New versions of Launcher and Demo App are almost ready to be released
We are currently working on a few blockers all within the demo app:
The app is unable to complete the upload of certain file formats, such as JSON and PDF.
Content streamed from the demo app to Launcher sometimes gets corrupted and therefore it’s not able to be stored on the network correctly.
We have fixes in place for both of these issues, we just need to do a bit more testing to confirm that they are fully resolved.
Although we are making a few UI changes to the demo app, we want to be upfront in stating that we don’t want the demo app to get bloated with too many features. There are a lot of useful features we could add, however, we don’t intend on adding more as the demo app shouldn’t do too much. It is also worth noting that the demo app’s primary functions are to showcase the network’s functionality, while also serving as a tutorial for developers. Developers can learn how to use the Launcher API by looking at its source code.
We are currently discussing internally the best approach to apps. One approach would be that we start to split apps, providing very rough yet functional applications for developer tutorials, while producing more polished ones for end users. This is still very much under consideration and we’ll advise in future updates whichever path we decide to go down.
The application period for the SAFE Browser RFP ended last Thursday. Previously we had two proposals, but now we only have one because @MrAnderson has decided to cancel his proposal (SAFEbeaker Browser) and to support @joshuef’s proposal (SAFEr Browser(s)) instead.
We intend to now give a two week period for this proposal to be discussed and then onto the funding round. At the end of the discussion period, we will publish a donation address and community members will be able to show their support by donating to the project.
Congratulations @joshuef on what looks like a solid achievable proposal and for taking the first steps with us on this process. We are currently under pressure in house as you can imagine and hope we can accelerate this process in the coming weeks.
Crust, Core: Spandan (tl) & Vinicius
Core has added support for timeouts. So if messages are dropped by the network and responses don’t make it back to Core, it will timeout (currently after 1 min) and inform the front end.
self_encryption has also undergone some changes. Previously that crate used to keep the data in a memory map as one kept writing to it and flush it to the network only when
close() was called on it. This lead to difficulty in propagating the progress indication to the front end. The current modification means that each
write() will try to write data immediately to the network if it can, which means more accurate progress indicator for the front end. Core has been modified accordingly to use this new facility where required.
Apart from that there was a minor fix in the DNS module of Core which was exposed during our testing as well as general code improvements. Core now has much better logs.
Routing, Vaults: Adam, Andreas (tl), Fraser & Qi
While some code reorganisation is still going on, a lot of discussions are taking place about what is still missing to get to a secure and stable network. The central piece of the answer will be data chains, and we have come up with two RFCs which are prerequisites for that and are ready to be implemented:
We will simplify the notion of a close group of nodes, so that every node is only a member of one group.
We will remove the distinction between node name and public ID: the name will be the public signing key of the node.
Client: Krishna (tl), Scott & Shankar
The bugs identified from the previous release are being fixed and tested aggressively by the team. The demo app has also undergone some significant changes in order to improve the user experience. Though Launcher and the demo app seem to be stable under normal network speed, we are doing some regression testing with throttled nodes and churns. There are few blocker issues that are identified as a result of the regression testing. We hope to release the binaries later this week, once these blockers are resolved.