MaidSafe Dev Update - 26th July 2016

Both seem to be vital so I’m not sure choosing one is sensible. My first thought is that you are concerned about resources, in which case why not create one template developer tutorial with App, and then offer bounties for people to create the remaining ones required to illustrate use of the API to other developers? I suspect there are enough developers around who can do this, and create the path for others to follow.

I’d really like to see MaidSafe create some useful Apps for end users, because you have the resources and skills to create the professional experience we need to get good take-up and favourable review coverage in the early days. Independent developers can sometimes do this, but in general the quality and usability is likely to be mixed so I think it is good for us to have some “flagship” products that stand-out and show the network at its best. They would also provide a source of revenue for MaidSafe which is also important! :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Yes, congratulations. Also thanks to @MrAnderson for putting up time and energy. It’s appreciated :thumbsup:

My 2 cents here:

• The Demo App should focus on everything around identity. These are: Messaging, Personal blog/website, Public ID, Safecoin wallet. We should find a great name for that one. It’s like the killer app provided by Maidsafe, one that everyone uses.
  • Upload of private data has nothing to do with identity. Great as we have it now, as people can test. But a better option might be a dropbox like map on your desktop? Don’t know how much work that is, but people would understand it directly.
18 Likes

I think you hit the bullseye on the target. I would call the core killer application that establishes end-user identity on the SAFEnetwork…MaidSafe.

9 Likes

Yes, thanks @polpolrene I take the hit for this one, I typed that part of the update and totally missed the opportunity to recognise @MrAnderson and his contribution and heart to have done so much work on this one.

I apologise @MrAnderson for not bringing this up specifically in the update, you deserved to have been recognised. I hope this small after the fact message though at least helps a little. We all seem to be prepared to work for the greater good at times and it does re-affirm our humanity. So again nice one and thanks again.

I hope this is one of many RFP’s that we do and I hope they increase in volume very soon. I have a feeling they will.

20 Likes

Maybe I missed it but any update on structured data and safecoin?

1 Like

:+1: That is quite thoughtful, thank you @polpolrene and @dirvine . This community has given me so much and I’m happy to help where I see opportunity. Recognition isn’t required (Probably not why most of us are here), but greatly appreciated.

19 Likes

Fun update, good to hear that new versions of the L & DA are coming, can’t wait.

Yeah if only I could hire the Maidsafe team to create my app, ideally have this running on my mobile :stuck_out_tongue: it would showcase that you don’t need a playstore or Ios platform.

With all this API talk isn’t it also helpfull/spreading the word, if devs put up a few examples on Codecademy?

3 Likes

It’s very nice to see a new update, thanks for maidsafe development team, you did a great job

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m excited to get going :smiley: .

I’ll look to refining and defining a few goals for network access over the next weeks. A lot has already been put forward in the proposal thread, so there’s some interesting things to consider!

The more we can define a ‘pattern’ of what to expect from a SAFE browser, the better.

Feedback will be key before starting, so please fire into the thread with ideas and discussion points. I’ll be punting some suggestions soon for consideration also.

10 Likes

Great work as always from the team!

I had a play with the recent release over the last week and impressed with the progress. I recently started contract work with a company and am drawing some attention to the capability of the SAFE network to the new CTO and current CEO. Working on some great use cases at the moment around personal data ownership and control, MaidSafe is really such a nice fit for what they do. Updates to architecture are being discussed so I am looking to plant some seeds. In time I shall nurture them and see them grow :slight_smile:

Again top work guys and respect to all of those who have persevered to bring it to where it is!

14 Likes

@m3data how does meeco work? Are they open source and do they have a github?

I don’t want to hijack this dev update thread with how the platform works in detail. Worth checking out some material on the meeco website. I’m hoping to engage this community as I get more influence within the business. Unfortunately it is proprietary software and from my understanding I don’t see the scope for it moving to open source. Hard to make that move for a whole platform once you take the proprietary route, maybe someone can correct me on this though. API documentation and an SDK will be available soon. Probably start a thread on here in the near future.

2 Likes

@m3data meeco will be an ideal for for SAFEnetwork so just keeping them informed of progress and benefits will be suitable. See what happens! Good luck with the job.

4 Likes

Okay good idea and thanks, had checked your original link but couldn’t find and source etc.

1 Like

Yeah there is clear synergy. I’ll do my best to get “enterprise” focused CTO interested and aware of progress and benefits, lead dev is already keen, so that’s a start :grinning:

4 Likes

My 2¢ on this would be to make the former first (a bunch of quick & dirty MVP apps), so that there can be an explosion of SAFE use from apps being made by people everywhere, and then after the dust settles a bit naturally, MaidSafe can see where the holes are in the market and make a few very polished apps for end users, based on what exists at that time.

I just really want to see launch asap, and have everyone able to create apps and change the world :blush: and it would be a shame to see MaidSafe spend much time and early resources on an app that sees millions of competing apps for that same function right after launch, when the money and time could be spent on more meaningful areas of SAFE

1 Like

If I can offer a suggestion: I recommend that Documentation be updated. The greatest approach to dev adoption is always documentation (yes, IMO, even more than sample code).

9 Likes