MaidSafe Dev Update - 14th June 2016 - TEST 4

It seems this test has proven that async crust is efficient in lowering the load on cpu’s so that’s awesome, as for stability of accounts, how does the team feel on that front? Persistent data isn’t yet the focus so, fairly well given those circumstances? Also I’m really eager to know how the data_chains presentation went @dirvine !? :smile:

Yes this is correct. Data persistence next, we wanted crust then routing stable, now vault data will be targeted. [Edit, I should say we still need to do clean up and security in routing, no small feat, but important step was this one for that library, very impressive results so far]

Data chains presentation part 1 went well, we will take time to evaluate and test some hypothesis there. Don’t want to go too deep or make any promises at this stage, but I personally think it adds a very interesting dimension for sure. Crate is written and tested, but may change slightly.

13 Likes

@dirvine

[Data chains] Crate is written and tested, but may change slightly.

Someone please put that in a speech bubble in that Batman swiping Robin cartoon and “short seller” printed on Robin. :wink:

Things are coming to the boil.

4 Likes

@happybeing Edit “slapping” but I got it haha

1 Like

It’s not in my nature to pry but gosh darn it I’m so curious how many parts to the presentation there are lol. That’s encouraging news at the least so it’s great to hear. I’ve already seen tweets about data chains, just sayin :wink:

1 Like

Oh hopefully just a short number of them. It will be more testing though and a parallel task to the roll out until we are sure :wink:

2 Likes

Do public ID’s ever expire? What is stopping someone from registering thousands of common public ID names and parking them or never using the accounts after that. Domain registration works since if you don’t pay, you lose the account and domain name.

Really nice user experience with this new test - The vault runs smoothly in the background, barely noticiable in top. Bandwidth usage seems to have been throttled or is it just me ? It seems I can have the vault running and do something else on internet :slight_smile:

http://safeshare.safenet is back online on this test net with some cosmetic changes and cleaned up service names . enjoy !

3 Likes

Possibly to be looked at over time, for now though we take the approach, If I can take it from you then it’s not yours. So unless the network can do this safely (what if you take off backtracking or travelling for a few years etc.) we are probably erring on the safe side for now. In terms of number of ID’s per account there will be a rolling limit of three to begin with.

These are important issues and not to be swept aside though, for now it’s just all out energy to launch first. If the network can clean then we ill be good, but also paying once is a really neat feature of safety in many ways.

So lets say not complete or set in stone, but probably launch with permanent Public IDs. There are things like petnames or use the base58 key (urghh) etc. but we will see.

7 Likes

People will create multiple accounts to bypass the limit… unless it costs Safecoin to create an account?

Agreed, the Network should charge Safecoin per Public ID. Treat it like a “special PUT” request because Public ID’s are considered (unique), therefore costs more than regular data.

EDIT: Great suggestion by @happybeing

At the very least, this increases demand for Safecoin, and helps recycling.

Elephant in the DNS room.
Obviously, the cost/value of Public ID’s (Domain Names) are highly subjective. The Network only sees “data” so pricing can be done arbitrarily (1SC per ID), and then human markets take over, assuming these ID’s are transferable.

If each Safecoin is unique SD data on the SAFE Network, can Public ID’s be treated the same way, using previous and current owners? Just wondering.

@greymatter310 You could visit these threads for more detailed discussions and ideas.

1 Like

The Client Manager can see a Put of any SD type and can charge what it likes. So there is leverage, but magic number care :wink:

Yes, I see what you are thinking :slight_smile: It’s worth exploring, but yes you can sell public Id’s easily.

1 Like

Among the more ridiculous Batman villains, either The Penny Plunderer or The Sewer King, fit the bill better.

1. Penny Plunderer

This guys steals pennies. Seriously, that’s it. I don’t even know why Batman even bothered, except on slow nights.

1. Sewer King

Sometimes Batman battles monsters with incredible strength, fighting skill and resilience. Sometimes he fights diabolical geniuses who attempt to kill everyone in Gotham City. And sometimes Batman fights a homeless guy who lives in the sewers with a bunch of orphans he forces to steal shit for him.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: POC : Introducing SafeShare, a file sharing and pasting webapp

If we can apply a charge to an ID it should be a multiple of the current PUT cost rather than a quantity of Safecoin - so that the cost remains a deterrent but affordable rather than rocketing if Safecoin rises in value.

I’m not going to debate how much - I’ll leave that hot potato to David & team - but I’m guessing it isn’t practical or they would already have suggested this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the links, I will check them out. But, I also think simple payment for the ID’s might be a good idea. Including a way to sell them. Maybe even a subscription/reoccurring fee? I myself would not care to have a publicID, unless it is tied into messaging some how.

I still think the maidsafe foundation should consider buying up popular names (pre general release), then sell/rent them to generate revenue for reinvesting into the network. If maidsafe foundation doesn’t do it, random profiteers will.

3 Likes

Secure Access For Everyone.

Controlling domains like that goes against that.

2 Likes

Everyone can access other domains. If maidsafe don’t do it, others will - would you prefer that?

1 Like

Isn’t there a function in the DNS that assigns a numbered hash or something to your public ID so you cant just buy up domains? So once Structured Data is implimented on the network and safecoin is in use there could be like 2 unique Blindsites and both would have their own ID or what not. Therefore creating a bunch of domains would be rather useless.

edit: Don’t want to add bloat to the dev update about Pub ID’s as dyamanaka posted the lengthy thread/discussion on this matter already.

1 Like