Maidsafe app/browser + safecoins questions

Hello,

I have some questions:

Will maidsafe have a browser ? i hear a lot of talks about apps but not so much about websites, aren’t app usually for smarphones?
If i have a website for instance, will i need to be connected to the network for my site to be broadcasted? (like openbazaar) or will the site be online regardless?

I also have a few questions about safecoins.

how will i send safecoins to someone? through a safecoins address? through a user ID? username?
has david tested the safecoins mecanism yet? are you guys sure that it will work and that the double spent problem is indeed solved?

thanks

malice

2 Likes

There will be a plugin for Firefox. I don’t know if there’s a browser inside the SAFE App Launcher.

i hear a lot of talks about apps but not so much about websites, aren’t app usually for smarphones?

Yes, it’s a bit confusing. You run programs on your computer, and Apps on your mobile device or in a Chrome browser. SAFE will provide a lot of this. There will be programs on Windows/Linux that connect to the SAFE Client using an API. But at the same time, the SAFE App launcher will provide an environment where you can run Apps on the SAFE (sneakpeak here).

how will i send safecoins to someone? through a safecoins address? through a user ID? username?

You can store your name in SAFEnet. So you don’t need to use these long addresses to send Safecoin. But you can if you will.

has david tested the safecoins mecanism yet? are you guys sure that it will work and that the double spent problem is indeed solved?

Probably next sprint they’ll work on that. Double spending shouldn’t be possible.

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer.

I’m surprised that no one has tried to create a totally anonymous digital cash using david’s method yet.
I have had a look at the double spent thread and although i am not a programmer the mecanism seems pretty straight forward.
I’m not saying that someone should as i really want maidsafe to be the first to pull this off,just surprised that no one tried david’s method since that’s what we all want right? a real digital cash not some highly traceable bitcoin :wink:

2 Likes

For the most part discussions about Apps here refer to everything, not just mobile. It’s true that “apps” has come from mobile, specifically Apple popularising it, but it is short for “application”, which includes desktop etc. and that’s how were using it on the forum.

Certainly there may be apps that run on one kind of device, or one operating system, but not others, just as now - it depends what the developer decides to support. This is one of the reasons web apps work well - it’s much easier to make them so they work on any operating system and device.

Edit: you won’t need to be online for your website/web app to be visible to others.

2 Likes

Why not drop firefox, and start supporting servo? The next generation browser written by the same devs who wrote firefox. Bonus side is that it is written in rust.

2 Likes

Servo is something that is being watched very closely :smile:

4 Likes

I think this is because you need the network behind the token mechanism to make it work and getting the network, decentralised consensus mechanism…etc… up and running is non trivial. I agree that having untraceable and fee-less value transfer will be highly useful, I’m pretty confident we will be the first to get this running, probably not the last though :).

2 Likes

One has to start somewhere. I rather like to have a plugin for a known browser that a lot of people use, than no browser at all. But I agree, would be very cool if the next big thing could be supported. On the other hand, I think a lot of people use their own browser, so the more plugins for all of them the better. I wonder if there will be a browser within the SAFE App Launcher as well. That would be the most secure way to do things I think.

3 Likes