MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 11th August 2015

The guys in routing, safe_vault and safe_client have reached agreement on the channel based API.

Have you tried, cargo clean, cargo update then cargo build?

cargo clean
cargo update
cargo build

Compiling crust v0.2.3
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/beacon.rs:199:17: 199:36 error: use of unstable library feature ‘udp’: remaining functions have not been scrutinized enough to be stabilized
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/beacon.rs:199 try!(socket.set_broadcast(true));
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:1:1: 6:48 note: in expansion of try!
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/beacon.rs:199:5: 199:38 note: expansion site
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/beacon.rs:199:17: 199:36 help: add #![feature(udp)] to the crate attributes to enable
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/lib.rs:34:12: 34:22 error: unused or unknown feature
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/lib.rs:34 #![feature(udp_extras)]
^~~~~~~~~~
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/lib.rs:27:29: 27:44 note: lint level defined here
/home/phil/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-0a35038f75765ae4/crust-0.2.3/src/lib.rs:27 unused_comparisons, unused_features, unused_parens, while_true)]
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
error: aborting due to 2 previous errors
Could not compile crust.

To learn more, run the command again with --verbose.

Is this with nightly Phil, we still have that restriction, some changes to last nights nightly rust, but shoudl be foxed now I think. Certainly @prakash was doing the pull request earlier.

At least the first errors have gone. Looks like crust is missing a feature, I’ll add it as an issue on GitHub.

1 Like

@brian_s,

Yes, I just went through the same clean etc exercise for crust and still got errors there too . .

This is what is in crust/.git/config:

[core]
repositoryformatversion = 0
filemode = true
bare = false
logallrefupdates = true
[remote “origin”]
url = GitHub - maidsafe-archive/crust: Reliable p2p network connections in Rust with NAT traversal. One of the most needed libraries for any server-less / decentralised projects
fetch = +refs/heads/:refs/remotes/origin/
[branch “master”]
remote = origin
merge = refs/heads/master

• that is the right stuff?

Thanks,
Phil.

What you’ve got in git config looks ok, I’ve put an issue in for it Phil, thanks for reporting it. I think if you wanted a temporary manual fix it would require looking for crust in the .cargo/registry/src folder and adding #![feature(udp)] to the lib.rs file.

@brian_s I just did a pr that updates to latest nightly, if it’s cool then a merge will bring us up to speed.

1 Like

Cheers @dirvine, merge done.

2 Likes

@brian_s,

So crust should work now? (it’s not) - doing the clean etc thing again:

Compiling crust v0.2.3 (file:///home/phil/src/rust/maidsafe/crust)
src/beacon.rs:27:5: 27:24 error: use of unstable library feature ‘duration’: recently added API per RFC 1040
src/beacon.rs:27 use std::time::Duration;
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/beacon.rs:27:5: 27:24 help: add #![feature(duration)] to the crate attributes to enable
src/beacon.rs:168:36: 168:49 error: use of unstable library feature ‘duration’: recently added API per RFC 1040
src/beacon.rs:168 .set_read_timeout(Some(Duration::new(10, 0)));
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
src/beacon.rs:168:36: 168:49 help: add #![feature(duration)] to the crate attributes to enable
src/beacon.rs:199:17: 199:36 error: use of unstable library feature ‘udp’: remaining functions have not been scrutinized enough to be stabilized
src/beacon.rs:199 try!(socket.set_broadcast(true));
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:1:1: 6:48 note: in expansion of try!
src/beacon.rs:199:5: 199:38 note: expansion site
src/beacon.rs:199:17: 199:36 help: add #![feature(udp)] to the crate attributes to enable
src/lib.rs:34:12: 34:22 error: unused or unknown feature
src/lib.rs:34 #![feature(udp_extras)]
^~~~~~~~~~
src/lib.rs:27:29: 27:44 note: lint level defined here
src/lib.rs:27 unused_comparisons, unused_features, unused_parens, while_true)]
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
error: aborting due to 4 previous errors
Could not compile crust.

To learn more, run the command again with --verbose.

You need to be using nightly and the latest nightly and it will be fine.

1 Like

@dirvine when we can expect the installers? I suppose this week will be hard. It will be delayed another week or more? I would like to know more or less :smile:

@dirvine,

Whenever anyone says “nightlies” I think (in this case eg) of the latest crust stuff - but you mean the “nightly” RUST stuff - it is hard to get used to that thinking (that the language, or rather the crates I guess, are changing so often) . .
Anyway, all good now but I guess I should put the curl get nightly stuff in my my build script or at least try and remember to run it at least once a day . .

Thanks,
Phil.

We will finish sprint tomorrow and installers after that. Installers are part of the sprint, it’s still happening, we are absolutely flat oot here :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Exciting news!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ethereum and now MAID coming into form… I feel so spoiled! :smiley:

3 Likes

@dirvine,

Spoke too soon I guess - trying to understand a bit deeper now:

• We are building stuff in dirs: crust maidsafe_client maidsafe_nfs maidsafe_types maidsafe_vault routing
  • dir “crust” builds fine now
  • dir “routing” has “crust” as a dependency and also builds fine using the same version of “crust” that has just been built (but I’m not sure if it is using what has just been built or if it is getting the code from somewhere else)
  • dirs maidsafe_client maidsafe_nfs maidsafe_types fail with an error about trying to build with an old version (0.1.5) of crust - but “crust” is not listed as a dependency in their respective Cargo.toml files . .
  • maidsafe_vault fails with:
    no matching package named maidsafe_sodiumoxide found (required by safe_vault)
    location searched: registry GitHub - rust-lang/crates.io-index: Registry index for crates.io
    version required: *

I presume I am missing something still and that these issues are explained somewhere?

Thanks,
Phil.

did you do a cargo update ? If you are getting new code from github it may need a cargo update if any dependencies change. If your on github yer in dev country.

Plus you don’t need maidsafe_types any more. This is right at sprint end so massive dramatic changes if you know what I mean :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, in each dir, in the order:

crust, routing, maidsafe_client, maidsafe_nfs, maidsafe_types, maidsafe_vault

I did:

cargo clean ; cargo update ; cargo build

P.

@dirvine Do you ever sleep?

How you remain so attentive to this forum, unfailing patient and so productive generally 24 hours a day totally mystifies me.
Promise us you will take a good long rest after this is done - we don’t want to lose you.

“Man cannot live on Yumyums and langoustines alone”

11 Likes

Ah gimme a minute and I will push a fix, this is a fast moving target right now, really really hard fast work, I will fix this right now though. Gimme 5 mins. Then I am gonna really have to get sprint stuff done, tomorrow is last day :slight_smile:

4 Likes