MaidSafe Dev Update - 23th August 2016 - TEST 8

Yeah. I’m using Firefox / Ubuntu. Can’t connect al all. Other sites work OK though.

The only thing I’ve done is download the vault for arm and run it. I know that the arm vault was only going to work with kernel >= v3.9 as @happybeing mentioned, but I’m running Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.1 i believe, and it just works and has been working since testnet 4. So try that and tell us how it goes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your right I’m also getting the error
{“errorCode”:-18,“description”:“CoreError::GetFailure::GetError::NoSuchData”}

on Ubuntu, strange because it just works on windows7.

Time to report an issue, but what causes the problem?

Can somebody check if this works on OsX or others?

1 Like

Just for additional info safe://music.audity/ doesn’t work on SAFE Beaker either - same error message

1 Like

The resulting binary should run on Scaleway’s ARM hardware.
Also don’t ask me how to compile it yourself, I had to do some jerry-rigging that I wouldn’t recommend to get it to compile. However a good starting point would be happybeing’s guide on cross compilation as well as mav’s cross compilation guide.
I don’t have any kind of web hosting account at the moment and I don’t want to set anything up on my own network, so here’s a kind of sketchy upload, I would love it if someone could rehost it somewhere that isn’t sleazy. MegaFile Upload

EDIT: Here’s another file upload site that should have the file stay up longer than the mega thing. Please feel free to reply to this message or send me a PM if either of these links stop working. http://www.filedropper.com/safevault-v0110-armv7-scaleway

1 Like

I should mention my docker vault binary factory, used for a nightly build up until a couple of months ago. I haven’t used it in a while but it’s likely it still works. Being a docker image, the build environment is self-contained and thus extremely portable.

3 Likes

No doubt handy for making the standard releases, but I think you’re still using the armv7-unknown-linux-gnueabihf target, which will produce binaries that require the neon extensions.

True, it would need to be modified, but that’s easier than starting from scratch. Note that the repo is not images but Dockerfiles and therefore editable.

Hint hint nudge nudge eh? :slight_smile:
I’ll see about forking it or submitting a neonless dockerfile if I feel like playing around with the docker files. I’ve never played around with those so I wouldn’t hold my breath or anything, but it’s definitely going on my “play with it if you’re bored” -pile.

3 Likes

@Viv Seeing the above I decided to try the testnet8 vault on an Odroid-U3. It looks promising but fails to start listening - any idea what this means!? :slight_smile:

INFO 14:43:41.569309322 [safe_vault safe_vault.rs:99] 

Running safe_vault v0.11.0
==========================
DEBUG 14:43:41.574861903 [crust::main::service service.rs:368] Network name: Some("test_network_8")
DEBUG 14:43:44.977763273 [crust::main::active_connection active_connection.rs:57] Entered state ActiveConnection: PeerId(4b5f..) -> PeerId(2
7c4..)
DEBUG 14:43:44.978333986 [routing::core core.rs:562] Disconnected(e2bc8a..) Received BootstrapConnect from PeerId(27c4..).
DEBUG 14:43:44.978398403 [routing::core core.rs:1122] Disconnected(e2bc8a..) - Sending ClientIdentify to PeerId(27c4..).
DEBUG 14:43:45.057268050 [routing::core core.rs:1335] Client(e2bc8a..) - State changed to client, quorum size: 5.
INFO 14:43:45.057427343 [routing::core core.rs:1091] Client(e2bc8a..) Attempting to start listener.
ERROR 14:43:45.057576011 [crust::main::connection_listener mod.rs:78] Error starting tcp_listening_socket: Io(Error { repr: Os { code: 92, m
essage: "Protocol not available" } })
ERROR 14:43:45.057775137 [routing::core core.rs:542] Client(e2bc8a..) Failed to start listening.
1 Like

I think this was the issue with the kernel version wasn’t it? The listener was using mio and that needs a reuse socket addr type AFAIK, not 100% sure though.

2 Likes

Ah, ok, thanks David.

1 Like

Yeah I could never get any of it to work on Chrome. On Firefox, I got the video to load; yet the music was still a no go. Very strange stuff on my end. (Using Win7.)

As far as the possibility that I forgot what my account information was, I’m pretty sure I remembered what I put in. Though with there being a separate Launcher for Alpha and Test 8, maybe I can’t remember the Secret anymore. The data is still there according to posts here, one of them showing that picture which is definitely my website’s contents. But some people are getting that lovely message {“errorCode”:-18,“description”:“CoreError::GetFailure::GetError::NoSuchData”} - including me. I think that means the data (and thus the account?) is still there; but I still can’t guess the correct Secret/Password for the life of me, to where it would log me in successfully.

So things are going quite slow right now, not sure if that’s related to what I’m about to say: Also, I created another account, with the same name, same website. And now it works? But doesn’t that mean I just overrode my old public ID? Doesn’t that mean I could create accounts and override the data of every single person using this Test 8 right now? Um.

One last thing, when first creating a website: upon selecting a folder/directory, it used to be easier to where it dumped all the contents from the folder in the root directory. In recent tests though, it shows the entire folder. I’m not even sure if that works – without having to move everything (in that newly appeared folder) to the root directory myself. Afterwards, the Publish Website button doesn’t appear for some reason, and I then have to go back to Manage Data, which is an extra step compared to old tests. Maybe I’m supposed to Manage Data first and foremost, and then bother with Manage Websites? Kind of weird that you CAN go to Manage Websites after the website is published and CAN mess around with the public data. So there’s basically two areas which you eventually can edit your public data? This is a lot to keep track of, and with the network being slow right now and work gradually approaching it’s driving me up a wall. Supposedly I just found out the Directory that’s first uploaded IS the root directory? So why is there another directory before it?? The first piece of music is now working fine in Firefox, after uploading to THAT directory.

Gotta be running launcher alongside it

Interesting! I wonder why it works for me then? @dirvine @Viv
I just uploaded a very low quality video to safetube: (alpha net) http://odroid.safetube.safenet/
of my odroid running a vault. Kernel version 3.10.96
Enjoy :smiley:

1 Like

That’s why! Requires at least v3.9.

1 Like

Yes I have the launcher running. It just seems a bit picky about whether to display a particular site or not. It’s not just Beaker but Firefox too. As @19eddyjohn75 notes above, some sites render fine on Windows but throw an error on Linux.

Haha, I must be quite tired. Didn’t see the 0 until now. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah! Just tried again and safe://music.audity/ is displaying now on Beaker / Linux. I wonder if it just times out after a while if there’s not enough bandwidth? In which case the error message
{“errorCode”:-18,“description”:“CoreError::GetFailure::GetError::NoSuchData”} is not very helpful.

2 Likes

Nothing happening dramatic (SAFEcoin) in this Alpha stage, that’s why I use the same word for the Secret/Password “SAFE Demo App v0.6.0 - Alpha 1” that way I don’t have to remember two different things.

You can overwrite everything as long as you have the login creds to access the data. [quote=“Audity, post:74, topic:10908”]
Doesn’t that mean I could create accounts and override the data of every single person using this Test 8 right now?
[/quote]
You can only overwrite data from other people on the SAFE Network if you got their login creds.

Don’t let the SAFE Network steps and stumbles drive you up the wall, this baby is made to break down walls. Have patience, we are the first tom test drive this spaceship.

Thanks for the fun music especially love Boom Skiggy :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes