MaidSafe Dev Update - 14th June 2016 - TEST 4

I noticed that the vault executable has no icon. Will providing one be part of the visual identity contest ?

awesome there are x86 binaries too - i will start some vaults on 2 older laptops later then :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Side note: Please copy/paste text and not screens of console windows. Thanks.

Yup, I noticed as well. But it is only on Windows as far as I know. And it is 0.9.0.

Can you point me to where you were told this please? Thanks.

6 Likes

Safe vault running and connected to about 75 nodes!

Note: CPU usage not caused by safe vault, its because of another program :wink:

That’s correct. On the linux 64bit version it shows 0.9.0 correctly.

As a side note, this feels like poetic justice: Uploading the safe vault onto the safe network!

9 Likes

Thanks @ross fire up the Launchers :nerd:

7 Likes

I have a duel core as my main computer and the system monitor uses about 10-15% CPU to draw the graphs. Try opening a terminal instead and running htop. If you need to install it run sudo apt install htop.

1 Like

Maidsafe demo app 0.2.3 is kinda pretty slow “getting everything ready”. Maybe overwhelmed network.
And even after initial access granted (to launcher app) waiting for response and the launcher app going greyish is very often taking really long.

Bugreport: Blue status line ontop of launcher (connected to network, okay) can occasionally be dismissed multiple times, meaning it returns and says connected to net again. Probably bootrap phase and telling user multiple times over that it amassed enough bootstrap and fellow neighboring nodes to be considered part of the network. Or actually those are two different blue notifications I am seeing right now. Different wording. Didnt have time :wink: to memorise them. One telling gonna connect. The second saying when it successfully connected ;p Something like that.

3 Likes

Yes we released with 60ish downloads but over 800 nodes on the network (so far) . I suspect a lot of folk running many vaults per machine and these may be slow [Edit this does hurt the network a lot in such a test] . Good to test though, the next part will panic slow nodes out when they have to few resources (I hope). This seems like the efficiency we wanted though and nat traversal is certainly good enough for now.

So onto persistent data and hopefully the network managing resources to let nodes know they are good enough or not. This will ensure a nice spread of capabilities, which will be very important.

Hard part behind us now I hope :wink:

16 Likes

Cheers for spotting that :thumbsup: . I’ve updated the release now. should hopefully display the correct version in windows now too.

Even the other binary as you mentioned was the latest one, it just did not pull the version info correctly.

8 Likes

You guys rock! :thumbsup:

7 Likes

So what is currently missing from achieving “persistent data”?

Works like a charm. And a look at the accompanying config suggests why I was seeing a panic with the latest build (a couple of hours ago) using the old config format. it was complaining about unexpected string in the config.

6 Likes

Great! I can now run a vault on my macbook without burning a hole in the table because of the CPU usage :smiley: Most of the time it’s below 1% CPU!

9 Likes

Being able to securely publish data and prove to the network it is valid. It’s not as difficult a problem as you imagine, but solves a few issues at same time, such as archive nodes and out of balance node capabilities. We will be on that tomorrow.

14 Likes

First ever (I believe) vault run from a fiber optic central hub. Don’t get any closer to the pipes than this! :wink:

36 Likes

Great update! Looking forward to trying it out!

2 Likes

I am running it on the community1 seed vault. The plot is here: http://91.121.173.204/ Only the size of routing table is accurate due to changes in Node.log’s entries’ format. Will be fun catching up with these developments.

2 Likes

Ubercool pic, wow. I feel like printing and framing this one. :sunglasses:

7 Likes