MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 12th April 2016

Just wanted to highlight this point to my fellow trolls. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

The Vaults are coming! And the Ants will probably join them :thumbsup: .

15 Likes

Up 9,73% already :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Absolutely, I need these as well for the proof of concept device that I started a few weeks back. Of course immediately got pulled into hangouts for MVP. It is a serious priority for me and I will do my best ot push it through. It is an absolute necessity for Iot and more.

Rust itself is pushing a load of good news there though as well. I think cross compiling will get very much easier soon. See the rust-everywhere github for instance and rustup now pushing forward with targets enabled. It’s all looking great as ARM features as almost fist stop in cross compilation. We will be OK Huey will have a new family soon :wink:

20 Likes

Note, I have pretty awesome integration tests at https://github.com/cretz/go-safeclient/tree/master/integration (and basically a clone in JS at https://github.com/cretz/safeclient.js/tree/master/integration) that may be able to help. You could call them integration, functional, end-to-end, sut, black box, etc. Once things ramp up, it may be worth working these into some form of CI…at least then you’ll know if you have made a breaking change on the launcher side. You also have a framework for adding anything that might be brought up as a bug. Feel free to steal them from me and embed in your own stuff too if you want (JS or Go…both liberally licensed).

10 Likes

Fantastic, we will get some of these in place, @Krishna_Kumar will probably send you a virtual beer as well :smiley: He has been left stranded in the API’s with the community but doing well. We hope we can back him up better very soon as we get vaults done now.

10 Likes

Congratulations guys and girls!
Tuesdays are always so nice :smiley:

8 Likes

What’s that? It’s a promise? and hold them to it? Gotcha, loud and clear. :wink:

5 Likes

Already feeling the tightening hands on throat :smiley:

11 Likes

The best way to predict the future is to create it

#step by step the ants are coming

19 Likes

what will vault look like? will we have an extra drive pop up when launching client? sorry for my lack of technical knowledge

1 Like

A vault is the network really. It’s a node like a vertex on a spiders web. They provide resources and people run these locally and they should punch through firewalls and routers to join the network and provide resource. Client software may use these to proxy through to the network (nice and secure to do so) as a bootstrap node etc.

A vault (node) is a pretty dumb piece of software in terms of user interface, in fact initially there is no interface. Just a config file that allow you to state the max capacity the vault will use (space only for now) and also your wallet address. This wallet address will be where any safecoins the vault earns (farms)

Note: safecoin is not part of the mvp, it comes after messaging

17 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but am I right when I think the release of the MVP signals the “point of no return” for the network? Whatever is PUT is whatever stays. No more reboots.

1 Like

Sadly no, this is a proof point of the network and will still have messaging and safecoin missing as well as a very important component we need to put in routing for security. There will be wire protocol changes and until beta this should not be considered fully secured or persistent.

What you will be able to do is design and use apps from the API’s etc. as well as test and see how it all pulls together. This is by far the biggest milestone though the project will encounter as getting an autonomous network up and running si a very large step. It will not be perfect, but has to be very good to even work, never mind all the other bits :wink:

This really is for early look and feel as well as the app developers introduction to allow apps to be thought about and in many cases built.

20 Likes

Hello,

Am I correct that in the future the Crust library will be made ‘asynchronous’ with the mio crate (epoll)?

This may sound like a stupid question but where does other people’s data go, in my hard drive? will there be any way to see the data moving, for people like me which have very basic computer skills.

Also i read somewhere that there is no trace of my SAFE data/activity on my computer that’s why am wondering where exactly the data go.

1 Like

@anon86652309 @dirvine Any chance you could push changes to http://apt-alpha.maidsafe.net/ ?

Thanks

Sam

3 Likes

Yes this will need done for sure.

3 Likes

@anon86652309 @dirvine Thanks! Will you be keeping that URL/ Repo? Or moving it to apt-maidsafe.net?

3 Likes

I would just like to point out the fact that “Micheal Jackson” is on the advisory board. Moon(walk) confirmed? :slight_smile:

Edit:
(I’m probably not the first person to make that joke lol)

5 Likes