MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 29 July 2015

This is a part I still don’t fully get. Even after watching @dirvine explaining it on video. Let’s say I’m connected in CRUST. That’s only ip. So now I need to find close nodes, and in the video it’s stated that I send a very big number of requests to the network in the hope that some XOR-group will reply (even a million requests??) But at the same time I can’t “choose” my own XOR-address. It’s given to me by the network isn’t it? How does that part work. Am I just looking for a group that replies to me saying; “hey, we are 31 in size, we have an open spot, this will be your address”?? Or do I already have created my own address? In that case I could “target” a group in the hope to join, which shouldn’t be possible.

@neo not silly to me. I didn’t even think to ask those questions, and the answers are very enlightening. Thanks. And thanks @Peter_Jankuliak for explaining - very clearly.

3 Likes

It depends from case to case, e.g. for GET messages, the requests are quite small. Then for PUT messages they may be larger, but we get responses only on errors. I understand your concern though, that is, not to increase BW if it’s not necessary. We’re also playing with the idea that instead of signing the serialized message, we would sign a SHA512 digest of the message. There are pros and cons, so this will be carefully reviewed once we start optimizing.

2 Likes

EXCITEMENT INCOMING VAULT INSTALLERS :exclamation:

jiraBOT [2:39 AM]
Fraser Hutchison created Task MAID-1275
Summary

Vault Installer for 64-bit Windows 8

Priority

Major

jiraBOT [2:42 AM]
Fraser Hutchison created Task MAID-1276
Summary

Vault Installer for 32-bit Windows 8

Priority

Major

jiraBOT [2:57 AM]
Fraser Hutchison created Task MAID-1277
Summary

Vault Installer for 64-bit Linux

Priority

Major

jiraBOT [3:01 AM]
Fraser Hutchison created Task MAID-1278
Summary

Vault Installer for 32-bit Linux

Priority

Major

jiraBOT [3:13 AM]
Fraser Hutchison created Task MAID-1279
Summary

Vault Installer for OS X

Priority

Major

jiraBOT [3:52 AM]
Viv Rajkumar completed New Feature MAID-1266

6 Likes

ARM ARM ARM ARM ARM ARM

Just sayin’ :wink:

7 Likes

I hear ye just need to make sure @anon86652309 and @Ross do as well :wink:

4 Likes

Definitely not this, on a well populated network there can be no group smaller than 32, the next closest one always takes the spot if someone leaves, by definition.

3 Likes

Quite logical actually, but I still don’t get the part where a node goes from CRUST to XOR. And is given an address.

1 Like

@polpolrene Keep asking these questions, I too could do with these step by step explanations.
Thanks everyone for your patience with the answers.

2 Likes

It has an address, to give it to the network.
The network then says OK we will alter this and get back to you.
Then the group you gave it to, relocates the address and tells you what it is.
Then you do a find_group to the new address
Then connect_request to each member of the group, that is now your closest group.

The last point is where you transition from IP to XOR space really.

8 Likes

Ahh, that’s how the network prevents you target a group :slight_smile: Thanx for the explanation.

2 Likes

So what happens if some “evil” node ignores the address given and uses another it constructed?

I imagine the relocated address assignment is cryptographically signed by the close group that produced it. Then the close group you are going to connect to can validate that signature before accepting you at that address.

1 Like

This is the only address the network will recognise for you, so you cannot join anywhere else. You have only a limited time to accept the new address and it’s removed, forcing you to try again. What I mean is the network will always relocate your address.

5 Likes

Is this done in part by being

And is the new group told that it can expect a request

2 Likes

In this case it is group consensus created, so like crypto signed but it’s a group agreement. We can consider group consensus very similar to crypto signed when looking at the network. Not saying group consensus is crypto but serves the same purpose in many cases as an individual signature where we want to be sure an entity (individual or group) has authorised an action.

7 Likes

Are the vault installers software to access a global or a local test network?

2 Likes

It should be possible to have a global connection; I think the plan is to be able to test globally.

consider this that people were already able to assemble the libraries and share messages that’ll become very easy for anyone to do:

2 Likes

So when we all get our installers at the end of the sprint, will that mean we are on the real network, or just a test network?

It wont yet be feature complete, but should be as real as possible. It is not security or tech debt sprint done though, so some care required.

7 Likes