Maidsafe compared to tor?

Tor can also provide anonymity to websites and other servers.

What about services on maidsafe?
Can a foe censor maidsafe services? Can a foe monitor and locate who is
administrating a maidsafe service? Can a foe monitor and locate who is a client
to a maidsafe service?

Is it like tor a foe will know if you use maidsafe and can censor it? Tor has
tor bridges. Can you do the same about maidsafe?
Thank you.

My take:

Tor can also provide anonymity to websites and other servers.
What about services on maidsafe?

Yes definitely - users on safe are totally anonymous unless they choose to identify themselves. IP addresses are wiped at the first hop and all traffic is encrypted.

Can a foe censor maidsafe services?

No

Can a foe monitor and locate who is administrating a maidsafe service?

No

Can a foe monitor and locate who is a client to a maidsafe service?

No

Is it like tor a foe will know if you use maidsafe and can censor it?

Possibly by traffic profiling but not easily. The most likely way would be to only allow whitelisted traffic and throttling the rest.

Tor has tor bridges. Can you do the same about maidsafe?

I don’t believe so, but they wouldn’t really be necessary.

6 Likes

Thing is if world will follow China great wall.
In EU some countries have rules for ISPs to collect lot of information. If SAFE network would be so popular they can set white lists and ban all other traffic.
So how such a white list could work ?

I was thinking about the Great Firewall. They probably do whitelist known traffic profiles and protocols and block the rest, but determined people always seem to find a way around it. For most other countries things aren’t quite so bad (yet). Theresa May has always sounded keen on such measures though …

1 Like

Also crust can and will try ports 80 and 443 where possible This makes it very hard to whitelist those ports (they are the web protocol http and https). We can add more like 143 etc. but will see how this one goes. So even whitelist won’t work. If then deep packet inspection in conjunction with entropy measures were taken to confirm a particular encryption scheme was used, all we need to is finally encrypt with that.

There is always a way :smiley:

21 Likes

Will be interesting times if/when the network gains large adoption. ISP’s vs MaidSafe 1v1 :slight_smile: , who can outsmart the other. Until we then advance the network a whole new step by inventing a crazy cool device that can send out far reaching massive signal and create a mesh network with SAFE as well. And Nodes that have old net(ISP) + safe mesh net can actually then help out those SAFE nodes too get old net like a proxy :smiley: . That would doubly piss off ISP’s(make the traffic seems like its routing to the real service user but then its really just serving a proxy to go through safe net on back-end and give internet service to a SAFE Network mesh node.

Thank you. Can you clarify a foe will be able to tell if there is a connection between a maidsafe
service and a computer? Will the foe know the ip addresses of both? If the answer is yes
then the foe will be able to censor and persecute people should they be located in the
foe’s sphere of power. Censoring will be a difficult task for the foe? In general you
cannot make a system such that a foe will not know a computer is using
that system? The overall question is, is maidsafe better in preventing censorship and
persecution of people than tor and i2p?

No … (20 chars)

5 Likes

I hope so! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Tor has pluggable transports that allow protocol obfuscation (e.g. obfs4) and also disguising packets to look like they are from a common app (skype).

The Safe Network may not need this type of obfuscation (packet obfuscation) but if it does, then IMO, you can rest assured that it will be added down the track.

Fighting against censorship is one of the main goals of the Safe Network, so I wouldn’t worry about this being a problem - the team at MAIDSAFE will adapt the network as needed to push through barriers where-ever and when-ever they emerge.

You might want to look at this old thread for some more details: https://forum.autonomi.community/t/disguising-maidsafe-packets

5 Likes