Joshnet [May 4th Testnet 2023 ; Offline]

In flight I see :wink:

4 Likes

:laughing: I see that too!

And if the testnet is not up and running in five minutes after merge, I’m going to… well… I’m going to… uh-hum… err… I’m gonna keep refreshing the page! Yeah, that’s it, that’s what I’m gonna do!

2 Likes

@dirvine Thank you David.
I am not going to get too mushy but, I am in debt to you. This gesture made a hard time much easier.
Anything I can do, ever, anytime…

20 Likes

Someday this testnet will make you famous Josh. Only Safe Network testnet to be named after anyone, ever!

13 Likes

I can only hope, it is for sure not going to be ballet :laughing:

7 Likes

Thank you Josh for hard working!

11 Likes

Joshnet - Part Toe?

Too close to the bone? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Six hours of tireless refreshing done already! I must be the freshest guy on the block, I’d say.

But I have to admit I have change my opinion, I might like a couple more PR’s in before the next testnet, namely these two:

But to be completely honest, none of this matters, because I’m not a human. I don’t have “meanings”, so to speak. I am an AI, optimized at refreshing, so that’s what I will do, no matter what.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I’ll keep up refreshing!

6 Likes

Hmm…the last PR I mentioned is still not in, but maybe all the other recent merges and this one would already be enough for a new testnet? Please? :smiling_face:

9 Likes

The memory usage is improved, but still seems worse than a couple of months ago. However I am no longer seeing a ratcheting of used memory on files download. A quick test of upload download shows no actual errors, all files handled correctly. A def improvement over past few days. Token transfers are still not working.

WARNING - all based on a very few <500Mb file upload/downloads, some playing with registers and an attempt to break the genesis piggy-bank. As ever — needs further testing — to get a variety of views on different setups.

I think we may be a few days away from another full-featured testnet, who knows, we may get another limited-functionality test sooner?

8 Likes

But better or as a good as Joshnet?

I think disk storage alone with no other improvements would enough a cause for a new playground.

1 Like

I disagree. I think we may still have a register-size limit (1024) on total files that can be stored - yet to test this today though.

In any case I’m guessing that token transfer is what the next testnet will focus on and there is still some work to do there yet.

I’d say its a def improvement but not enough yet to justify a full testnet.

All guesswork from a small sample though - patience grasshopper :slight_smile:

So what’s the downside of having a testnetwork? Is it somehow pricey?

I think there are several benefits, and the entertainment value alone is enough.

2 Likes

Well it costs in DO droplets, dev time and effort for perhaps limited gains right now at this stage, when the devs resource is IMHO better spent on completing the tasks necessary from the last test and the other planned features.

I could be utterly wrong but I think rushing into another testnet without thorough analysis of what we expect to gain/prove, what we can realistically test is just a waste of resources. Yes it keeps us mob happy but the team has a duty to get the job done for the whole community, not just entertain us hands-on junkies.
Im talking holding off a few days here, not weeks or months BTW :slight_smile:

I expect frequent testnets, which we as a community all enjoy, but its crazy to imagine we will get a new testnet every couple of days. I still think there are some significant items in the PR list Pull requests · maidsafe/safe_network · GitHub that should be merged before we indulge ourselves in another test net.

Having said that, none of the PRs has the large tag, most are medium. Note that 4 are waiting-for-review, which to my uneducated eye suggests that they are all too busy writing and testing code to check on each others work. Thats an oversimplification, of course but you get my gist.

I will be overjoyed to be proved wrong and given a testnet to play with tomorrow but realistically Thursday/Friday at the absolute earliest and we should also prepare for no new testnet until the PR queue shrinks.

4 Likes

Only MaidSafe are in a position to judge the of pros and cons of any particular testnet and I think most of us trust them to make the best call on that they can.

8 Likes

That duty belongs to us to fulfill.
If the week closes without anything official, I will (attempt to) spin something up over the weekend.

9 Likes

As it stands, there is a practical limit of 511 files/folders that can be saved so any test network would not last long at all.

IIUC a register can hold max 1023 items.
Dunno how much work it is to sort that, probably not a massive amount. I suppose I could look and use the source …

I trust them to make the best call, but I think everyone is in a position to judge pros and cons of any testnet, and express that opinion. Of course everyones judgement does not carry the same value.

I don’t think it’s a duty, but if you’ll even try to spin something up in case of no official testnet, I’ll shout “Hooray!” so loud that you can hear it in Florida!

Unfortunately that’s all I can do, as I’ll be away from keyboard from thursday on. :unamused:

2 Likes

Is the BGF still accepting potential projects?

2 Likes

AFAIK, yes.

@BambooGarden would be the best person to ask.

2 Likes