Let's fork the SAFE network

Fortunately this forum doesn’t have downvoting. :smiley: Because this is probably a really politically incorrect thread. As a disclaimer, to not be totally evil against Maidsafe ha ha, this should be done in case the original SAFE network fails. The idea is to fork the SAFE network and create a version that is completely free for both GETs and PUTs and that has a flat coin inflation rate (like Dogecoin). And no “pre-mining”. 100% of the coins goes to the farmers.

Why? Because I believe that will become a much more popular network. The farmers will earn coins and the users can use the network for free. That’s win-win.

So, do I have a plan to do this? No, I’m too lazy at the moment but someone else could do it.

6 Likes

The farmers earn a coin which has no value. How is that winning?

4 Likes

Forks are fine in my opinion, as long as they have a distinct name so newcomers don’t confuse them.

8 Likes

Can you show me the math or the reason for the coins becoming worthless?

1 Like

Yes, I believe Maidsafe is counting on many forks. Could get messy. But it would also create healthy competition. Personally I would like IBM to fork the SAFE network without “pre-mining” and they can pay a lot of money to Maidsafe and the IPO participants as a donation or else it would be like stealing the project almost. So that it will be win-win-win.

1 Like

Why would there be any demand for the coin? It is not used by the network. It costs nothing to spam the network. Any sane farmer would put their resources towards the original network.

3 Likes

How many bitcoins are used today for buying storage space? My point is that a cryptocurrency can reach a huge market cap out of thin air so to speak. The spam risk may be there but in reality I don’t see the incentive being big enough. So forks could be good! As an experiment to see what happens.

1 Like

Forks are welcome IMO. If Safenet is successful when it’s launched I think we’ll see new forks all the time.

So the only thing you want to see different is no pre-mining and free PUT’s? The problem with that is that some corrupt people could flood the network with TB’s of random data for free. Up to a point where the network is storing 99.9% useless data that’s never requested again and 0.1% of “real” data. I don’t think farmers are gonna like that, they can probably make more money if they use the regular Safenet.

I don’t know about the flat coin inflation rate. On SAFE you won’t be able to control the number of coins farmed. Quite different from using a block-reward etc.

2 Likes

But in practice who would bother? The spammers want money. There is hardly any money in spamming the network. The spammers have other things to spend their bandwidth on.

A flat inflation rate will be distributed evenly over time, so when the network grows then each farmer will earn less, but that’s a good first-mover advantage incentive so I think it would work.

People can fork all they want, but I think i’ll have @ dirvine’s (NEVER DISTURB THE CORE CODERS) soulfood, because he took time to prepare this meal. But I don’t blame people, because there is fastfood after all.

Goodluck getting devs on board, because the idea is that software is continuously being updated, to protect against future innovations/attack vectors.

7 Likes

IBM will be more than happy to start forking. IoT Market Forecast At $11 Trillion, Report Finds – http://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/digital-business/iot-market-forecast-at-$11-trillion-report-finds/a/d-id/1321100

2 Likes

Let me ask you one thing. If 99% of the dirt in the world became gold how much gold would you need to buy some dirt?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call Dogecoin dirt. And Dogecoin has a flat inflation rate.

The only reason dogecoin is alive is because it has a cute dog and is kinda funny. I wouldn’t imagine people with serious intentions and a few million dollars operating on that currency.

2 Likes

Ha! Dogecoin may not be the most serious cryptocurrency in the world but its flat inflation rate is an economical proof of concept.

I’m just saying, if I leave a hardware with 40 TB burning electricity and network bandwidth consumption with, say, constant 10MB/s, running 24/7, I’d like the reward to be at least worth something.

3 Likes

Yes, or just some corrupt government that wants to bring down the network. And they’ll be anonymous when they upload data so no one can know for sure who did it. Creating TB’s out of thin air is very easy.

2 Likes

I doubt there’s a lineup of companies that are waiting for v1.0 to fork it and start providing free shit to non-paying deadbeat “customers”.

Not just “worth something”, but at least enough to cover the ongoing costs of equipment and power (i.e. maybe you wouldn’t mind to manage the system for free, but that’s as far as people will go, IMO).
Oh and by the way if you have 40 TB (6+2 HDD * 6TB in RAID6, for example) you won’t be competitive against people with non-RAIDed setups as I wrote here.

2 Likes

IBM’s Adept actually used BitTorrent. Wouldn’t you admit that the SAFE network is a better solution for the Internet of Things than BitTorrent? IBM, and big companies like that can use such network as a foundation for a lot of IoT services. That’s a trillion dollar business.

1 Like

Nah, I won’t mine myself (on competitive scale that is), I’m just hypothetically speaking. It just blows my mind how some people think everything should be free. I guess if I go to a hardware store and ask for free 4TB HDD’s they’ll just say to me “sure, take as many as you need”.

4 Likes