Maid not cited :(

Thanks Nick. I am totally ignorant in these matters and appreciate the response being an enthusiastic Safe follower.

4 Likes

At one point David indicated it takes around 2 years for a Dev to understand the network, is that still the case with the move to Rust and better documentation?

2 Likes

Soooooo been waiting for David or yourself to bring this point up again :wink:

SAFE is one of the rare projects where huge amounts of money at this point wouldn’t help (save for maybe a marketing war chest later on). The scope of the project and the internal architecture is so immense and detailed even with years/decades of related experience it’s so easy to have a superficial understanding of what’s beneath the hood yet genuinely think you have a good grasp of what the nuts and bolts of the network is actually all about.

Those occasions are when you get the eye rolls and the belief from some that money surely must be able to expedite things. I don’t blame anyone for thinking it though, I actually did for probably a good 12 months until the re-write was well underway. Life’s got a little bit easier since that time :+1:

5 Likes

I’m not sure to be honest Chris. I think it would still take a long time for a dev to understand all the libraries at a deep level, very understandable give the scope/scale of the network. Most understand their part of the network well with David and Viv having the oversight across the entire project. I think the time for a new engineer to start making contributions has certainly been shortened though due to better organisation and documentation.

14 Likes

Why is there still no entry in Wikipedia for Maidsafe / SAFE Network? Is it on the marketing TODO list?

Do you mean on our list John?

I believe that an entry would need to come from out with the company in order to adhere to Wikipedia’s rules.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s something the community could do then. I wouldn’t mind having a go, but it’s not something I’ve done before. I think it would make a big difference. Wikipedia is the first place many people look.

2 Likes

We did one before but it got deleted, so you need to make sure you follow their guidelines.

Oh right - any idea what you did wrong?

I wasn’t involved (‘we’ as in community). There may be info on this forum or someone who remembers. @fergish?

I have an excuse: Of Maidsafe & Blockchains, Rust & C++ - #37 by draw, but I’ve provided safe://todo, so you have a todo list to put it on :wink:

4 Likes

Wow - I never imagined it would be that difficult. Your fiverr plan sounds like a good one.

1 Like

There may be info on this forum or someone who remembers.

At the time this was listed as problems in the MaidSafe-article in Wikipedia (en):

This article has multiple issues. [hide]
• This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)
• This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2014)
• A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2014)
• The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia’s general notability guideline. (September 2015)

(Part of) the article:

MaidSafe

MaidSafe (Massive Array of Internet Disks - Secure Access For Everyone) is an open-source program that enables a decentralized internet platform. Instead of specialized servers, data is stored and distributed by a network of internet-connected computers supplied by network users. MaidSafe handles the allocation of hard disk space and communication between the computers (ensuring redundancy in case a computer goes offline). Data stored on the network is either encrypted or cryptographically signed by MaidSafe-connected applications (clients); the network itself cannot decrypt any of the data.

Users providing storage space, cpu power and bandwidth to the network earn Safecoin, a digital currency that can be used to store information on the network.

Edit: one of the last versions before it was removed, okt. 2015, is here at the web.archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151026034754/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MaidSafe

4 Likes

Shame. It’s rather good! Must have taken quite a while to put together. Easiest thing is probably to do as @Antifragile suggests above. Someone could spend a lot of time creating a page only to have it rejected, and considering what’s involved a couple of hundred quid is not bad at all - money well spent IMO. I take it they only charge for a page once it has been successfully published?

2 Likes

I at some point stated I’d help with it when I could, but that hasn’t bubbled up as a priority for me as yet. Honestly, I’d be more easy to engage if someone put together a proposed article and asked me to do an edit/rewrite. That’s more my forte.

5 Likes

There is also a lot of political correctness nonsense going on at Wikipedia. That’s why Infogalactic was created and is growing. I qualified as an editor/writer for Infogalactic, but haven’t put in the time to learn the ropes enough to be useful. It might be worth collaborating on an article and at least getting it on there. It is rapidly taking Wiki light.

2 Likes