MaidSafe and project SAFE moving forward

I support the idea of a poll, precisely because the thread has become unreadeable (2hours reading time atm). Different options will be crucial. Some options mentioned in this thread:

1. selling bit by bit on exchanges (reserve a part for bounties)
  2. selling off-market to private investors (reserve a part for bounties)
  3. use all Maidsafecoin for bounties
  4. auction the coins (reserve a part for bounties)
  5. burn all coins (alternative funding approaches)

There are probably more, will add them once I remember more.

2 Likes

and what if i want david to decide on my behalf …?

2 Likes

I don´t get the question. The Maidsafe Foundation holds the coins. They can and will decide independently of the poll or your will. Obviously the poll has no legal impact.

3 Likes

okay - then the poll is for them to get an impression who in the community would prefer which approach :slight_smile: i see

2 Likes

Of course, there are plenty of fake accounts. Just imagine they had effective influence on strategic decisions… For a mere impression of the opinions on the board it´s fine, I think.

1 Like

They need to give a realistic outlook on how much funds are needed to see this project to fruition. It’s not enough to say we need 65k or 85k per month. Suppose they raise $1,000,000 now and then 6 months down the road run into the same issue with no viable product.

1 Like
  • Getting your coin seriously devalued is ok?
  • Poloniex having 100M+ Maid coins is ok?
  • No gas in the tank to continue the project is ok?
  • Getting no sleep is ok?
  • No extra devs is ok?
  • Getting accused of stealing (something that you created) is ok?

Maidsafe got 45 btc + 19 M Maid (that nobody wants them to touch, if they touch it the market reacts or they have become thieves).

Dude are really really serious, if people who’s only goal is greed are already holding on to Maidsafecoin’s, how are we ever going to justify that?

Right now it’s all about survival, you survive when you got money, without it your just a bum on the street.

This is not an attack on your person, but let’s not forget that there are immoral people suddenly popup here.

My goal is not greed, it’s to make the SAFE Network grow, run my silly experiments and try to improve lives.

Besides the sum is simple, Maidsafe does a 1000 publicID auction get $2 M minimum or Maidsafe does nothing, gets nothing and the greedy people register the domains that they wanted and get even richer, greedier and laugh about us all for being goody goodies with totally no clue of how the real world works (while we work our a** off for them).:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

you do realize there already is a network …? and safecoin is (afaik) just a special kind of structured data … so to showcase the use of safecoin they e.g. could first ignore farming and release a testnet where every new account gets pre-charged with 100 testcoin … then you would could sent them around through the network and see how fast those coins are :open_mouth: …

once the network layer is reliable enough everything will go pretty fast i suppose …

4 Likes

You have said you would spend $3,000 and someone said they’d spend 10BTC. Call that about £6,000 or about 3 days current burn rate (£2k/day) and less at the anticipated £85k/month with the coin loan funding.

You haven’t though answered any of the questions I put forward that would enable us to work out if this would meet your stated aim, which I understand is to provide a significant boost to MaidSafe funding in the short term, and without negatively impacting timescale to deliver the network and essential apps.

Even if you do make a case, there is going to be a lot of uncertainty involved here because we don’t know how many people who believe in this project have enough spare cash to afford to bid up prices to anything like the level you would require for this to raise even one week of funding. Consider this: in the short term all this money needs to come from people who already believe in the network and who are no doubt already long on MaidSafecoin. Based on that alone I think it is clear that in the short them this doesn’t provide an alternative, only a small supplement. I think it is a nice well meant gesture, but a dangerous one.

Long term it would be very lucrative, but if we wanted to do this we should have been working on it months ago to ensure that it doesn’t negatively impact MaidSafe or time to delivery. To do it now creates additional and unnecessary risk, and will be a distraction for MaidSafe.

I think it is dangerous for the above reasons alone, but also think it has the potential to undermine MaidSafe’s credentials and to make it harder to market this network as being for everyone rather than a money making scheme for some clever operators.

I don’t doubt your motives one iota, but I think you are getting carried away again, and risk damaging the project.

4 Likes

I agree with @metoo here, that it isn´t enough to call a monthly burn rate. Even if eventually wrong, there needs to be some sort of estimation how long it will take to deliver the final product from which on Maidsafe doesn´t need more external funding and can start to generate income by use of the network.

why? what do you get by those infos?

So a public id is also automatic your safe domain name right ?

I have 3 websites that i would love to preregister and eventually already pay for as a crowdfunding.Ofcourse not $1000 each thats insane, but its not a bad idea at all instead many people would just go nuts at start.

I understand your points, but as a stated months ago in the DNS thread, unless maidsafe register key domains, others will.

Is it better that maidsafe profit and continue to contribute towards the network’s development or some randoms benefit and spend the profits on whatever they wish (fast cars/women/etc)?

If we are concerned about impartiality, let the maidsafe charity auction the names and give the proceeds to whichever team they wish. Surely we must let the network benefit from this windfall, rather than others though.

2 Likes

Having thought about it, I agree, that the market probably isn’t there right now. So they could sequester the top 1000 names for longterm sale, and for now concentrate on other tasks.

Why not crowdsale them? Serieusly people here dont mind paying $20 for a domein/id and even if you sell 10000 its still a nice 200k they can use before spending own coins.

@Traktion

Is it better that maidsafe profit and continue to contribute towards the network’s development or some randoms benefit and spend the profits on whatever they wish (fast cars/women/etc)?

This is a different argument - you can try to make a case on this basis, but I think most people are responding here on the basis of an alternative to the coin loan, and clearly that is not viable.

Doing this for other reasons (such as the ones you put forward) still has to be considered against the risks I described, and I’d like to reiterate my point that if we wanted to do this it should have been months ago, not now.

1 Like

No argument from me there. It seems to be an open goal that the team have been ignoring for a while.

1 Like

Because of the size of the market that can realistically be expected for a non-existent network: At most it would be the readers of this forum (couple of thousand), but more realistically it would be the active participants (aka true believers, 100 or so), multiplied by their discretionary funds. Not enough.

Once SAFEnet is up and running then it is a completely different matter, of course.

So, pre-reserve the best names for later use.

4 Likes

I agree. However, I suspect that the majority of the community supports DIrvine and crew, and I suggested the poll to put to rest any claims of impropriety on their part. I wholeheartedly agree that they’re in controll of it and the poll is not binding. It is only to show support so they/we know and can feel that the community backs their autonomy and their decision. By showing our support via community poll that should give them the impetus to move forward with no reservations. Obviously community consensus is important to them, or they would’ve just done it anyway without informing us.

1 Like

Dont you think a crowdsale for domains is more fair and suited, you reward the people that believe your project aswell.
Keeping them might also give negative feedback