Low tech citations

It occurs to me that with the advent of the SAFE network and the creation of a whole new internet it might be more difficult to cite clearnet websites as references to scientific papers or research in general. Also I suspect SAFE will end up marketing to a wider audience than the internet did due to it’s ability to mesh network. This means that hardcopy book references may make a resurgence and subsequently paper libraries may make a come back.

Just upload all the documents to SAFE instead of the cleanet

That’s what will happen, I believe

I have a 870 page reference text sitting beside me here. The book itself is a couple hundred dollars on amazon. Some “documents” aren’t all that easy to get a hold of let a lone scan. Nevermind the fact that going through them is sometimes easier done flipping pages believe it or not.

Also may I add not everyone has bloody internet access all the time. In fact a good portion of the population doesn’t.

1 Like

So how about “Scholar Ninja” - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/scholar%20ninja - a Chrome ‘extension’ …

From the article - http://juretriglav.si/an-open-distributed-search-engine-for-science/ - this:

1. Once you install the extension you’ll see a gray ninja in your extensions corner.

2. You’ll immediately join the Scholar Ninja Chord distributed hash table network using WebRTC as the transport layer. You can start searching by clicking on the ninja.

3. Try it out, you’ll get results from the network in a few seconds:

4. OK this is cool, but where do the results come from? From many nodes in the network! But how do they get into the network? Aha, good question! The secret is that every node is also an indexer. So when the ninja icon turns green it means the site you’re currently visiting is supported by Scholar Ninja and will be added to the index, so that everyone in the network will be able to search through it. And that’s it!

Scholar Ninja does not index sites you do not visit, so it doesn’t cause any additional load on publishers’ servers. Right now, PLOS, eLife, PeerJ and ScienceDirect are supported, so any paper you read from these publishers, while using the extension, will get indexed and added to the network automatically.

Given the “WebRTC video chat” demo - MaidSafe Dev Update – November 1, 2016 - you would think this “ring of knowledge” could be made accessible also from the Safe Network - albeit involving non-trivial developers effort - so you will be able to search it there too and add safe://linked data to it.

Without a ‘data diode’ resulting in an amalgam bookmarking arrangement accessible in both networks through their own browser?

His more or less abandoned code here: https://github.com/ScholarNinja

Modest as he is this guy expected his scheme to stop working immediately after making it available in 2014 but if you install the extension it looks like enough people are currently using it.

No idea what capacity problems one gets if it really would take off but maybe then resort to a division of interests and start a separate network for each field, user group and so on?

2 Likes
  1. We need firefox and Safebrowser adaptation.
  2. It still doesn’t solve the problem of what do people do when they don’t have access to the net. What about those that rely on mesh networking for example?
  3. In point of fact there are actually more information resources that are still in hard copy form that there are on the web. Think about that for a moment. All the information on the internet is just a fraction of the information out there when compared to that of physical books and documents.