Let's Create The First SAFE Web!

I’ve just replied on slack with more detail on how it will be done, but at the moment this is not possible as it needs the Launcher service and/or Firefox add-on to have additional API support added.

It is possible in a straight App though, eg written in Rust (and not going via the Launcher JSON), because you can access the API directly there. Just not yet from web/javascript.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: How to embed video using safe_dns_example?

I’d like to see step by step guide for dummies: How create simple safe page for site ring?

1 Like

Step 1) think what you want on it

Step 2) tell me

Step 3) I do everything else :smiley:

4 Likes

Awesome service @whiteoutmashups !
That is what I want:

Source:

And also I want to understand myself!

1 Like

Cool, I might actually give that a try. Anyone got any experience with GitHub - PistonDevelopers/conrod: An easy-to-use, 2D GUI library written entirely in Rust. to make simple GUI’s with Rust? Or does anyone know anything better?

1 Like

I’ve just replied on slack with more detail

what’s the safenetwork slack url? Anyone can join it?

Ok cool! So you want a webpage made for that text?

On the page you link to, the link for “Safers” goes to a site selling surveillance systems. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps this is a stupid question but how exactly does one create a page on the safe network. I mean I know how to code regular html and upload using FTP but the whole SAFE example and dns example system seems rather confusing.

Not stupid at all, and the point of this thread is to help anyone out who needs it. I’ll just summarise here as I think it is best we write definitive instructions when the network is there and people can “just do it” (;-))…

Firstly, you build a static HTML website, just like now. If it works locally in your browser then it will work from SAFE network. You might start with a single page, but relative URLs can be used to build a self contained website that has multiple pages.

As with the current web you need to upload it and publish an “address”. In the old web this usually means upload with FTP, and register a domain as an address. Done.

On SAFEnetwork, upload means saving the files to your SAFE storage (e.g. using the Uploader MaidSafe provided previously) or SAFEDrive (not ready yet) etc. I expect we’ll continue using the Uploader for now, until SAFEDrive is ready.

Then, so people can access it you register an address with the SAFE DNS - such as “blindsite2k” - and publish it (this was included as part of the Uploader example - so for now that’s what everyone will do). Once that is done, your website will be accessible as “safe:blindsite2k” etc. for people who have the SAFE browser add-on installed.

Detailed step by step instructions on will be available once we know exactly what the process is, and help will be available on this thread.

9 Likes

Epic Fail!
Need for revision 2!

Yes! That simple! There is no reason to make it complicated!

Fingers crossed… you ready!? :smile:

As a real journalist you’ll probably not gonna reveal your source. But what I would like to know, is it a good one?? :yum:

Source for what? I just like singing along to Neil with crossed fingers you know :wink:

1 Like

Messing with our mental health like that should be a bannable offence.

5 Likes

Made my simple SAFE Homepage! Nothing complicated I mind you.

https://goo.gl/1eI9h3

5 Likes

very cool, dude! did u use a template or do it all from scratch?

Had to learn some things from some templates but other than that made it myself. Bootstrap was extremely useful!

4 Likes