MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 29 July 2015

Quite logical actually, but I still don’t get the part where a node goes from CRUST to XOR. And is given an address.

1 Like

@polpolrene Keep asking these questions, I too could do with these step by step explanations.
Thanks everyone for your patience with the answers.

2 Likes

It has an address, to give it to the network.
The network then says OK we will alter this and get back to you.
Then the group you gave it to, relocates the address and tells you what it is.
Then you do a find_group to the new address
Then connect_request to each member of the group, that is now your closest group.

The last point is where you transition from IP to XOR space really.

8 Likes

Ahh, that’s how the network prevents you target a group :slight_smile: Thanx for the explanation.

2 Likes

So what happens if some “evil” node ignores the address given and uses another it constructed?

I imagine the relocated address assignment is cryptographically signed by the close group that produced it. Then the close group you are going to connect to can validate that signature before accepting you at that address.

1 Like

This is the only address the network will recognise for you, so you cannot join anywhere else. You have only a limited time to accept the new address and it’s removed, forcing you to try again. What I mean is the network will always relocate your address.

5 Likes

Is this done in part by being

And is the new group told that it can expect a request

2 Likes

In this case it is group consensus created, so like crypto signed but it’s a group agreement. We can consider group consensus very similar to crypto signed when looking at the network. Not saying group consensus is crypto but serves the same purpose in many cases as an individual signature where we want to be sure an entity (individual or group) has authorised an action.

7 Likes

Are the vault installers software to access a global or a local test network?

2 Likes

It should be possible to have a global connection; I think the plan is to be able to test globally.

consider this that people were already able to assemble the libraries and share messages that’ll become very easy for anyone to do:

2 Likes

So when we all get our installers at the end of the sprint, will that mean we are on the real network, or just a test network?

It wont yet be feature complete, but should be as real as possible. It is not security or tech debt sprint done though, so some care required.

7 Likes

In this case, how do you plan to push out updates? I know for linux you have a yum & deb repository, but what about windows? With future updates will an entirely new network be created, or just modified from version to version? Also, what will happen to the data on the network between updates? Sorry for all the questions, just curious! :wink:

Without safecoin integrated what are anti spam protection matters?

1 Like

time to fire up our very crude IRC channel again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey waitup for a GUI :wink:

I failed miserably at trying to do something in rust for that :tired_face:

1 Like

I have a few applications on an ubuntu desktop; simple ones for example to track prices and run analysis.

I went this route to get used to Rust, yet I haven’t figured out how to make it portable the route I have taken before.

Looking forward I hope this week to accomplish some kind of application that is easy to move about. And when installers get tidied up to include the safe executables with the UI executable. Thus we shall be able to portably deploy an application that is easy to use.

4 Likes

watched starred and forked :smile:

There’s a joke in there somewhere , but I suspect it may have the potential to offend.
Not that that will stop me…

1 Like