Maidsafe announces logo design competition on 99designs

Fire away, that would be good to hear your thoughts!

Those would have been disqualified, the only entries that were accepted were vector art.

There’s some promotional scope for being creative and classy with this via CG, animated gif, 3D printing etc

A matching font might make the SAFEcoin branding complete. I have an
acquaintance that does fonts full time i.e he obsesses over kerning all
day long…I could see if he’s interested in contributing if a new font
becomews desirable.

shouldve brought this discussion up sooner

Mathematical

These are good examples of nice font with a logo - though the concept of the logo ought to be expanded and made amazing:

Design #659 by Michelle.J | Rebrand safecoin, the digital currency of the decentralised network, SAFE - this one has a nice font and ring like logo
Design #652 by LohGemi | Rebrand safecoin, the digital currency of the decentralised network, SAFE
Design #576 by **BlaCk RosEs** | Rebrand safecoin, the digital currency of the decentralised network, SAFE - safe Coin :smile:

99designs

Design #489 by JoshPorter | Rebrand safecoin, the digital currency of the decentralised network, SAFE - safecoin written in 5 languages

Design #486 by Cubics | Rebrand safecoin, the digital currency of the decentralised network, SAFE

the colors and font are nice
Though the logo should convey the nature of a SafeCoin.

also Mobius or Moebius, is a surface with only one side and only one boundary component. The Möbius strip has the mathematical property of being non-orientable. It can be realized as a ruled surface. It was discovered independently by the German mathematicians August Ferdinand Möbius and Johann Benedict Listing in 1858.[1][2][3]
A model can easily be created by taking a paper strip and giving it a
half-twist, and then joining the ends of the strip together to form a
loop. However, the Möbius strip is not a surface of only one geometry
(i.e., of only one exact size and shape), such as the half-twisted paper
strip depicted in the illustration to the right. Rather, mathematicians
refer to the (closed) Möbius band as any surface that is homeomorphic
to this strip. Its boundary is a simple closed curve, i.e.,
homeomorphic to a circle. This allows for a very wide variety of
geometric versions of the Möbius band as surfaces each having a definite size and
shape. For example, any closed rectangle with length L and width W can
be glued to itself (by identifying one edge with the opposite edge after
a reversal of orientation) to make a Möbius band. Some of these can be
smoothly modeled in Euclidean space, and others cannot (see section Fattest rectangular Möbius strip in 3-space below).

we can make 3D rendering of this thing ; and then have an image of the object in 2D;

using the same method as making 3D scan of a person :smile:

I can make a 3D scan of any item and turn it into a 2D logo; only which object is coolest? :slight_smile:

1 Like

An update on the design contest…

To pick the finalists we ran polls and shared amongst all the MaidSafe staff, taking into consideration everyone’s comments. It was a difficult task whittling down 686 entries to the final 6 but we have finally done so!

The finalists now have 3 days to make revisions, after which we will run a poll on this forum so you can all have your say and be part of choosing the next safecoin logo!!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

3D CAD, honestly? Where have you ever seen a good looking 3D logo, with proper depth? Nobody has used 3D designs for anything branding related since the nineties.

Flat design is the way to go and has been the de-facto design standard for probably the past 2-3 years.

2 Likes

What? your saying I’m stuck in the nineties…your too nice :smile:

It doesn’t get much flatter or darker than http://blackcoin.co/ and does works well.

Did you make the cut to the final 6?

We actually cut to a final 5 Chris. We will be working with those designers for the rest of the week, having them try to expand on some of their original concepts.

5 Likes

mamma mia, some really amazing designs already up there. just when I thought i saw the perfect one
some even better ones came up…

really glad we went with 99designs, these guys really know how to… design :wink:

1 Like

You do realize, that I was the designer behind http://blackcoin.co?

Proof : Reddit - Dive into anything

The blackcoin logo was very well done- my opinion.

I realize that you are a designer and I write tunes :wink:

Circles are your fate
Another journey around the eight
Try to learn this time
In the riddle there’s a rhyme

The thing that gives me the most confidence in ProjectSAFE and the organization itself is the core staff’s humility.

Signs of humility:

Service orientation
A willingness to listen
Thinking things will work out in the end
Not being easily offended
Not being stuck in the past or holding on to grudges
Small enough to slip through the net that catches up human affairs
Thinking there is something higher
Grounded

There is an established currency upon which its formulators actually scribed the world “GOD,” and also placed the symbol of the panoptic eye or the “perfection of power.” There was a bit about “we trust,” also there but when you put that eye and “God” on money, maybe its a hint that money is what you take for your ultimate power. Also, on that currency is the symbol of hierarchy “pyramid” or stability but at maximum cost.

Its humble enough to have a higher power, but if we are talking about human means there is paradoxically nothing higher than humility. Money should never be applied to anything but humane ends.

If there were a word inscribed along the edge let it be humility. Let it be inscribed in small/tiny letters in Greek to add a bit of mystic and keep to a conservative style which is appropriate for money. Maybe its in watermark style or maybe it appears in code or as part of a verification. This could symbolic of an attempt to circumscribe the use of money, to voucherize it. The problem with money is that its power is too broad to be fully useful. We want it less toxic, less selfish.

“tapeinophrosune: humility
Original Word: ταπεινοφροσύνη, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: tapeinophrosune”

or even

“tapeinophrosýnē”

Whichever seems more humble.

1 Like

Time to pick a winner, exciting although it’s could take up to 14 days to see a result.

are we supposed to vote on the 99design website? I thought I read somewhere that a poll will be setup in this forum…

We will have information on how to vote to you all tomorrow morning. Still choosing the final designs for the poll!

2 Likes

We have decided to hold a private poll to prevent any of the designers finding this and voting for themselves. So to cast your vote please private mail me with the number of your favourite design (you’ll find the number in grey underneath the design to the right) and if you have a reason why please feel free to comment. Only votes from existing members of the forum will be counted. Poll closes Thursday 5pm GMT. May the best designer win! :slight_smile:

See the final entries here - Designs | Rebrand safecoin, the digital currency of the decentralised network, SAFE | Logo design contest

1 Like