Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Government Surveillance

This really hit home for me and showed me that I clearly see these things from inside my little bubble without the ability to make the implications clear for the audience although I think of myself as someone who is able to communicate technical things quite good to people who have no technical understanding.

But the last interview segment really made it clear that most people apparently need something really personal so they can relate to the implications. Really fascinating stuff how the show is able to pull these things off, the entire season has been really with these segments, but this one clearly takes the cake. Hats off to John Oliver and his team.

1 Like

Around 7m12s mark, there’s a claim that half of all Americans aren’t concerned about privacy.
It’s even worse in the EU.

I don’t mind the jokes embedded throughout the video (and most are funny), but let’s just notice how sad it is that something like that is necessary for the average sheeple to be able to watch the damn thing for more than 30 seconds.

Democracy has been a miserable failure.

Yeah, pretty sad state of affairs that you need to prep these segments with a joke every 2 minutes to keep the viewer interested, but that’s the situation we’re apparently in, so I’m glad that they’re doing something effective to inform people about fairly complex, albeit important issues.

They did a very good job with this weeks edition in my opinion.

1 Like

Democracy has always been a failed system. It allows for a tyranny by the majority.