Kickass Torrents seized

No wonder it’s been timing out the last few hours:

4 Likes

R.I.P. Kickass… The rating systems and UI were top notch. To think that this man could possibly end up in a disgusting gang riddled rapist infested animal coup that is a US prison is sad. Hopefully his legal defense can fight for a minimum security facility. Doubtful considering that too many greedy vested interests including pocketed judges would use this man like many others to set an example intent on generating a shockwave of crippling fear to any would be pirate.

Decentralized systems like zeronet and IPFS could fill the void but are not yet seamless enough for the average “torrenter”. The concept alone might scare off the skiddish. Tribler has a lot of potential in this space but is still very immature. I don’t see a suitable stable replacement for at least another 6 months. The pirate bay remains alive but suffers from regular overload and constant relocation.

This means yet another marketing point for SAFE. We need to strike while the iron is hot.

10 Likes

Very sad day today then, in terms of free access to information.

But couldn’t agree more :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I doubt that IPFS will protect anyone from federal investigation, it is not anonymous.

1 Like

Torrentz.eu is the best alternative I’ve found, with the least popups, cleanest (in every sense of the word) interface, fast to load, and comprehensive database.

2 Likes

It’s sad for this person although I’m sure he knew the risks involved. I think there will soon be a new favorite. They don’t really prevent anything with these arrests, just some minor discomfort.

2 Likes

http://kickasstorrents.website/

Please sign the petition to free KAT creator

2 Likes

I signed it too & shared on FB

also looks like KAT is back up on dxtorrent.com

3 Likes

Thank goodness. Wrestling with the pop-up mad alternatives was burdensome.

EDIT: An appropriate musical comment on the revival of KAT: - YouTube

2 Likes

It appears to be an inferior knock-off. Clicking on, say, the “age” heading in the search results produces popup ads and not the expected chronological sorting of the results.

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed that too, too bad. KAT was a great site, the other torrent sites that are around are not even half as good.

Yeah but I tried a few of the magnet links and they’re working.

Might be an old version of KAT also but far better than nothing

2 Likes

The Bitlord client works great, can search and stream directly.

1 Like

http://avxhome.in is worth a look, if you haven’t seen it.

It is not a torrent indexer, but a direct-download site on the freemium model. Downloads are limited 20KB/s for the freeloaders and you get a captcha to type for every chunk (say, 100-200MB). Such downloading can be automated (for everything except the captchas) with JDownloader (I have never got JDownloader to work on Linux, but it works perfectly on Windows).

It has many files (e.g. video courses) not found on torrent sites, and few popups.

1 Like

This is why we need SAFE. When something is out there it’s out there and can’t be taken down.

1 Like