MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 28th September 2015

The inbox/outbox is not meant to be a permanent storage for messages but only a temporal site until the messages are picked up by Client. For archiving you will have to store the messages in your own space.

3 Likes

So for the spammers, what is to stop them having 1000’s of accounts to sent their few 1000 messages on each account (> 10 million messages in total)

If it is just the cost of setting up an account (? 1 SAFE coin) then it could still be worth it.

1 Like

1.-The spammers must know your Mpid. Not easy.
2.-The spammers must pay for the data
3.-The messages is stored in the spammer outbox, If the message is unwanted, the recipient simply does not retrieve the message.
4.-Not multiple recipient. You must create one message for each Mpid.

The cost for the spammer, in resources and time, in the actual system is practically zero. With some cost you eliminate the vast majority of this spam.

1 Like

See above @David says that messages are not paid in currency/resources/coins for and spammers usually don’t send big emails, they point you to a link, so no costs in chunk storage.

The reason I said they would register 1000’s of accounts and if SAFEcoin is still cheap enough it could be economical.

they would make an APP does it for them

Which leaves 1) as their main deterrent until SAFE coin becomes too expensive to create all those accounts. 1) means they have to farm these IDs better and would indeed be hard initially to get enough “still used” ones

Very much agreed, but if they can charge enough more than it costs then I was wondering if @david had any thoughts on it.

I’d say that once SAFEcoin is no longer a “penny” stock then it will be too expensive.

Your concerns seems to me unnecessary.

This is the typical chicken-egg situation. While spam sent has a cost, and the network is small, spammers will prefer to continue in the current Internet. If the network grows safecoin prices will also grow making the spamming hardly profitable.

In my view the proposed system prevents, in large extent, spam and complicate things seems pointless.

This is the actual Messaging RFC. if you wish, you can give your opinions on github.

2 Likes

I do agree that they are not great.

It is more of an academic consideration for the window of opportunity while the price of SAFEcoin is small.

I did look at your diagram in another thread. and it seems that the one sending the messages can remove the unreceived messages, So while my question was more academic this might increase that “window of opportunity”.

MPID Client allows “Remove sent Message (Delete from sender)” so then a spammer sends their 1000’s of messages in each client and cleans up when they want to send another batch in a few days or more. This to me now is where the real danger lies. Will it be a problem? Time will tell, but spammers are persistent.

1 Like

The above is the place for anyone who wants to improve the spam protection on the network. You’ll need to understand the RFC first though! It would be great to hear back from anyone who delves into this and raises concerns or has their concerns answered by the process.

3 Likes