MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 23rd February 2016

Glad to be part of this testing :smiley:

Congrats, team!

3 Likes

It alive! This is one of Bostrom’s black balls realized if you’re in the PR snow community. The truth is rising. Even if you don’t believe in the truth or think its not practical or think its never anything but dangerious or unknowable or not worth it - only the truth is true. There are so many people who want to keep us from honest communication and knowing what is in our own interest. This can shut that agenda down. No more getting drown out and spun. Bottom up has arrived.

3 Likes

Who else hopes it looks that good on Linux?

3 Likes

I know it does, I use awesome wm and it’s identical :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Linux Master Race. :smiley:

3 Likes

I probably don’t read the development updates as carefully as some of the others, but I did read last week’s update (16 Feb) and it was very clear that the “MVP” that was promised was not defined as revainen has described.

5 Likes

God this is worse than waiting for a midnight game release. At least you KNOW then that the game will release at midnight. Are we there yet? Brace your servers folks for mass downloads and then mass traffic as people start using the network and then talking like crazy.

7 Likes

I don’t know if this was expected, but right now I am able to run a local network with a dozen vaults on my station. I am also able to add both immutable and structured data in it. :smile:

Last time I could do this was months ago. Please, don’t remove this possibility.

4 Likes

Ah - we’re not really talking about removing any functionality! We just mean we’re planning to have this testnet comprised of vaults running exclusively on virtual machines we own (well… rent, I suppose).

You’ll still able to run local networks as you are now. It’s just that we’d prefer not to have these other vaults connect to the testnet for the time being.

7 Likes

Oookay. First question is why? Second is how long is it expected to last before actual decentralization of the network and people can start creating their own networked vaults?

1 Like

the Dev update says its to make sure the vaults are stable and that outside vaults will be added a bit later:

"At the request of the engineers this testing phase will not enable the community to run their own vaults at this point, rather they will be able to store and retrieve data via the demo application on our test network.

This allows the client to be tested in a stable environment, one without churn (nodes leaving and joining the network). It also enables other projects that people are currently developing or wish to begin development on to progress as we progress, allowing everyone the opportunity to move forward together. The next phase after the development team are happy with the way the network is behaving in this stable environment will be to add churn into the mix and get the MVP into everyone’s hands, enabling you to all run vaults from home. The team do not want to sign off on the MVP until this extensive round of testing has been completed and for this we need large scale participation from the community."

4 Likes

Okay fair enough and makes sense. Guess I missed that.

1 Like

I am still waiting for this demo app to run and join the testing!? Or have I missed something?
I tried to compile safe_core, safe_launcher, but can’t get anything more then messages in console “running tests…”

2 Likes

We are all waiting :yum:. The Devs will make a new thread here with all the details and links.

5 Likes

oh great, I thought I have missed something.

2 Likes

I’m going through the demo app (still unreleased) and I can see a lot of very cool features they’ll be releasing.

The demo app alone is a huge step forward.

I honestly don’t think this MVP is for anyone else besides the future SAFE developers.

The demo app makes use of a maidsafe-branded javascript library that lets websites interface with the safe launcher. Even though we knew this would be a feature, I hadn’t realized it would be working so soon.

There is also some sort of SAFE-website template builder/uploader tool. If I’m right, by the way it works, it lets non-technical users easily make a website with one click from a template, and it also lets them one click upload it to the network.

There’s also some functions for creating a DNS entry so you can share your site/app.

If you non-coders are interested, I’ll sift through more of the code and share some of the other.

If the code below is gibbrish to you, note the line that specifically says “This page is created and published on the SAFE Network using the SAFE Uploader

14 Likes

Where did you find this?

You can see all the code on Github.

@Powersign would have to direct you to the exact location where that’s located in the repository.

1 Like

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_examples/tree/dev/demo_app

It was updated 6 hours ago :smiley: Always working those devs :grin:

Side note: Coders looking to pull it, it’s in the “dev” branch, not the master.

3 Likes

Looks like a simple angular app, nice.

1 Like