I’m learning a bit of Rust and starting this topic in case anyone is interested in discussing Rust or wants to help each other out with learning the language.
No need to be a programmer, anything to do with Rust is relevant to this topic including n00b questions. We can always create extra topics if needed, or maybe start a developer focused topic in the Dev forum.
What is Rust?
Rust is the programming language used to create the core of the SAFE Network, and was chosen because it is designed for building secure, reliable code in ways that avoid bugs and make difficult things easier to do well.
Official Rust Resources
- Rust-Lang (website) is a good place to start. Lots of good resources and answers to your early questions can be found here, along with links to lessons, examples, tools etc.
The Rust Programming Language (book).
An excellent tutorial style walk through all the features of Rust, free online and available in print.
Asynchronous Programming in Rust (book). How to use Rust’s asynchronous programming features (
- The Rust Standard Library (web reference)
- Async programming in Rust with async-std (book). An alternative book on asynchronous programming in Rust.
- VSCode/VSCodium works well as an integrated development environment with syntax highlighting, language and library reference using ‘intellisense’, debugger, clippy linter, and code formatter. See using VS Code with Rust.
Share What You Are Doing With Rust
I’d love to hear from anyone about their adventures with Rust! Please post as little or as much as you like on this topic about what you are up to, or are thinking about doing:
- might be an idea for an app you are figuring out
- maybe you’re reading something
- maybe you are trying to understand something that just doesn’t make sense yet
- maybe you are working on a Maidsafe issue
- or building a simple game for the hell of it
- maybe there’s a particular area that you are interested in, such as concurrent or parallel compassion
- or tell use what you’ve done recently, hope to do soon etc
- anything really
What are you up to, or thinking about with Rust?
This topic is a Wiki so anyone can add resources to this post.