MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 11th August 2015

Reading this gave me a headache cos im not really tech sawy haha!

Screenshot looks good though, is this the design we will have when we open the SAFE client/app or is this just for SAFE uploader ?

Something trendy is the background pic on user’s profil like facebook, even openbazaar has it.http://openbazaar.github.io/OpenBazaar-Design/
People like to create their own little virtual space lol
I think it’s not easy to create a nice UI for decentralized software, that’s why the more pics the better ( my opinion)

3 Likes

The design is specific to the uploader for now. I’m sure the design team will have something in mind by way of customisation in future releases, although, at the moment I’m not aware of what that might be.

What will the installers enable as far as connectivity to other machines, over what sort of lines?

Is this sort of the beginning of people (or at least network nodes) being able to connect globally?

Amazing update @brian_s! I personally love getting all the details, Maidsafe team is great with full disclosure also. You’re right about people being excited for mobile too :smile: simply can’t wait to play around and upload and retrieve some data!

6 Likes

What I’m getting is that this first release will be in house network that is globally accessible or least storage is in house; hence the 1GB limit. then sounds like mock routing gets swapped out for the real routing that is actively being worked on for the remainder of this sprint so we can all connect globally

3 Likes

Yeah, I know we’re not going full blown. I’m trying to get a handle on the user experience, in relation to the network. I got some data that they’re using digital ocean servers for the time being. That sort of keeps it “in house” but lets everybody play on a network that is starting to approximate the end product, but not yet there. I think that’s it anyway.

4 Likes

That is the short term goal, start putting this in peoples hands. Initially apps may be static binaries, but installers for vaults etc. This part will move quickly though.

10 Likes

@Brian_s

I think it would help to explain what you mean by the uploader and relate it to the screengrabs because although I can guess what is going on here it isn’t clear, and I think people will be at a loss to understand how you go from uploading files to seeing those screengrabs.

Crazy work guys! Im very exited for build my own website or project on Safe Network!

6 Likes

Ah yes, the uploader is a desktop app to select a service (from the DNS system, such as website) and a public name. Then you will be able to upload to this location, in this case a website. So a sample of an app to create static sites for now. Just a demo really of a decentralised web / html network.

As the API’s stabalise further then we will put out a lot of these examples. There will also be an examples zip/tarball to allow everyone to just run our examples without needing rust etc.

@Krishna_Kumar will walk you through that for sure.

15 Likes

@fergish technically non devs have been globally connecting nodes for about a month :wink:

Continuing the discussion from Running a publicly available crust node within a private LAN:

A huge thank you! to everyone who is obviously putting a lot of “blood, sweat, and tears” into building the world’s future network. You are an inspiration for all and stories will continue to be told about your special team for a very long time.

At least in my community the word is spreading fast and there is much anticipation.

13 Likes

Very exciting. I keep sharpening my rust skills, hoping to catch up down the road… but now python bindings!! And I ask myself why oh why must I be out of town this weekend when it sounds like this release will arrive. Thanks for keeping the rapid progress up!

1 Like

@happybeing The desktop application is like a File transfer application to the Safe Network.

The usage of desktop app would be,

1. Select the service name and public name (www.happybeing.com), www is the service and happybeing.com is the public name
  2. Drag and drop the files to be served for the service(www) under the public name(happybeing.com).
  3. The desktop application would create the public folder and the dns mapping record in the Safe Network.

Then we expect the Firefox Add-on for the Safe network to be installed on the Firefox browser (Will detail the installation instructions once we are about to wrap it up). Once the Add-on is installed, just hitting safe:www.happybeing.com on the address bar of the browser would serve the page from the Safe Network.

We are also planning to provide a template section along with the drag and drop feature, i.e, drag and drop your own files or use the existing template (to help non technical users).

@Scott has illustrated the the desktop application walk through,

use an existing template feature is missing in the above image. Above is the initial version of design, later we thought of adding use an existing template feature for making it easier to try for users with no html background. So they can edit the template from the app and save/publish to the network.

Hope this gives some clarity :smile:

22 Likes

Not only does this explanation give some clarity; it also brings an unprecedented quantity of excitement :joy:

14 Likes

That sounds pretty bloody rad, @Krishna_Kumar. Do you have file views as well, something like an FTP client?

Is there anything I can pull on git to checkout the FF plugin? I’m keen to see what sort of API is available to us in the browser.

1 Like

Since this is the first application/example out of the Rust boundary, we have lot of challenges to resolve. So we are putting out a simple example, without much App functionality. We can certainly evolve the application with each iteration. We also have few restrictions from the API level as of now, but all those would be resolved in the upcoming weeks. This is just the first step towards porting the APIs.

I am not sure about what API you are meaning in this context(Safe/Firefox). The Safe Add-on does not expose any API, it merely intercepts the safe: scheme and renders the content.

1 Like

Aha, @Krishna_Kumar I was thinking about how to save something to the network, for example PUT a file upload etc?

I guess that’s something that’s out of scope of the FF plugin itself then at this stage?

You are right @joshuef, the uploading part is done from the Desktop Application at this stage.

@Krishna_Kumar
Can your public name consist of special characters, foreign languages characters, space and tab?
for instance public name : !ɔċ لعَ贼德…www
Have you tried stuff to break the SAFE dns? Like:
www…www…www.
safe:safe:safe:safe::

Will there also be an visual indicator that I’m visiting a SAFE website? I think you would know if your visiting a SAFE website when you log into the SAFE Network with your SAFE creds. But what if I unknowingly downloaded a malware Firefox Add-on for the SAFE network and I go to safe:www.happybeing.com without logging in? Not everything is what it seems on the current internet.

Will the Add-on be available through Mozilla or directly from Maidsafe?

If NSA/Attackers can change http: to safe: and serve content on the current internet, would it be detectable, if your not logged into the SAFE Network?

2 Likes

Cool stuff! Although I don’t think I’ll be using www on Safenet. Way to confusing for a lot of people. safe:polpolrene should be fine :wink: Will there be a reset before launch, where all the DNS names are removed again? Or is there a possibility that these names will be alive in the 1.- network?

4 Likes