Local internet infastructure

So I was thinking about how Maid Safe makes a great decentralized server but the problem of internet speeds stayed with me. Then I had a freaking awesome idea.
http://www.wirelesshack.org/long-range-wifi-antenna.html
This link I just posted is an antenna that could be used for houses to transfer data with each other and since they use the MaidSafe network, the only speed that matters is the speed between these two houses. MaidSafe does not currently have a way of rewarding internet speeds. So, how is any house paid to upgrade their network for their neighbors?

Believe it or not the answer is Bitcoins segwit. When a channel is created between two users on segwit the fee to create that channel is slow and expensive. Once the channel is created however, you and I can freely exchange however much bitcoin is in our channel. If you and I both use walmart for example, then we also have a channel between each other with a hop in between (Walmart) and we do all of this without using the miners

A video explaining the lighting network better than me.

This explanation helps explain why people in between two users benefit (hops)

So if the MaidSafe network needed to contact a machine 3 hops away to pull a website request, it could use a bitcoin payment to pay the hops in between. All we need is a GUI with this in mind and a constant reminder to users to make connections with each other as it is mutually beneficial.

Please comment your feedback below.

I just dont get it, so if i want to say that firstly, because maybe i dont understand your intent properly.

You propose the network should be paying out btc to retrieve data from the the network?

1 Like

uhm - i think i missed some aspect of your idea here too :thinking: if you want to share your internet connection and want to get rewarded … couldn’t you just share a proxy server connection with your neighbour relaying safenet-data to you for safecoin …?

1 Like

Not at all. If MaidSafe can come up with its own reward system for internet speeds, it is welcomed. MaidSafe is just a decentralized server right now. The method I’m proposing is just a decentralized infrastructure and payment system for that infrastructure using what systems I know exist today with minimal development.

So you aren’t sharing an internet connection. You’re paying each other for a connection to each other. If other neighbors have the same data that Maid is trying to collect, it can dynamically pay a cheaper price to pay for that connection.

This is my way of coming up with a peer to peer ISP instead of going through say comcast. If you can think of a way for this to occur using the MaidSafe token please let me know.

I should probably explain that the following video helped me come up with this idea in the first place

1 Like

As far as i know. Not having looked at the code myself.
When a request for data is sent. Those who supply said data, stand the chance to farm some safecoin.
So that is the reward for having a faster connection.

Edit. Ok i am sleepy today. Your trying to go p2p. Ill watch the vid.

I think you meant lightning network.

But I am not sure to understand: Do you propose to reuse the safe network infrastructure as the infrastructure of a lightning network?

If yes, I think this is a great idea. It wouldn’t be interoperable with other lightning implementations because there are based on IP addresses for referencing nodes (contrary to safe network) but I see many advantages for delivering such a byproduct, even before the launch of the full safe network:

• this would be a great advertisement of the safe network in the bitcoin community

• the fact that IP address is scrubbed in safe network would be seen as an advantage for privacy

• the same is true for the completely encrypted communications

• this intermediate delivery could be a way to calm down impatient people that want the full network now

Of course, the team shouldn’t waste too much time on this, but if the development of a lightning layer over crust is not too costly then they should divert some resources on it. An added advantage is that it would test the crust component in the wild.

2 Likes

I believe the hype for net neutrality being repealed could warrant a kickstarter that would allow independently paid developers.

Now I will admit that I did not think of using Maid Safe for the lightning network (or putting a lightning network on maid safe is what I mean) although perhaps this is another route we could take. In my original idea, I just came up with a P2P free market economy internet structure and Maid was imperative to that structure because the distribution of data would mean faster speeds because you would only have to connect to your neighbor instead of a server is Colorado.

Using bitcoin’s lightning network channels means that not only the node at the end of the data stream gets rewarded, but also every hop along the way. This is necessary to ensure free market economics and is natural to the lightning network.

@Yay
I still cant understand what problem you are trying to solve.
You want the network to somehow pay for better connections between you and your neighbour?
How does that benefit the network.
The network only needs to get the data quickly and efficiently which it does.

If you and your neighbour are both on the safenetwork and the data you have is requested you supply it.
If it were the opposite.
You and your neighbour both on safenetwork and the data your neighbour has is requested, how would you even know that the request was made?

Asterisk with the existing internet infrastructure which has no plans to be upgraded and the price is dictated by monopolies.

Are we really a decentralized network when access to that network is centralized?

I would have to know more about Safe to answer that question.

What? Most of the world is currently in the process of upgrading and has done and will be doing so for a long time. Yes some areas don’t see upgrades for a number of years but it is still going on.

Also SAFE does not allow you to decide the routes it will take. So you cannot for instance tell your vault to use your neighbour’s node as part of its routing. SAFE uses XOR addressing which in effect creates random routing to other nodes.

If you want a system to pay for faster links then SAFE itself is not going to provide that. Its security model relies on the XOR addressing to effectively randomise the routes around the world.

^ This helps.
So the thing is, it would use your neighbor’s house if it was the only route it could take, however, it doesn’t have to be as some people have several neighbors. Choosing which neighbor you go through isn’t super important anyway. The mesh network topology itself is whats important. Also, I would like it to be noted that said infrastructure could interface with the rest of the internet if one of these people was paying one of the monopolistic ISPs.

So, people who would normally get half a megabyte per second, can route through each other to a person who has 100Mbps internet (if required) and of course there couldn’t just be one person who had this access on the network to be beneficial but there would be incentives there for people to do it.

Safe would route through people who had access to say comcast if needed to access the data it needs because it would be the only route it could take. You don’t have to specify, it just has to be there.

Firstly mesh would be a later addition to SAFE. They need to get it running “fault free” on the current infrastructure first.

Secondly the XOR addressing would mean that rarely would a node in a local mesh talk to a node in the same local mesh. Its a global addressing scheme that has no concept of location or local areas. So if your local mesh has 1000 nodes and SAFE has 10 million nodes then its a 1 in 10000 chance that your node is going to route to another node in your local mesh.

But as mesh networks grow over the next decade or two and SAFE implements mesh routing then this might change. For for the foreseeable future of 5 years or more the routing would be global and thus routing within a local mesh is not happening. Reasons are security and anonymity

I get where you’re going with this now. It would be slow right? Granted then that the current system isn’t perfectly optimized. Still though, a mesh among neighbors that leads to the backbone of the internet is faster than the DSL my hometown has to go through to get to the servers of today.

But it would have to though. Otherwise there would be a dead end.

Wait, are you assuming that each of these people has access to the service provider of the area and that SAFE would route through them instead of their neighbors? Because they wouldn’t.

If the North Arkansas Telephone Company (NATCO) service provider for Omaha, Arkansas, offers me $80 a month internet at 1mbps speeds, why would I pay for their service in the first place when the connection to my neighbor is 30mbps. Only people towards say Harrison would be buying the ISP packages anymore.

No I am saying that SAFE would not be deciding which exit point from the mesh is being used. Also that only 1 in say 10000 would be mesh to mesh connection

The exit point would be decided ex-SAFE

Maybe when mesh is built into SAFE this could change

So it would have to be part of a seperate program which would be part of the GUI that people use to pay each other in the lightning network in exchange for using each others nodes. Got it

I do recognize this as a separate layer. Its one of the reasons I keep saying bitcoin and segwit instead of PUTs.

Or a mesh could be built into SAFE making PUTs the universal currency of the internet which would decomplicate things a bit and would be nice.

1 Like

I have submitted the idea to the bitcoin subreddit for support with configuring a program that would enable this capability.

1 Like