MaidSafe Dev Update - 28th June 2016

Could you please explain the background to this switch issue. It sounds as if it has impacted previous testing.

As far as I understood, in previous test networks some users ran huge amounts of vaults (up to 100) behind a single DSL connection. The average bandwidth available per node was so tiny that these vaults did not provide value to the network, but insteadt disturbed the network considerably, even leading to data loss (especially when a lot of nodes go offline at once)…

2 Likes

It’s where we set things like, fail if you find another vault on the LAN etc. We asked previously for folk not to run multiple vaults per machine etc. as it was impacting testing a lot with small nodes, but of course everyone is excited and many did :slight_smile:

So we coded some “switches” to fail in some conditions that will not happen in release. These allow us to quickly turn parts off like service_discovery / caching / client capacity etc. with ease. It’s simple to grab the code and comment these out and create vaults more like production vaults, but there is logic missing for that.

So we have identifiable logic in the code that would appear “smart” to remove or reverse, but for the tesnets it’s damaging. So we are really asking for folk to use the produced binaries for now an live with the tests as they are.

It’s tough though as I myself see the excitement of making some simple changes, but the consequences are much more than commenting out a bit of code.

Hope that helps.

14 Likes

Yes it does thanks.

I hope the post for Test 5 will have the advisory in flashing lights…some folks genuinely missed the advice in the last round, including myself… until I read it a second time after already loading up 10 vaults :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m throwing spaghetti at the wall right now to see what sticks:

Would the Maidsafe Foundation consider starting a limited live SAFE network in the beginning and register a bunch of domains(www.pepsi.safenet, www.google.safenet, etc) to have control of for auctioning off? I know people have suggested the SAFE Foundation should keep the registering of domains under their thumb but that goes against the principles of the network. Even allow people to sign up for domains to be held for when the network goes live?

I would say the opposite, if you put too much emphasis on it there will be people who go and do it just because.

It is not like you could accidentally dive into the code, make the right changes and compile before joining.

Your right, this time is different cause it’s not easy to inadvertently do the wrong thing…good point.

2 Likes

Great to got the update, thanks Devs, when we will get the test 5 , and how many test should we to go to get to the Alpha release? Keep going… we are together to make safenet become reality.

This was posted yesterday evening.

5 Likes