TOR Browser Bundle. However, we have a lot of development ahead before we can start putting it all together.

7 Likes

I understand things a lot better now.Thank you very much for your time.

2 Likes

Fantastic work. As I begin formulating an app I want to build in my head, I wonder if using the shared library in the system is the best way. I gather there are three options for the app dev: 1. the addon when it has hooks into the api from JS (if my app is html/js), 2. the shared lib as in the dns example, and 3. the “app launcher”. Is that correct? I would very much like to use #2 in my app that needs to know the user, is that reasonable or should I wait for the other two options to mature? Obviously I’m not building it yet, just deciding on my stack.

1 Like

I got it all going thanks to Yamanaka’s video (running 3 vaults).

I created my website at safe:www.escaprism and got it to view in Waterfox. But then I tried going to safe:www.dyamanaka and Waterfox crashed. Now Waterfox crashes even when I put in safe:www.escaprism … (I use Chrome and have it open simultaneously, though I don’t think that should be a problem. I’m using Windows 7.)

Also I click the upload an existing website icon/button, but it doesn’t lead anywhere. Anyhow, I’m really glad I got even this far. My understanding is very little. I will read more tomorrow since I need sleep now.

1 Like

Sometime for me I have to wait a little longer when Waterfox is no longer responding and it will respond again seconds later. But never experienced crash except when I force close.

1 Like

But hey can I link to or post a video / image/etc that’s on the SAFE Network, within my regular website that’s on the regular internet?

If you run the Vaults like you did, you created a little local network. So you can only connect to the site you made local on your machine. In the coming weeks there will be a global network, than we can all visit each others sites as well.

7 Likes

Once we hit the official release will it be possible (or wanted) to begin with a fresh start (i.e. clean all the registered domains and junk files)?

This is all local right now, not global yet. No need to reset anything because you’re the only one able to see what name you’re registering.

5 Likes

Sure, why not. Just keep in mind, the other person cannot navigate to the safe:address without the browser addon.

It’s the same if I post a TOR address.onion on this forum. People would need the TOR Browser to navigate to it, otherwise it would come up “Server not found” in their browser.

4 Likes

As an App Builder, you are free to use whichever option (1, 2, or 3).

I recommend everyone start with the SAFE App Launcher. This is because of security reasons. We don’t want to pass our credentials through a 3rd party (unknown/untrusted) App. There will be people that risk doing it. That is their choice.

Good security is “good habits,” which means lead by example and show others the SAFE way.

5 Likes

That’s not what I mean.

Sorry it’s a kinda technical and specific question, but I think it’s really important so I’ll try to be clearer:

1. I have a normal, http website
  2. I want to show regular ppl, who aren’t all into SAFE yet, my video (hosted on uncensorable SAFE Net).
  3. I make a regular old http website, that everyone can easily access without any plugins etc
  4. I embed my SAFE-hosted video into my HTTP website.
  5. WILL IT PLAY?

Idc about addresses, I just want a SAFE video on a http page to be able to play

That’s what I feel will be very important to the project, especially at the beginning. Sorry that it’s kinda technical and specific. Will this work?

When you say “SAFE video” are you saying this is just a regular video like an MP4 file?

OR

Are you saying your http website itself “pulls” the video file from the SAFE Network?

I think he means some tricky not-yet-existing-Java-App using the SAFE-API server-Side Oo (no clue if this would be possible - but should be … shouldn’t it …?)

I’m no Java-Developer … so I have no clue … but to me it doesn’t sound easy …

Anything on the SAFE Network will have to be accessed by a SAFE user with SAFE credentials going through the SAFE API using the safe: protocol.

nope.

EDIT: Well, not without downloading first. You can’t embed a link that pulls directly from the SAFE Network while the browser itself is using the https:// protocol.

OTOH, you could download the video onto the server using the safe: protocol, but you’d ultimately still just be serving it over the https:// protocol. There’s no way to intermix protocols in a browser. Especially if you don’t have an existing login as a guest user. Unless you set your server up to have a username/pin/pass. Which would be rediculous because you’re still serving it via http://. Your friends wouldn’t know anything was different in that setup because nothing is.

2 Likes