MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 30th June 2015

Thanks @fraser, I’ve already absorbed all of those and been examining the examples, the API and how the API operates, and have been delving into architectural designs for web apps such as CMS, blog etc. Its as a result of this that I keep coming back to the same questions. What I don’t understand is what would be sensible ways to implement multi-user data access: e.g. posting a comment to a blog, when there is no server to receive the comment.

I thought how that would work was still out on the horizon, but this week’s transcript seems to say Daniel is working on a distributed forum app, which would have to deal with this issue, so I’m hopeful that he’s got an architecture, or a design specification, or some code, that can start to show me how we’re supposed to build this kind of system.

I’ve sketched out what I think would be the best way to do this with the existing API, but it doesn’t seem viable really, so I’ve been hesitant to spend too much time going that way, and anticipating that there’s more to come. From time to time I’ve asked about this, trying to understand what might be coming and how we should design for it. David has said that the system will be like other NoSQL databases, but that would I think mean a more functional API than that for which we have any details so far. A long time ago he mentioned Redis so I looked at it briefly. Recently I’ve looked into CouchDB which has a RESTful NoSQL API. Both offer functions through the REST API that go much further than what we have now, so I assume more is planned, but I don’t know if or how the SAFE REST API will be extended towards these kinds of feature, or if the NFS API is the best way to go, or something else is coming etc. So my app plans are stalled really. I posted some early investigations and ideas on the forum, and think it would be quite easy to get some web apps (ie pure HTML & JavaScript) built based on exisitng CouchApps and similar, but need to know more about the API before I can go any further. The same questions will apply to native compiled apps, not just for web apps, so a few of us are eager and - sorry - one or two of us, ok, just me: pestering :smile: I’m feeling a bit sheepish about that, but when I saw this week’s transcript, it looked like the info I need might be available.

EDIT: for answers see Ways To Implement Shared Data Distributed Apps (e.g. multi-user blog etc.)

1 Like