MaidSafe Dev Update - 14th June 2016 - TEST 4

Try this for another VERY old Scottish joke that is food related on the template

http://soup.craddock.safenet/

This will make no sense whatsoever unless you
a) are Scottish
b) are over 50
c) lived in the STV broadcast region
d) will laugh at anything

EDIT: I found it on teh intraweb Pea & Ham, from a chicken - Knorr stock cube advert - YouTube

1 Like

little ambitious perhaps… loading real slow
http://wof.savage1.safenet

3 Likes

I got $5 :joy:

took a loooong time to load though…

well you are in the money then my friend :slight_smile: Ill trim it down a bit and see if I can speed things up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have the ability to run a few hundred nodes at my job if it’s ever required.

4 Likes

I am interested to see what the network does past 3,000 nodes; and for now it seems best for those to be 3,000 nodes from 3,000 machines.

Will we be getting better vault managers in the next itteration? I’m just sort of watching my vault and thinking that if we need to start worrying about gets and puts in order to manage data we also need to be able to manage vaults and get credit for our gets and puts. I restart a lot and so non persistant data comes into play. Therefore how do we configure vaults to give us credit across operating systems and what not? See what I mean? Or consider one might have multiple devices, again the same problem, how does one send their safecoin to the right address or keep from suffering from major reputation loss. If I restart from linux to windows but my computer is only down for like 5 minutes between boots I don’t want a major reputation loss just because I’ve switched OSes. Or if I decide to farm on my android tablet or my laptop same deal. Again I don’t know when safecoin itself will be implimented but it seems meet to start talking about vault management as we start making this transition.

I dont think we need a video. The steps you have shared should be more than helpful.

Thanks

Measuring bandwidth per node might prove more useful than either (1 per IP or 1 per CPU). I expect we will have some limit there: nodes with a less-than-minimum bandwidth (either because of a bad connection or because of too many vaults behind the same connection) would then just be disconnected.
But we haven’t made a decision on how to do that in detail yet.

7 Likes

Well that doesn’t seem fair to people with slow connections. You’re then setting a minimum bandwidth cap on who can be on the SAFE network.

1 Like

depends on what he defines as minimum.

Slowing a whole network down due to some weak links isn’t fair as well. Try to ride 30 MPH on a highway and see what trouble that causes. Second point to make: they just shut down the Vault. That doesn’t mean people can’t connect using a Launcher.

4 Likes

I agree: In the long run we definitely want the network to use any resource it can get, slow or fast.
For now, however, we don’t have a set of different roles that we can assign to nodes, so every one needs to be capable to at least route messages to contribute to the network. But even with that, I hope the minimum will be low enough that a slow internet connection won’t be an obstacle - running 100 nodes behind it will, though.

7 Likes

Perhaps but that doesn’t mean you ban people from using all the back roads and neighborhood streets as well. Remember we’re talking about the whole internet here, the whole city/country, whatever, not just the superhighway. Wouldn’t it make more sense to shift the lower bandwidth people into a different lane or something somewhat like how you have different counters at the checkout counter at the store or even let someone with only a few groceries pass and go ahead of you for efficiency sake? Say you have a slow bandwidth person downloading a file that’ll take an hour and a fast bandwidth person that’ll take 2 minutes. It’ll make more sense for the fast bandwidth to go ahead in line and get done faster. But it would ALSO make sense that if there was a big line of high bandwidth users ahead of slow bandwidth users to simply create two lines so you didn’t create a hold up for either. Also for low bandwidth couldn’t we have a different file strategey? Like say break up a file even smaller so it downloads even faster? Say if your bandwidth is below x amount your files get flagged as low bandwidth and get rechunked to an even smaller size, like I dunno, 10kb each. That way you can download more chunks faster. Same idea as torrenting. Small bits downloading big files.

Vault usage allows one to farm safecoin. Safecoin allows one to post to the network. Running the launcher won’t do much good if one can’t upload and post to the internet because one can’t earn safecoin.

Nobody get’s banned. You confuse the Vaults from the network. With very slow connection you can’t run a Vault but you can still be part of the network and even route data. Look, here it is:

No worries

4 Likes

Nice, everything still working smoothly here :smiley:

3 Likes

Same here, vault purring like a kitting for well over 24 hours, no issues, virtually no CPU usage, only used 1.2GB data in 24 hours and all my account’s data remains intact and accessible . What more can we ask for? :beers:

(Lost my first account but possibly through human error not sure)

A Vault disconnection could be saying, “hey, you bit off more than you can chew!”

Example
Perhaps the farmer has a <1Mbps Bandwith connection with 4TB storage capacity. At some point, their vault filled pass the upload capability. In other words, the vault can no longer keep up with GET requests, routing, caching, and consensus.

This is why I like the idea of Bandwith grading. The above situation can be avoided because the Network refuses to give a low Bandwith Vault more chunks than they can handle. And if their connection is really, really, really poor… then a ZERO vault may be another alternative.

For now, we need a performance Network. Otherwise, we’ll have a hard time getting the general public to adopt.

3 Likes

I lost access to my first account, although the public ID is still taken. Was able to register a new one with the same credentials.

Im also not able to upload anything. Can register ID. But after an upload failed the first time I tried it wont let me register new services and upload or use template.

Edit: registering a whole new account with different credentials works. But if a folder fails to upload, most attempts at publishing/uploading fails on that account.

The demo app is also much slower on my mac than my win pc. (in getting auth)

Other than that, vaults running very smoothly on both.

3 Likes

I see similar behaviour - The original account I created will now not allow me to upload either private files, directories or public sites, whether on the template or as a pre=prepared folder containing index.html +css etc

Vault console output available (later) if its going to help.

EDIT: A new account works just fine, simply when I log on with the old credentials I cannot do much of anything