MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 24th May 2016

This is strictly for pre release testing correct?

Thatā€™s enough for me and I think it should satisfy others as well, thanks Nick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly I am not 100% sure - @Krishna_Kumar can you clarify this please?

1 Like

Thanks for the update Maidsafe team,

Iā€™m sorry on test 3, I still didnā€™t manage to run a vault :tired_face: (only demo app + launcher )

Maybe test 4, somebody can make a how to video :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you also to the hardheaded kids, who stay around on this playground :sunglasses:

1 Like

Iā€™m not so much concerned about the testnet as people wouldnā€™t, or shouldnā€™t at least, be storing any valuable on it anyway. But it is a vunerability to be aware of a sealed up before beta and final release.

Okay this is a bit of a releaf and yes clarification would probably help immensely.

2 Likes

Rejoice! If the subject does come up again (as opposed to how itā€™s used now which is essentially named pipes for IPC but in HTTP form) just know there are TLS approaches that can be taken.

Now the next step is to remove the unnecessary base64ā€™ing (HTTP is a byte-based protocol, not a text based one). Then finally, make sure the benefits of HTTP streaming are used (e.g. if I download a 1G file over the launcher, it isnā€™t loading it all in memory or something). I mentioned another couple of things at Safe Launcher Dev Issues/Suggestions but in general this is a great improvement for performance and idiomatic HTTP usage. Thanks! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

What platform are you on?

hmmmm, Iā€™m now wondering what I did to think I was running a vault, Iā€™m on windows 10 and just double clicked the vault exe and that was it, I think that was running a vault, thinking it wasnā€™t now, everything else was double click thoughā€¦

cheers
Al

2 Likes

Thank You for the update! Much appreciated!

No, this would be the way moving forward. This is just a proposal at this point and also seems to be legit to take that route.

The data transfer is very much encrypted in the network layers. The data is encrypted when it leaves your machine. We are proposing to drop the encryption that happens locally between the applications and the launcher.
Since the applications and the launcher are running on the same machine, having a session based encryption just for the data transfer between local applications is a mere overhead.

11 Likes

We will take the issues raised in the demo app along with the launcher. My assumption is that the issues #65 and #66 are likely to be related to the 5MB issue raised in the safe_launcher. Will update the issue as soon as it is fixed.Thanks @polpolrene

1 Like

Hi Bluebird,

Sorry for my late reply, Iā€™m on Ubuntu 15.10.

Like @Frontrow_Al I double clicked the vault exe, but I didnā€™t really get the impression that that was doing the job. Iā€™m sure a lot more people would join these play around rounds if they only had some one do a step by step.

@bluebird thank you for being on the frontier and experimenting with the network like this. :stuck_out_tongue:

For what itā€™s worth, I tried running a local vault on my Ubuntu machine last week, and it generated a couldnā€™t run error. I suspect it was because I didnā€™t set the config file correctly. Anyway, Iā€™ll try that again in TN4, or in the community_run_net. The launcher worked flawlessly in TN2 (Win7) and TN3 (Ubuntu) for me.

Thanks for the reply, but to be clear, the problem also shows up when I try to upload files <5mb. 1 by 1 to the network. Without hitting any limits for accountsize or filesize.

Right click on the vault folder and choose open in terminal. Then type ./safe_vault in the terminal and it should start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reminds me somewhat of Freenetproject, they have the users webbrowser as a main gui to the Freenet core daemon running on the local machine and for example exposing a webserver on localhost. But there is still a TLS option to fetch those pages from localhost via the webbrowser but which the user can opt in or out at free will. They have a password option to unlock the webserver, but the TLS layer is still in addition to that.

1 Like

The size of the file increases when it gets stored in the network because of the file getting encrypted and saved as chunks. Though we consider it has 4 Mb file, the actual size in the network can be higher. This is an assumption as I said earlier, will definitely need to check to confirm the same.

2 Likes

Well, to be fair, @Frontrow_AI was on Windows. By saying exe you mean executable or did you emulate the Windows package.

No I didnā€™t use wine, Iā€™ll try the above

What about a usecase where the user wants to run the vault permanently on a headless server and connect the launcher to it from a separate machine? In this case, encryption would be good to have, even necessary.

3 Likes