MaidSafe Dev Update - 23th August 2016 - TEST 8

True; this shows the potential for usage and the amount of money that people can make using the platform for distributing copyrighted materials such as this, however we have to realise that it may also make some people think that this is a ‘Dark Market’, platform, which is something I don’t really want. Pirates will flock to the Safe Platform in their droves once we start the beta cycle, but is this really what people want the platform to stand for?

I realise that there is nothing we can do about this without killing some of the anonymity of the Safe Network, but figured I’d play devil’s advocate and mention it. Personally I’m all for sharing most forms of data, beit copyrighted or not, but it’s something to think about.

1 Like

Has anybody else noticed waaay less failures in the stats compared to previous vault tests… or is it just me.

1 Like

Dark market = Free market.

Who cares what they think.

10 Likes

Yeah, who was talking about copyrighted materials? Not me.

I thought we were just discussing generic GET requests here

I’m sorry, causes by the major change of Launcher API from v4->v5 the internally used Javascript Library broke - and is broken since. I took me already two days to get ghost/the webpack build to interact nicely with the new Content-Security rules and I won’t have much time on my hand to fix the lib at the moment. And considering that it was all an Alpha-Prototype only, meaning the code base is a huge mess, I don’t want to spend too much time on it…

3 Likes

The alpha was probably important for PR/political purposes, but I think it’s created a bit of confusion in the community.

I hope the alpha re-merges with public test networks soon.

I agree. I can’t wait to run a non-gimped vault that is possibly even compiled from source!

That’s true Alpha for me.

2 Likes

Any chance you can write a list of the Content Security changes you had to make?

I have the same thing but not time to look into it yet and not familiar with the area.

No worries if not, just asking :wink:

1 Like

Rule of thumb is: you can’t have inine styles or scripts.
And you need to same origin most things.

So no external links. And no style or script in your html.
I like the purity but it’s rather annoying when trying to slap a small thing together or reuse something you got laying around all ready

1 Like

Is it normal that after logging out and login again, that all the network activity stats (GET, PUT, POST and DELETE) is reset with every new session? Its stated that it counts the stats of that particular session each time, but now I miss a total of all my stats\sessions :frowning: Is this by design or a bug?

Thanks, I knew that… I think :wink:

One I’m hitting is hitting is loading a resource from within a linked JavaScript file (also on the local domain). There may be others but that could be tricky for me to change because it is the way RemoteStorage.js works.

There are some others, but they may be just me not understanding the URL format. They work on 0.4 but I haven’t managed to find a form that passes 0.5 yet.

My plan is to read up on Content Security and play with the settings in the launcher (code) when I get the time, but I thought a list of changes that took @lightyear days to figure out might well help (i.e. sounds none obvious).

EDIT: One of my issues is blocking all data URI’s which I’ve suggested loosening (e.g. for images, text, binary), see CORS: Content Security headers block all data URIs.

Guessing…With no log of sessions, that’s not unexpected. Notionally local log could keep the detail but I can’t see much advantage in it. The log you seek I suppose will become safecoin spend over time. I don’t know what feature there will be to suggest history of transactions as each safecoin will only know the last transaction in its history. Perhaps then a log will be needed so users can see totals beyond single sessions.

1 Like

You can have a receipt of a safecoin transaction — paying for it …

1 Like

I have added http://safe-galaxy.safenet/ site. It displays the count of vaults (currently 138) and a galaxy of stars representing vaults in the safe network. The coordinates are derived from the vault id (see formula in code of vault_coordinates program

If you want to locate your own vaults, just PM me your ids and I will add a button in the page showing the stars corresponding to your vaults.

The vault id is visible in the routing table size lines of the vault log. For example, in a line of type:
Node(9ecfa3…) PeerId(08da…) - Routing Table size: 15
vault id is 9ecfa3

Your PM can indicate a label and a URL for the button (it should work on both clearnet or safenet).

Notes:

• I have tested the page only on chrome browser
  • The page contains a referral link to create droplets on DigitalOcean

Edit: I have just tested this page with SAFE Beaker Browser on windows 10 and it works (of course address is then safe://safe-galaxy/).

6 Likes

{“errorCode”:-18,“description”:“CoreError::GetFailure::GetError::NoSuchData”} tried http://safe-galaxy.safenet right now on chrome osx and on safe beaker ( using safe://safe-galaxy ) – maybe I should try again restarting launcher and demo … but so far , other sites work and network is up and connected here
Have you tried to use the remap DNS option in SAFE Demo App ?

@000: make sure you’re connected to test8 and not the alpha network.

Unless you’ve manually modified the config files check the version number in launcher settings. 0.8.1 for test8, alpa is still on 0.8.0

1 Like

You can change a filetype by renaming it

For instance I can rename the zip file above to blabla.mp3 and that filetype will become a mp3. I would think that you would only be able to rename the file name, not also the filetype.

ok , probably that’s it , I’m on the alpha network …

Why do you expect that? You can rename it to .blabla if you wanted to, it does not change the file contents. AFAIK the .estension is just to instruct windows what kind of file it is, on Linux etc. the name extension does not matter.

This is my vault after 5 days 24/7 :

2016-08-29 20:53:20	stdout	INFO 20:53:20.677716085 [routing::stats stats.rs:172] Stats - User (Request/Success/Failure) - Get: 2785/2067/718, Put: 751/747/2, Post: 245/244/1, Delete: 0/0/0, GetAccountInfo: 123/116/7, Refresh: 7122
        2016-08-29 20:53:20	stdout	INFO 20:53:20.677701575 [routing::stats stats.rs:162] Stats - Hops (Request/Response) - GetNodeName: 106/152, ExpectCloseNode: 838, GetCloseGroup: 40490/73159, ConnectionInfo: 15643, Ack: 198450, GroupMessageHash: 115700
        2016-08-29 20:53:20	stdout	INFO 20:53:20.677687966 [routing::stats stats.rs:158] Stats - Direct - NodeIdentify: 376, NewNode: 1043, ConnectionUnneeded: 135
        2016-08-29 20:53:20	stdout	INFO 20:53:20.677646786 [routing::stats stats.rs:151] Stats - Sent 463000 messages in total, comprising 640646955 bytes, 1980 uncategorised, routes/failed: [176321, 7750, 3390, 3334, 3362, 3211, 3012, 2849]/1346
        2016-08-29 20:51:21	stdout	INFO 20:51:21.443737077 [safe_vault::personas::maid_manager maid_manager.rs:192] Stats - 9 client accounts.
        2016-08-29 20:51:19	stdout	INFO 20:51:19.853871488 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:657] Stats : Client Get requests received 1928 ; Data stored - ID 193 - SD 59 - total 196427226 bytes
3 Likes

Like every sites listed in this thread my site disappeared. It didn’t even last one day. And now TEST8 network has only 131 nodes (yesterday it had 138 node). All this is very sad.

Maidsafe should do something about it. I repeat something I said several times but I propose to reduce drastically the PUT balance until safecoins are introduced. For example, from 500 to 50. That’s enough to create great sites. Videos and mp3 can be used on alpha network.

Note: I will try again next Friday under a new account and a new name. So it’s not too late for sending me your vault ids along a label and possibly a URL so that I add them to my site. I will relaunch it under a new account and a new name, normally next Friday.

2 Likes